Ruger GP-100 all walnut grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GUNFUNCO

Bearcat
Have any of you seen any factory all wood grips for a GP-100? I just saw some that my guess is what they may be from. They look like walnut but might be some other kind of wood and have emblems on them. Could they be from something else like a super redhawk?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Ruger sells the OEM wood grips for the GP-100 Match Champion through their ShopRuger web site. I'm not certain of the wood (Pao Ferro?) they use. They are made by Hogue for Ruger and do not seem to have the Ruger medallions on them.

steveh326

Bearcat
I just ordered a set of cocobolo all wood grips from Hogue for my gp100. they have several options and styles and woods. I think I read where they said their Pao Ferro was like a walnut. I opted for finger grooves and checkered, hopefully will be here in a couple weeks...

GUNFUNCO

Bearcat
I just won an auction on some grips but I'm not sure if they are for a GP-100 or maybe one of the older ruger revolvers but the cut inside looks like they made be for the stub type grip instead of the older grip frame style of the security/speed six but the photo wasn't real clear-I'll know soon when I pick them up. It was worth it to me to take a chance. They do have ruger emblems and they are smooth, not checkered.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
steveh326 said:
I just ordered a set of cocobolo all wood grips from Hogue for my gp100. they have several options and styles and woods. I think I read where they said their Pao Ferro was like a walnut. I opted for finger grooves and checkered, hopefully will be here in a couple weeks...
I bought a set of Hoque Pao Ferro grips for my GP-100 and the version with finger grooves was all Midway had in stock. I then spend a fair amount of time with a Dremel, a sanding drum, fine sandpaper, a buffing wheel and wax getting rid of the finger grooves and restoring the finish. I've never found a handgun grip of any make where the finger grooves felt good to me.

steveh326

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
steveh326 said:
I bought a set of Hoque Pao Ferro grips for my GP-100 and the version with finger grooves was all Midway had in stock. I then spend a fair amount of time with a Dremel, a sanding drum, fine sandpaper, a buffing wheel and wax getting rid of the finger grooves and restoring the finish. I've never found a handgun grip of any make where the finger grooves felt good to me.

I put the Hogue rubber grips with finger grooves on my SRH and I like them a lot. I am hoping the wood grips from Hogue would be the same profile just in wood instead of rubber, but I guess I won't know for sure until they get here... I just wanted something a little different than stock. Midway didn't have these in stock either but said backorder was OK and supposed to ship early Feb.

rangerbob

Buckeye
The factory grips in the 5" blued GP-100's from Lipsey's are Roper style wooden grips with the medallion installed. I can't positively state they are walnut, but they sure look like it. Bob! :D

Thel

Blackhawk
At one time I believe Lett made a Rosewood grip that had the same shape as the factory rubber and wood panel grip. I think they came on some distributor exclusive models.

Tom-R2

Bearcat
I had a set of smooth walnut grips on my GP100 6" TALO I bought a couple years ago. They look beautiful, but I prefer rubber Pachmayr grips for shooting. I don't recall who made them.