Accurate .22 Single Action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sjs

Single-Sixer
I have a new single ten and I very much like everything about it except its accuracy, which is OK for plinking but not much else.

I have owned several single sixes, which I liked very much except they too were not terribly accurate. I thought the single six problem was a barrel that tried to be both a 22LR and a 22WMR, so I thought the single ten might be made just for the long rifle and would be more accurate. No such luck.

I have very accurate autoloaders, both Ruger and other makes, and a very accurate double action revolver but I want an accurate single action. I cannot afford a Freedom Arms.

Anyone know of an accurate model of single action .22LR?

Is the Bearcat possibly more accurate?

contender

Ruger Guru
Well,, if you are looking for a smaller bore diameter to assist in accuracy,,, buy an older Ruger Single-Six. Buy one with a serial number below 150000. It wasn't until the 22 mag was developed that the bores were opened a wee bit to accommodate them. That was in 1958 if I recall correctly.

One possibility- try Paco's ACU'RZR, with different ammunition types. Some here have had good success with it.
http://www.pacotools.com/tool_discriptions

Decidedly more expensive route: a Freedom Arms revolver! :p I believe that they are offered in two different frame sizes, and have a multitude of options available.

I remember reading a review/article on the gun in Gun Digest around 1991, IIRC(?). They had nothing but glowing words for it, and had shot some astounding groups with it!

I believe that gun was the larger frame, and they referred to it as the "252 Casull."

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I feel your pain. What would it cost to re-barrel to a .222 ? I did have a Single 10 at one time but traded it for a CZ. My Single Six in Blue 5.5" shoots better than I can hold. Good luck. Jerry

sjs

Single-Sixer
That ACU'RZR looks like a good idea. Do you know if it works?

If I had 2 grand to spend on a .22 I would probably buy a Freedom Arms just for the accuracy but the truth is I don't think it looks as good as a Ruger. I don't think much of anything looks as good as a Ruger single action.

I have looked on line at Uberti's and Cimmaron's and Heritage Arms but I don't know anything about their possible accuracy.

As onehandgunner says, I have read a number of posts in various forums that some folks do get an accurate one. Even some guys used them successfully for silhouette shooting. Maybe I need to just keep buying them until I get a lucky one.

The accuracy tool may be the next best step. Thanks guys.

5of7

Hunter
Just as a general rule, I have found semi automatic pistols to be more accurate than revolvers. Now there are always exceptions to this, or any other rule, but this has been my unprofessional opinion after some 75 years of shooting.

I think the reason may be that the chamber of a semi auto in more in alignment to the bore, and the lead bullet also does not have as far to jump before engaging the rifling.

This is NOT to say that any semi auto is more accurate that any revolver, but, that the odds favor the semi auto in terms of accuracy. 8)

sjs said:
That ACU'RZR looks like a good idea. Do you know if it works?

I don't have any personal experience.

Our site administrator, "flatgate," has had some good results using it in conjunction with a Single-Six. You could try searching his posts for his experiences.

You should be able to find info on some of the various other forms, as well. Some folks might refer to it as the "Paco Tool," instead of "ACU'RZR."

Re: Paco Kelly Acu'Rzr tool...

My most used .22 Single Action is a KNR4. When I bought it, it wasn't particularly accurate. I used the Paco Kelly tool, and it did make a significant difference with this "compromise" bore. Over the years, I found myself using the Paco Kelly tool less with this gun, as the accuracy seemed to be improving. Don't know if microscopic fouling has filled the pores and tightened the bore, or if after many rounds and many cleanings, the barrel has smoothed itself out and it just got more accurate on its own.

And since the Bearcat also entered this discussion, I've owned many and shot even more. I have one now that is acceptably accurate. That's not necessarily a surprise in itself, but what is a surprise, is this is one of only a few that have shot to my point of aim.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
I took my new KNR-5 (2017 production) to the range today for its first outing. Offhand at 15 yards I consistently got 1 3/4" to 2" groups with CCI Standard Velocity and Mini Mag HP ammo. At 66 with extreme near sightedness and cataracts I can't shoot any better than that with any handgun. I have no complaints about this Single Six's accuracy.

Best Regards,
ADP3

K1500

Single-Sixer
It is very hard to match or beat the accuracy of a .22 autoloader. They have everything going for them, fixed barrel, chamber aligned with the barrel, sights fixed to the barrel, no gap to jump, etc. I have never had the pure mechanical accuracy of a MKII gov target model matched by any revolver, including a Smith 617, although the revolvers are close. My experience has been that the revolvers are more finicky when it comes to ammo selection.

Major T

Blackhawk
Both of my Mk I pistols are more accurate than any revolver that I have ever owned, including the S&W Model 17 and the Colt Diamondback. My Bearcat, loaded with Yellow Jackets, seems to be accurate, but the size and light weight do not make it easy to shoot. With a good rest, which helps offset the above, it prints pretty tight at 25. Example of one. I have never shot my stainless SS convertible. I don't expect that it will be anything to brag about.

Jack

CraigC

Hawkeye
Be specific, how accurate is it? Are you expecting the same accuracy you get from a semi-auto like the MK-series or Browning Buckmark? Because the Single Six will never win that match. A good .22 revolver should do 1-1.5" at 25yds with loads it likes. A good fixed-barrel semi-auto will easily halve that, or better.

how is the forcing cone and the muzzle of the guns barrel??? see many "short" forcing cones in the past few years.....a well as improper crowns, especially in the stainless guns..........
and as always, like gasoline in ones car, gotta find the right combo of ammo that works, shoots BEST in YOUR gun.....we all have favorites
what is a "group" to one person, is all over the target to the next one..... 8) :roll:

I know guys that a ONE hole group is not good enough unless it is a SMALL hole.... :?

Bullseye, plinking, bench rest or hunting, what'll do the job..... :wink:

sjs

Single-Sixer
I do not expect it to match my Buckmark. I hoped it might equal my Taurus Tracker .22. My specifics are not real meaningful for others because, unlike others, I cannot shoot a handgun well off the bench. I am not bad off hand however and I start up close and with 10 shot groups can get a good idea of what are flyers and what reflects the gun's intrinsic accuracy.

Tried American Eagle, Federal 510, CCI SV, Winchester Super X HV, and Wolf Match Target. At 7 yards I could not produce a one hole group, even a big one, and I expect to at that distance. I didn't record the group size because there was no point. I do recall at 15 yards the best I could do was about 4 inches and I shoot better than that. It seems there are three (out of ten) cylinders that are particularly bad as I was getting about that many flyers from every group, so next time I will mark the cylinders and try groups from each one individually.

As for the crown and forcing cone I do not see anything out of order but I do not even really know what to look for with the forcing cone.

I am hoping to hunt squirrel with this but can't risk shooting at any game as it is. I have not yet decided on whether to get the Paco accurazier or a Neil Waltz die, but that will be the next step.

It is a terrific revolver in every other respect so I am going to work with it until I get it right.

wwb

Hunter
Nobody has mentioned it yet, so I'll say try a range rod to insure that each chamber on the cylinder aligns properly with the barrel. If not, there isn't much that can be done without major surgery. :shock: :shock:

If they all line up properly, polishing the forcing cone can help - they're usually pretty ragged.

Accurizing a revolver is not a cheap proposition, and your average gunsmith is not qualified to do it.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Shooting a single action revolver is very different from anything else. If you have not even bench tested the gun, I don't see how any meaningful conclusions can be made. In other words, you really need to prove it's the gun and not the shooter before blaming the gun.