Bisley grip question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

K1500

Single-Sixer
I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, but I just don't get the Bisely preference over the standard plow handle. I have never been rapped in the knuckle with the plow handle, no matter what load I am shooting and I have large hands. Holding a single action without curling your pinky under the trip just feels very wrong to me. I wonder if the Bisley preference comes mostly from guys who have never tried it and insist on cramming all their fingers on the grip, or perhaps they can't get used to the 'proper' way of holding a plow handle. What am I missing?

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Have you shot both? I never cared for the plow handle. Regardless of hold. Never felt right. I could shoot it just fine. But never felt natural.

I picked up a 480 bisley. I was in love. It just feels natural. Especially once I had a set of proper grips made. What really surprised me is how much better it handles recoil.

I have a scoped 71/2 inch super redhawk in 480 with hogue soft rubber grip. A beast of revolver weight wise. The 480 bisley is a 4 5/8" open sights with laminate grips. Guess which one is more comfortable to shoot with the same full power loads. Something about the bisley that allows you to roll through the recoil opposed to it being driven into your hand. Compared to my plowhandle super blackhawk 44 with hot loads the 480 may have more muzzle jump but felt recoil is less.

There are definite advantages in the recoil department. Other than that is preference. Like some people like a glock grip whereas others prefer a 1911 style grip.

maxima2

Bearcat
To me the Bisley grip handles the heavy recoil best.

With light, low recoil loads either will work but the Bisley has room for all fingers and that makes it much more comfortable.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have both,,, and I can shoot both.
When Ruger first came out with the Bisley,,, I figured it wouldn't sell much. I resisted trying or using one. Well,,, when I finally got my head outta my rear,,,, & tried one in a 45 Colt,,,, I realized I was the one who was mistaken. I have found that the Bisley grip frame,,, FOR ME,,,, allows a more comfortable felt recoil,,, especially in the heavier calibers. And,, as time went on,,, I found I wasn't the only person who thought that.
As an instructor now,,, I teach that it's important that each person find the grip and or grip shape that fits their personal hand. Some folks prefer one over the other,,, while some can shoot many different styles easily. But,,, serious accuracy,,, and comfort is best when a gun fits your hand w/o any issues.

So,,, some like them, and others don't. But BOTH are excellent.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I don't like the way the plow handle rolls up in your hand and then you have to re-grip the gun. With the Bisley all you do is what you do with any other double-action revolver, hold on and absorb the recoil with your arms.

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't have a problem with the traditional 'plow handle'. In fact, I like it much better than any other (6-gun) grip-design that I've tried...but it's what I grew up with.
Others may have a different preference, and that's fine too. After all, we ain't all the same, eh?

DGW

s4s4u

Hunter
First time I picked up a Ruger Bisley it felt just like it was made for me. Fits my hand perfectly and shoots heavy 45 loads with ease. The plow handle doesn't feel right in my hand. To each their own I guess.

My hand was formed to the plow handle XR3RED nearly sixty years ago. It's the only grip that feels right to me, and I can get all my fingers on the grip.

That said, the Bisley looks like it would be a quite practical grip. I haven't tried one because I'm afraid I'd like it and I simply cannot start another "accumulation" at this stage of my life.

:mrgreen: :wink: :mrgreen:

CraigC

Hawkeye
K1500 said:
I wonder if the Bisley preference comes mostly from guys who have never tried it and insist on cramming all their fingers on the grip, or perhaps they can't get used to the 'proper' way of holding a plow handle. What am I missing?
Pretty sure that's not it. I have both, a lot of them. By a lot I mean 52 single actions, including half a dozen Ruger Bisleys, two Colt-type Bisleys, plus a mulitude of Colt type guns with the longer 1860 Army grip frame, an FA 83 and a Super Blackhawk. So lots of guns of all types, both those with room for the pinky and those without. I've been shooting pinky under for over 30yrs, in fact my first handgun was a traditional Uberti .22 single action. Nothing feels more natural in my hand than a Colt SAA/Navy/Ruger XR3 or Colt 1860, which is just longer. However, when recoil reaches levels where the plowhandle is not optimal, I want a Bisley. Why? Because it's the best tool for the job. I also love the way it handles, especially with a shorter barrel.

IMG_9429b.jpg

The FA 83 is quite comfy too!
IMG_9538b.jpg

As is the Super Blackhawk.
IMG_9211b.jpg

And the 1860.
IMG_9503b.jpg

IMG_9291b.jpg

And Colt-style Bisley.
IMG_6896b.jpg

K1500

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the feedback. I have shot a Bisley, but it's been years ago. I find that I do not have to re-grip the revolver with the plow handle, and it directs the recoil up (in a rolling motion) instead of back. Maybe it is a combination of hand size, grip intensity, and technique. Perhaps it is because I grew up with an old model plow handle. I will endeavor to try another Bisley, should the opportunity arise.