Which one and why?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KyScott

Bearcat
Ok fellas I currently have a Blackhawk Stainless Bisley 45lc/45acp extra cylinder 3.75" Model#0475 layed away $693.99. They now have the Blackhawk Stainless Bisley 45lc 5.5" Model#0470 in stock $609. I have bought many guns there so I'm sure I could switch if I wanted to. I like the extra cylinder for 45acp option on the 3.75 but also really like the engraved cylinder on the 5.5". Both are unfluted. Much difference in accuracy? Which one would you buy and why?

Gun uses- some conceal carry in a shoulder holster or sourdough pancake on the right occasions but doubt it will completely take the place of my 45acp Springfield xds 4.0 every day carry. It will how ever go with me probably 90% of the time when I'm hunting anything or just out on the farm not as primary hunting weapon but for defense, rifle backup, yotes, and other critters. Thanks a bunch in advance for you're experience and advice!

s4s4u

Hunter
I've have a 45/45 convertible gun but don't find myself converting much as I have grown tired of re-adjusting sights. I'd go with the longer sight radius and velocity improvement of the longer barrel unless you just want a 45 ACP revolver. JMO

Mus408

Hunter
I have the 5.5 convert also and 99% of the time it is used for hot .45 Colt.

Now if you don't reload I can see if you want to shoot with the cheaper .45 ACP with something like Buffalo Bore Heavy Colt for trail needs.

I like the 5.5 on this one since I already have shorter barrel .45's

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Well, I don't like the idea of backing out of a layaway but Williams offers a revolver that is similar to what you are asking about. Williams is out of stock right now on these but they get them in every few months in small numbers.

https://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/specSheets/0472.html

I would not use the 45 acp, and I have had one on the 5.5" but knowing how much better the Colt cartridge shoots in the revolver, I just can't see using the acp cylinder, but I reload. I would buy the 5.5" unless you don't plan on shooting out past 25 or 30 yards, 3.5" barrel really limits your ability to shoot 50 yards and beyond.

But If you don't reload I would still buy the 5.5" and invest the savings getting into reloading, it is the only way to make the Colt all it can be. I will also say the 7.5" is even better for out past 50, but does not carry as well as the 3,5" or 5.5". I find very little difference in carrying the 3.5" 5.5" but find the 5.5" easier to hit where I want, especially past 25 yards, and think the 5.5" is the best all round compromise for everything, I even sold my 4 5/8" as the 5.5" is the one I always grab.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Convertibles outclass most every other Ruger SA production gun. Those with real adjustable sights, that is!
You know what my vote is.

I've got an assortment of all of these. Unless you need to really hot-rod your .45 Colt loads, the .45 ACP is very comparable to standard .45 Colt loads, so I shoot .45 ACP almost exclusively.

You're really needing to combine your choice based on two different criteria. Size of gun, and which caliber option.

If I could have only one of the choices, it would be the full size .45 .

If I had two choices, I would have the full size model, and the smaller model. And I'd discover the smaller model in ACP would get most of my attention.

KyScott

Bearcat
Thanks for all the advice guys. JCW64 I wont back out on the layaway because I gave my word but I do wonder when Williams will get those back in stock. I have considered buying both LOL :idea:

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I'm a simple thinker. For self-defense go short barrel. For targets and general fun go long.

KyScott

Bearcat
Does anybody know what the convertible 5.5 inch model #0472 sales for at Williams when they have them in stock? JCW64 do you know when they will have them back in stock? Thanks again for all the advice guys.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
KyScott, I am a small FFL dealer and usually have these in stock. I just listed my last one on Gunbroker for no reserve so in 9 days I will know what it brings. I usually list these for $729 just to give you an idea but I decided to list a few guns at no reserve this time. I have seen them listed under $700 however.
I do believe it is about time for Williams to get some back in stock based on my buying from them the last couple of years. I do have a couple on back order. Of course Ruger could be busy producing some newer 2018 models so it may take longer.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I'd go with the convertible. If anything, it will have a higher resale value and potentially larger demand. I like the idea of multi-purpose firearms, and think a .45LC/acp blackhawk stainless bisley with smooth cylinder is a cool revolver to own.

KyScott

Bearcat
Ok guys I'm going to pick up the Bisley 3.75" Blackhawk tomorrow. I will eventually by a longer version of the same revolver probably sooner rather than later. JCW64 I looked on Gunbroker today and couldn't find you're listing. Can you shoot me a link? Thanks and take care.

eveled

Hawkeye
Ideal would be buy them both, and the cylinders all swap. I love the .45acp in a single action. They spent cases practically fall out on their own with the slightest touch of the ejector.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
KyScott said:
Ok guys I'm going to pick up the Bisley 3.75" Blackhawk tomorrow. I will eventually by a longer version of the same revolver probably sooner rather than later. JCW64 I looked on Gunbroker today and couldn't find you're listing. Can you shoot me a link? Thanks and take care.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/739280583

The model 0470 that your dealer has in stock for $609 is also a Williams exclusive so they should be able to get the other model as well when it becomes available. Both of the prices you quoted from your dealer are excellent by the way. I would continue to give them business.

ironhead7544

Bearcat
Six of one and half a dozen of the other. The 3.75" will be a bit better for CCW. Both would be good trail guns.