Did I find an oddity?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
At a gun shop the other day I saw an old model Single Six. The serial number is 73573 which if I'm reading my RENE guide right means it was built in 1957. The odd part is that it looks to have the 4 5/8" barrel. I didn't think that barrel size was introduced until after 1957. I thought maybe I happened upon a lightweight model but it looks like those serial numbers all started with 200. Any thoughts? Also, it has the round gate in case that clarifies anything.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Your RENE guide is correct as it usually is. You are using it as you should, to educate yourself.
The Lightweights were out at that time but you are correct, they had their own SN range starting at 200000. Ruger may have done a few short barrel Single Sixes at a special customers request but it was not a catalogued item until a year or two later than 73573.

Another example that could be clarified somewhat by a ship date. Needs a letter from Ruger.

Might have shipped late enough to get the short barrel, the round gate adds to that possibility, or the barrel might have been swapped out later.

And of course the gate could have been swapped, as well. Lotsa "screwdriver variations" possible.

Interesting piece. Might never know for sure.

:mrgreen:

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
The RENE guide also says only SN 54431 is the only 4 5/8 steel frame known prior to 1959. Before I get too excited I have to go back and make sure my memory isn't playing tricks on me. I held several that day. Hopefully it's still there.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
If the barrel was close or even with the end of the ejector housing, yes it was a 4 5/8" barrel.

The barrel may have been swapped from a later gun.

Many of us cut back 5 1/2" barrels to 4 5/8". Not hard and easier to do Super single sixes with the screw on front sight. And they look very 'factory' when done right.

To know if cut, compare the location of the Ruger name/address on top of the barrel:
4 5/8" have a 9/16" space between end of address and front of frame.
5 1/2" and 6 1/2" have a 3/4" space.

I'd get the letter for $10, you could have a rare bird. Nothing we find with Ruger surprises me any longer!

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
That is good information. Thank you. I will be at the store when they open today. I remember holding it next to a 50th anniversary model and noting it had the same length barrel but the ejector rod was in a slightly different spot. Maybe it was cut. Either way I think I may pick it up. It seemed like a handy size and will make a good kit gun which is why I was looking at it in the first place.

street

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
Another example that could be clarified somewhat by a ship date. Needs a letter from Ruger.

Might have shipped late enough to get the short barrel, the round gate adds to that possibility, or the barrel might have been swapped out later.

And of course the gate could have been swapped, as well. Lotsa "screwdriver variations" possible.

Interesting piece. Might never know for sure.

:mrgreen:
By the time that the 73573 Single-Six was made they were being shipped with the round loading gate. The highest flatgate that is listed in the RENE is 61960. There are some round gates that are smaller then that number.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
This sounds a great deal like a 4 3/4" barreled single six I owned until it was stolen
that had a round gate, and a steel ejector rod housing with the old style XR3 style
grip frame and really nice walnut stocks with the old Black eagle, I sure with it had
not been appropriated by some low life, it would seriously SHOOT. I would post
the S/N if I had the sense in those days to document my collection to see if the
one you found might be close to the same manufacture date. :(

street

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
Indeed. My point is that stuff can get changed out, and if someone were up to changing a barrel, a gate would be no problem at all.
And my point is with that serial number! It it was shipped with a round gate then you wouldn't have to change it to a round gate, because it is already there on the gun.

street

Hunter
45flattop said:
This sounds a great deal like a 4 3/4" barreled single six I owned until it was stolen
that had a round gate, and a steel ejector rod housing with the old style XR3 style
grip frame and really nice walnut stocks with the old Black eagle, I sure with it had
the S/N if I had the sense in those days to document my collection to see if the
Per RENE, EXCEPT FOR ONE" the lowest RSS4, Single-Six 4 5/8 in. bl. is serial number 128,605. All RSS4s had round loading gates except the only known Flatgate 4 5/8 in. bl. serial number 54431.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
street said:
45flattop said:
Per RENE, EXCEPT FOR ONE" the lowest RSS4, Single-Six 4 5/8 in. bl. is serial number 128,605. All RSS4s had round loading gates except the only known Flatgate 4 5/8 in. bl. serial number 54431.

Good to know, thanks. I'll even more look forward to getting my initial RENE
copy which should be in a few days; after knowing those details I'm even more
convinced I should have joined long before now.