Target & Compition Shooting

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RickFitz

Bearcat
I have a Ruger Mark 4 22 cal that I target shoot with. I am a novice shooter that would like to get into competition shooting but with a larger caliper revolver such as a .357. Can someone help guide me through what I am looking for to shoot competitively with a revolver. Figure a 357 is large enough but would break the bank in ammo costs. (I would like to shoot a stocker rather than purchase a gun I have to dump a lot of money into)

Barrel Length
Rounds 5 or 6
Trigger Pull
Sights
weight

RickFitz

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Do some research to find out what the discipline requirements are to be competitive.
Many have a stock class that you can shoot in with a stock gun.
Handloading is the only way most shooters can afford enough ammo to become
Proficient enough to keep their interest in the sport.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Find a club that has target matches. You'll want a good .38 for target work, namely a Smith & Wesson Model 14, or maybe even a .38 Special Auto pistol. In time you will want a .45 ACP target pistol so you can compete in all three categories. Clubs often sell reloads to their members at very attractive prices. You will likely end up reloading your own ammunition. There are three categories for bullseye competition: Rimfire, Centerfire, and .45 caliber.

If you continue you will probably want to stick with autoloaders, as there are stages for slow fire, timed fire, and rapid fire. In a club, you will find some of the nicest people on earth, all willing to help and encourage you in your endeavors. In addition, at the end of each year there is usually a dinner with awards presented and a general good time.

I was still in high school when I entered competition, used a Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum (With .38 Special wadcutters)for centerfire and a borrowed S&W K-22 Masterpiece to start out. My gun case was a taped-up shoe box, with cotton for ear plugs.

I worked up to Sharpshooter level by the winter of 1960 when the magnum vision appeared to me.

Bob Wright

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
You didn't mention what KIND of competition you are interested in. I shoot USPSA,,, but a SA revolver isn't allowed. I do shoot a 1911 & a DA revolver though.
Tell us what your desires are & we can help a bit more.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
The Mark IV and an SR1911 Target can do plenty well to get a beginner started in Bullseye. Very little upgrades to either to have a pair which would take a guy a long ways.

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
I would suggest IDPA shooting, International Defense Pistol Association. For a shooter on a budget, this requires the least amount of layout for gear. If you want to shoot revolver, all you need is a .38 Special (or larger) revolver, two speedloaders, a holster and that's it. There are IDPA matches everywhere....

Another neat thing about IDPA is that revolvers compete against revolvers, auto's against auto's, and shooters of similar skill compete against each other.

Here's a link to the IDPA website:

http://www.idpa.com/

22/45 Fan

Hunter
A .357 Magnum revolver does not have to shoot .357 Magnum ammunition. They can, and should, shoot .38 Special ammo which is a lot cheaper and easier on both the gun and the shooter. It is also easy to reload for at even better cost

Also consider a 9 mm semi-auto. 9mm is also available at reasonable cost, easy to reload for and pleasant to shoot.

I shoot bullseye, for years I used a 6" Security Six but now I use a Match Champion with .38 Special Semi Wad Cutters for center fire. In rimfire I used an early 22/45 but have recently purchased a Mark IV. I shoot the Match Champion better than the Security Six in rapid fire, I haven't used the Mark IV in a match yet but it looks like it's going to be every bit as consistent as my 22/45 was, just trying to figure out if it likes to be a little dirty like my 22/45...so far all indications there are that it's just as consistent clean as it is dirty.

Enigma

Hunter
As stated above, decide what type of competition you want to get involved in. That discipline will most likely dictate what type(s) of handgun(s) you will want or need in order to participate.