Old Army

Help Support Ruger Forum:

youngoutdoors

Bearcat
I have a new to me SS Old Army that my son and I finally got around to firing today. We had alot of trouble getting the caps to fire. We were using #10 caps and probably should have tried #11's. Well my Old Army didn't come with a nipple wrench. Can you guys tell me what size the nipples are? All my sockets are at work right now. I may look for a factory nipple wrench to purchase but need to dissassemble right now to clean. These Old Armys are very accurate and a ball to shoot.

Thanks and God Bless, Louis

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Make sure you use anti seize on threads. Yes, these were William Rugers pride! On page 126 of "Ruger & His Guns". R. L. Wilson, it reads of filling the cylinders with Bullseye powder. They tried to blow it up and couldn't. Do Not Try This. I am only saying this because this is amazingly strong Ruger. And barrels are same as on Blackhawks. Plus these are going up in value.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Try #11 caps. With 10's, you have to strike twice. I like to fill with 40-45 grs Pyrodex P. Mine are loaded, not capped. And waiting for me. Now that temps are above zero! Planning on shooting this week.

Coop

Blackhawk
CCI No. 11's. That is all I used to shoot with my 5-1/2 SS ROA's. I took two Top Ten Belt Buckles shooting those ROA's at SASS Winter Range.

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW7Fnc1vSGo

GOD, I wish Ruger would bring them BACK!!

32shooter

Blackhawk
Coop said:
CCI No. 11's. That is all I used to shoot with my 5-1/2 SS ROA's. I took two Top Ten Belt Buckles shooting those ROA's at SASS Winter Range.

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW7Fnc1vSGo

GOD, I wish Ruger would bring them BACK!!

Looks like they did, or at least a few of them. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=263565

cowpoke22

Bearcat
youngoutdoors said:
I have a new to me SS Old Army that my son and I finally got around to firing today. We had alot of trouble getting the caps to fire. We were using #10 caps and probably should have tried #11's. Well my Old Army didn't come with a nipple wrench. Can you guys tell me what size the nipples are? All my sockets are at work right now. I may look for a factory nipple wrench to purchase but need to dissassemble right now to clean. These Old Armys are very accurate and a ball to shoot.

Thanks and God Bless, Louis
A 3/16 nut driver is far superior to any nipple wrench. IMHO.
CP22

Rclark

Hunter
A 3/16 nut driver is far superior to any nipple wrench
I agree. I always remove mine every time I shoot one of my ROAs for cleaning.

I used to use CCI #11 all the time, but then started having to hit twice. I think the size my have changed? Anyway, I went to Remington #11s and problem was solved.