Old Model Super Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
I have a old model Super Single Six that the box label says 22 W.M.R. Caliber Revolver.The serial# is 60-1991X. How many cylinders were they shipped with. Any body have one like this.
Is this worth more than one that 22 caliber revolver Please see my latest post dated 2-12 below
Thanks,
Ron

with a serial number of #19,91x your gun is in a much later box, that box is from when they came out with a 22 mag ( after late 1959) and your gun is a flatgate Single Six,1955, an early gun , having ONLY a 22 caliber cylinder for shorts ,longs or long rifle cartridges,,,,,and a smaller bore diameter of .222"........
double check the serial number.........if its 6 digits #199,91x then its at 1962 ? and the box could be correct, and either way, a single cylinder gun, OR a convertible, a factory letter would spell it out,
and that high of the serial number range, kind of in no mans land of the serial numbers noted in various publications. 8) :roll:

questionable............ :wink:

street

Hunter
Per RENE some of the 60 pre-fix serial number SC6, Super Single-Sixes were shipped in ".22 W.M.R.Caliber Revolver" boxes. As for all Super Single-Sixes being convertibles,having .22 LR and .22 Mag. cylinders. That is not the case. There were a few "S" guns in the 500,000 range that were shipped with a .22 L.R. cylinder only. There were at least 15 Mag. only Super Single-Sixes made, only one found to date serial number 555430. Both of the above variation are extremely rare and the majority of Super Single-Sixes were convertibles.

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
Since the box is fairly scarce, does it make it worth more. The guy I got it from said he bought it new and it only came with the magnum cylinder. Dougans book from 1989 shows a picture of the box and he seemed to think they only came with the Mag cylinder. The cylinder does not have the last 3 numbers of the serial number. it is also longer than any of the earlier magnum Single Sixes.

street

Hunter
2sheriffs said:
Since the box is fairly scarce, does it make it worth more. The guy I got it from said he bought it new and it only came with the magnum cylinder. Dougans book from 1989 shows a picture of the box and he seemed to think they only came with the Mag cylinder. The cylinder does not have the last 3 numbers of the serial number. it is also longer than any of the earlier magnum Single Sixes.
We need pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Please. Both the box and the gun.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Look for serial # in white grease pencil on long side of box cover that should match the gun. Use good light; even if white grease pencil is rubbed off, you'll see the rub marks on the black paper.

Super single sixes began in 1964 @ # 400001-400005 then 500001-502607.

chet15

Hawkeye
2sheriffs, you will want to ask Ruger for a letter on your gun.
As mentioned by street, Ruger did produce at least 15 Super Single-Sixes with only the Magnum cylinder.
As to the Super Single-Six box saying .22 WMR, there is a range of the SC6 model in the 55xxxx range that that also has these SC6 .22 WMR printed boxes.
Whether Ruger had a special run of boxes printed for those few known WMR only guns I don't know, but I also don't think it is coincidence that during the same time period the SC6 WMR boxes were printed, Ruger was also shipping out 6-1/2" Single-Sixes with RSSM .22 LR printed ends. The standard RSSM box always had WMR printed on the end (whether they were mag only or convertibles), except for this one print run of RSSM LR boxes.
Personally I think the box manufacturer got the line type incorrect before the box paper was printed.
Let us know how your SC6 letters. If Ruger made one run of SC6M, perhaps a distributor requested a later small run as well.
Chet15

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
Ruger letter says it was shipped with 2 cylinders, but the people doing the letters don't dig to deep. I also have a Super Blackhawk. Dougan went through the records, and he lists it as shipped with a Brass Grip Frame. Ruger letter does not say it was shipped with a Brass Grip Frame. It was built in the time frame when they shipped them. The guy I bought it from said he bought it new and that's the way it was when he purchased it new . He did not know it was special and I did now then until I got a little farther into collecting Old Model Ruger Single Actions.
Ron

chet15

Hawkeye
2sheriffs said:
Ruger letter says it was shipped with 2 cylinders, but the people doing the letters don't dig to deep. I also have a Super Blackhawk. Dougan went through the records, and he lists it as shipped with a Brass Grip Frame. Ruger letter does not say it was shipped with a Brass Grip Frame. It was built in the time frame when they shipped them. The guy I bought it from said he bought it new and that's the way it was when he purchased it new . He did not know it was special and I did now then until I got a little farther into collecting Old Model Ruger Single Actions.
Ron

Here's the problem...Ruger's records don't say whether the gun shipped with two cylinders so they didn't get that out of the records, they will only have a catalog number...SC6 or SC6M. If they said SC6 in your letter then it did have two cylinders. Perhaps that is what they meant but I really doubt if they even know there was an SC6M
Chet15