.480 Ruger Bisley

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sevastopol

Bearcat
Hi, all. Brand new to this forum. I am not familiar with single action revolvers (I own a couple Smiths) and have been researching for a while, having been interested in one for one reason or another. I figured I'd go with something in a common/inexpensive easy-to-load-for calibre, so I got a .480 Ruger Super Blackhawk :mrgreen: .
It is pretty much what I expected after having read up on it: not all that great of a fit/finish, but seems to be built like a tank.
I have not bought the dies/brass/bullets yet, but will be handloading for it. I have many powders, so I'm thinking I should have something that works.
I was wondering if anybody who has one might have any recommendations for a field carrying holster for it. The barrel is supposed to be thicker than the regular Super Blackhawk's, so your common holsters will (supposedly) not fit. I'd prefer not to carry strong (right hand) side. I looked at one (Simply Rugged?) that offered a holster capable of being used strong side, cross-draw, and attached to a chest rig. Seemed like a good option.
Any other comments regarding this gun are welcome.

Thank you.

dad45

Single-Sixer
The simply rugged holsters fit like a glove and are of great quality, I carry my BH 480s in the cattleman version which is more like a cowboy holster, I think you may be refering to the sourdough pancake holster which works as you say including with their chesty harness system, I also use that system and holster on my chest with a BH 44 and it is superb as well. So I guess I'm giving a thumbs up if you choose them

Sevastopol

Bearcat
dad45 said:
The simply rugged holsters fit like a glove and are of great quality, I carry my BH 480s in the cattleman version which is more like a cowboy holster, I think you may be refering to the sourdough pancake holster which works as you say including with their chesty harness system, I also use that system and holster on my chest with a BH 44 and it is superb as well. So I guess I'm giving a thumbs up if you choose them

The chest harness seems to ride pretty high. Do you find it comfortable?

Thank you.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Since you prefer not to carry strong side, I would get a Northwest Mountain Companion from Barranti Leather. It will be made to fit your gun and they are great rigs.

https://shop.barrantileather.com/products/northwest-mountain-companion

Dan

dad45

Single-Sixer
Sevastopol said:
dad45 said:

The chest harness seems to ride pretty high. Do you find it comfortable?

Thank you.
Very comfortable considering a large hunk of iron hanging there, and it has plenty of adjustment as far as where it rides

Sevastopol

Bearcat
Quite a few chest holster options out there. So far, I'm leaning toward the Simply Rugged Sourdough with a Chest Rig. The holster can be worn cross draw if desired, plus the chest rig can be used with holsters for other guns.

I appreciate the suggestions, and please let me know if there's anything else out there.

Also, feel free to add any comments about your experiences with this revolver and/or caliber.

Thank you.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I have the exact gun you mentioned. I use a Barranti belt mounted cross draw holster for mine. I have 5 of the Barranti rigs,,, and I've tried a LOT of stuff over the years. His work it among the best out there. Old gun writer,,, Skeeter Skelton used to say that "Next to my doctor, my holster maker is the most important person I know." Well, as a result,,, we who are in the know,,, hung the nickname "Doc" on Mike Barranti. His rigs are well designed,,, personally worn & tested by him, as well as others,,, and the details he adds make them a true treasure. My NW Hunter is by far the most comfortable,, and best design I've found so far if I go cross chest.

Now,, you also mentioned this is your first SA handgun. I hope you study or get good instruction on how to get a proper grip to make sure you get the best accuracy out of it. I shoot my 480's about to 100 yds easily,, and have FUN ringing 8" plates out there.

dad45

Single-Sixer
Sevastopol said:
Quite a few chest holster options out there. So far, I'm leaning toward the Simply Rugged Sourdough with a Chest Rig. The holster can be worn cross draw if desired, plus the chest rig can be used with holsters for other guns.

I appreciate the suggestions, and please let me know if there's anything else out there.

Also, feel free to add any comments about your experiences with this revolver and/or caliber.

Thank you.

I love the .480 and have both Bisley Blackhawks the 4-5/8" and 6-1/2", it helps that I am a fan of single action revolvers,
I believe there are two thoughts on this round one being lighter faster and the other being heavy and slower and I am in the slower and heavier hit like a sledgehammer school and have settled on a 410 gr wide flat nose traveling at about 1150fps which isn't exactly slow compared to older lead rounds back in the day but isn't exactly fast compared to modern day technology.
I wish there was an option in a lever gun to accompany the big revolvers but for now the 45-70 with a 405 gr round is the best companion I have for the big 480s
my opinion and experiences and 100 other folks will give you 100 different opinions to consider
hope this helps and by the way welcome from another relatively new member

dad45

Single-Sixer
tulsamal said:
There was a .480 lever gun... but they quit importing them and the owners won't sell them for less than a good used car!
You are correct on all counts, I am only aware of the 100 Rossi's that were made and don't ever get my hopes up.

I've got a couple of these. I really like them. It would work well for that gun.

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/products/guides-choice-chest-holster?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Jyb-Z_q2AIVhvhkCh1haAWEEAQYASABEgKzCfD_BwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHiM9cXuaWY

Enigma

Hunter
Just be aware that you may have a substantial wait for Barranti leather. I'm at a year and a couple of days, and still waiting patiently. Well worth the wait, but not suitable for immediate gratification (unless it's listed as in-stock)!

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes,, you will have to wait a bit on a Barranti,,, but it is WELL worth the wait. Now,,, he does have some stuff "in stock" and it ships quickly. Me? I do not mind the wait.

I have a few Simply Rugged holsters, they are great quality, and made for a lifetime. For a hunting rig the Sour dough is great. For the single actions I ordered it made for a Model 83 Freedom Arms, I have 4 5/8" 6" and 7.5" so I ordered it to fit the 7.5", no holster made to my knowledge is as versatile! On a belt this can be worn right strong side or crossdraw, and in more than one angle either way, high low forward draw straight draw or reverse draw.

I ordered it with the FLAP JACK for hunting, keeps snow and rain out, and hinges silently forward when drawing as if it were not even there when you draw, but rotates back covering the revolver and grip to protect it from rain and snow when hunting, or used on the trail in any weather condition.

Then I also ordered the chesty rig. This is a great hunting conversion to get these heavier larger framed single actions of your hip's and carried in a shoulder rig on the front of your chest or to one side or the other, which ever you prefer. But this is my favorite way to carry my scoped and unscoped hunting revolvers during my hunts. The chesty harness will also adapt many other holsters to a chest rig. I sometimes use the harness with my hosters

I will also say it is not specif to one gun like some holsters, and very adaptive. I have carried the new 454 Ruger in it as well as my Blackhawks in 45 colt, in a holster made for a Freedom Arms mod 83 revolvers, all from 7.5" to 4.5" barrels. The Blackhawks fit like it was made for them. I also use it for my 6.5" Single Six Bisley, it just sits a little deeper in it, but does not rattle around.

Rob at Simply Rugged is a great guy for my leather need's, he's skilled leather smith's.

The Simply Rugged with the flapjack snapped on can be sued with or without. Then a picture of Rob with chesty rig and same holster with the flapjack removed. I highly recommend the ordering with the flapjack even if you plan on using the holster without, it is great for hunting!
IMG_7417.jpg

Flap-Jack4.jpg

Sevastopol

Bearcat
I received a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake holster today. I placed the order on the 13th, so I got it pretty quick. I ordered it in oxblood, with the hammer strap and chest rig. Haven't tried it yet, but will report back when I do.