GP100, SP101 Or Speed Six /security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Ruger first foray into DA revolvers resulted in the "Six" series of them. (Speed-Six, Security-Six, & Service-Six.) Excellent guns,,, but no longer produced. It was said that Bill Ruger didn't make a profit on them. The re-designed DA gun was the GP-100 & SP-101 models. They are a different internal design, as well as having a different frame profile.

Most of it is personal preference. EACH one has their place. I happen to own some of the Six series as well as GP's, & SP's. ALL are good quality guns.

hittman

Staff member
Differences are mainly physical size of each gun, caliber availabilities and barrel lengths.

Personal preference varies for me.
The GP's are more of a range gun.
The Six Series are nostalgia and range guns.

The SP is the odd duck to me. Too heavy for concealed carry. Never cared to shoot them much at the range.
I've owned a few of them and always managed to sell or trade them away. I always thought Ruger should have made the SP in the size and weight of the J Frame Smith. They could have captured part of the CC market then instead of waiting for the LCR. Clearly it's got it's following and niche ..... just not for me.

I'm not a big GP100 guy, I like the rest of them though. SP101 is a comfortable gun and strong for what it is. Six Series, what's not to like. I don't have a lot of any of them, but if you appreciate revolvers, it's almost a requirement to have a couple of each. More for some people.

Bear Paw Jack said:
I'm not a big GP100 guy, I like the rest of them though. SP101 is a comfortable gun and strong for what it is. Six Series, what's not to like. I don't have a lot of any of them, but if you appreciate revolvers, it's almost a requirement to have a couple of each. More for some people.

I held off answering this til you beat me to it. :mrgreen:

Yep the SP101 is slightly bigger, and slightly heavier than a Smith J-Frame. In .357 it's still a 5-shot. I like them, maybe because of the extra heft. Ironically I've not carried or shot them for a long time. The Security/Speed/Service Six is the next step up, and still my favorite of .357 DA revolvers. The Six's are suave and debonair, and 6-shooters. Mine all shoot exceptionally well, and they carry quite well. I do not expect I'll ever wear one out. It's replacement, the GP100, is another size step up from the Six's, and is very well accepted by most folks. I've owed a bunch, and I consider them to be without a soul. For this size frame, I absolutely prefer the Smith 686. But overall still prefer the Security Six.

What WAYNO said. However, my 4" SP101 357 is my first choice for a companion gun to carry with my bolt action rifles when hunting. I too like the snubby stainless Speed-Six. I too do prefer the 686 over the longer barreled six series offerings.

Dave

Wow, tough call for me :D

I am particularly fond of the Six series as it was the first revolver I bought (1973, Sault Ste. Marie, MI, 6" blue, low back frame .357 Mag) and I now collect them.

That said, I do really like the GP100 and have a fair size collection of them also. I also shot PPC with a highly modified GP100 (when everyone else was shooting modified K frame Smiths)

SP101 has it's place. I a big guy so CC'ing it isn't a real big problem for me and it has a place in my CC carry stable (I CC the gun that fits the occasion and my attire). I just have to find grips that fit my hand because OEM grips just don't fit me real good (I have a .357 mag with Crimson Trace grips and it is what I CC when needed).

It would be extremely tough for me to choose a single gun if I had to. But it would probably be, if it was flat that I could only have one, a 5" Stainless GP100 in .357 Magnum. However, since I can have more than one, I have a bunch :D . I have my shooters and my collectibles and love them all.

In fact, I just got a 1973 blued low back Security Six 4" for a steal and am thinking (since I don't need it for my collection) of collaborating with Bobby Tyler to do something special with it.

s4s4u

Hunter
michael52 said:
what are the differences and which is the best IYO......... personal preference??

thanks

Best for what? Hunting? Concealed Carry? House gun?

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I like them all and they all have their place whether it is CCW, HD, range toy, hunting etc.

But if I were presented with a choice of those three in whatever barrel length/caliber of my choosing...

Six series all day every day!

biglmbass

Bearcat
RoninPA said:
In fact, I just got a 1973 blued low back Security Six 4" for a steal and am thinking (since I don't need it for my collection) of collaborating with Bobby Tyler to do something special with it.

What is meant by "low back"?

biglmbass said:
RoninPA said:

What is meant by "low back"?

The early Security Six's and Speed Six's had a slightly different design geometry to the grip frame, which we call a low back. Scroll thru this link and you'll find some helpful photos of both variations.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=262243&hilit=low+back

eveled

Hawkeye
Put me in the camp that thinks the SP is too big for what it is. If they made it a six shot, then I'd be all over it. A five shot revolver should be a pocket gun IMHO. If I need a holster and good belt, I might as well go with something bigger.

I'm an oddity I guess. I like J frame Smith's, GP100'S, and N frames.

The six series are the best of all IMHO, but out of production, and no more support make them a questionable choice moving forward. Again just my opinion's.

Thel

Blackhawk
"Put me in the camp that thinks the SP is too big for what it is. If they made it a six shot, then I'd be all over it. "

The cylinder diameter of the SP is about 1.35" and the diameter of a Colt D frame or new Cobra about 1.4-1.41". If Ruger were to increase the cylinder diameter 0.05 -0.06" then it could be a 6 shot .38/.357 and would be lighter due to the extra chamber. Seems like there would be a big market and with all the other new models Ruger is coming out with to blanket the market seems like it would be a winner. If they did I would be in.

michael52

Single-Sixer
so if you could only own one...which would it be

in the 2 to 4 inch version??

for mainly PD

i have owned all over 50 some years....wish i had them back

thanks

If for MAINLY personal defense, then I'd have to go with a stainless Speed Six .357 mag, 2 3/4" barrel. You can practice with .38's, load it for SD just about any way you want and be comfortable with the rounds you are carrying. Toss in a couple of speed loaders or speed strips and you have extra firepower. That said, make sure you practice as much with the speedloaders and/or speed strips to be sure you are proficient in using them under stressful conditions.

michael52

Single-Sixer
thanks

stressful is my middle name....JK

im 66 y/o and have had just about every gun imaginable at one time or another

wish i still had them all...guess we all do

thanks

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Some good posts. I have several of each gun.

Forget the SP101 with that lawyer trigger.
The GP100 is soulless.

The security six is a solid good looking six gun.

Latest posts