I need grip recommendations...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cffarmervfl

Bearcat
I bought a fixed sight single six not long ago and had a good friend of mine engrave it for me....I'd like to find some nice grips to put on it without breaking the bank...I've put a few pics here to give an idea of what it looks like....
G26mvSk.jpg

kEWxKiG.jpg

pUSk7x5.jpg

c7IjLLm.jpg

Thanks in advance for the input...

Chase

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
41mag here on the Forum may have something in his stock you might like or you could reach out to Zane in Texas, he's also a member, lonestargrips.com I think that is his address, he can make you a set. Nice looking engraving, did your friend do that for free or a fee.

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't think Cary is doing any grips anymore.

Another excellent grip maker is a member here; lscg
Lone Star Custom Grips.
Zane is a great guy to deal with.

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
Wherever you go, my eye thinks dark horn grips will make the engraving really pop and not overwhelm the overall gun. Very tastefully done, she's a beaut!

cffarmervfl

Bearcat
I didn't get it for free but I did get a deep discount...I appreciate the kind words and recommendations...I agree that a dark grip would set it off

KyScott

Bearcat
That is one nice looking Revolver buddy! You're friend definitely has some talent.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
cffarmervfl said:
Thanks...I've been meaning to show it off for a while now...

About the darkest you can get in N. American hardwoods is walnut (assuming no staining or dye). If you want something more exotic you'll have to go with an African or S. American hardwood. Take a look here for pics of what's commonly (and not so commonly )available that a grip maker might have on hand or could order.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

There's literally thousands of images, so take your time and realize that there is a lot of variation in color and grain/figuring even within a species.

One of my favorite dark woods is Cocobolo, but finding a suitable piece for grips might be a little hard. It takes a beautiful finish. Here's a pic of a box I made (from a really nice piece I found) using it for the sides:

WvDUOGh.jpg

Hope this helps. Beautiful engraving, btw. :D

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Ivory, or what passes for it, carved longhorns with red jewel eyes. It'll be Saturday night at the Long Branch every time you look at it.

muzzleloader said:
Wherever you go, my eye thinks dark horn grips will make the engraving really pop and not overwhelm the overall gun. Very tastefully done, she's a beaut!

+1. I would be looking at some sort of horn, as well. I really like dark grips on stainless guns.

I'm not an educated connoisseur of engraving, but it surely looks like a nice job to me!

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
I just got a set of beautiful English Walnut grips from Chigs. They were a set that was already made. Prices are really good. I ordered them on Saturday and they arrived in the mail on Wednesday. He ships for free if you are a Veteran.
Ron

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Be careful with cocobolo. Lots of people are very allergic to it. I turned some a few years back and got a horrible poison ivy like rash everywhere the shavings hit my body. In my hair, down my shirt, all over my arms. The itch and blisters drove me crazy for about 6 weeks. Thank goodness I was wearing a respirator.

Bloodwood is one of my favorites. It is a deep maroon with prominent grain. It is fairly hard, but works well and finishes beautifully. Might be too strong a color for some purposes, but it is great stuff.