Was excited to pick up my Bisley S Seven and..

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dad45

Single-Sixer
and... it is being returned.
I normally don't post to complain and I understand these are mass produced on an assembly line and not custom fit but I decided to return this on principal if that makes sense
the 2 problems are the front sight screw and base are buggered up like bubba worked on it and second the grips are a poor fit.
in the past I have not been nearly as critical about grip as some again understanding these guns are not custom shop products and I have not experienced the troubles others have
with that said the rest looked great, parts and pieces fit well and the blueing looked great in person
I don't use hosting sites for pics so if you want to see them you will have to visit the other Forum
I'm excited for a replacement and love what Ruger and Lispeys have been collaborating on

Dad45

Ethang

Blackhawk
How was the B/C gap? Did the loading issues get corrected or did you not get that far into the inspection?

I have been debating one since it got announced but really want a 7.5 barrel.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I make my own grips , so the grip fit would not have been an issue for me. I would have called Ruger and requested a new front sight and screw. They would send you one for free.
If everything else was good, I'd be happy with it.

dad45

Single-Sixer
biglmbass said:
Will be curios to see if they send it back with better or worse fitting grips.

I have sent guns back before and always had good luck with repairs, so I am confident it will come back better

Varminterror

Blackhawk
A buggered screw and poorly fit grips should have been parts Ruger would just send out, not require return... Did you ask about having replacements sent?

dad45

Single-Sixer
Varminterror said:
A buggered screw and poorly fit grips should have been parts Ruger would just send out, not require return... Did you ask about having replacements sent?
I did not accept the gun, so I didn't even try to call.
Sometimes in a flash we don't always make sound decisions or at least for me that can be true.
I should say that I don't even blame QC because I'm sure they have so many units to see every day but what bugged me is that whoever buggered up the screw and sight knows they did it and passed it on anyways, I work with tools I know when I bugger something up
But again read my second sentence
Next time I may be smarter
And again I love the new choices brought by Lipseys and Ruger hats off to them for that

I'm excited for a replacement and love what Ruger and Lispeys have been collaborating on

Dad45[/quote]
dad45 said:
biglmbass said:
Will be curios to see if they send it back with better or worse fitting grips.

I have sent guns back before and always had good luck with repairs, so I am confident it will come back better

dad45 said:
Varminterror said:
I did not accept the gun, so I didn't even try to call.
Sometimes in a flash we don't always make sound decisions or at least for me that can be true.
I should say that I don't even blame QC because I'm sure they have so many units to see every day but what bugged me is that whoever buggered up the screw and sight knows they did it and passed it on anyways, I work with tools I know when I bugger something up
But again read my second sentence
Next time I may be smarter
And again I love the new choices brought by Lipseys and Ruger hats off to them for that

I'm missing something here? You did send it back to who? Ruger doesn't sell direct?

or who sent it back to where?

you are getting it back right?

dad45

Single-Sixer
Wildcatter,
I see where I confused the conversation, actually I did not accept the gun and asked for the dealer to return it to Lipseys for another.
However to confuse things more I decided today to accept it if it hadn't already been sent back and it hadn't so it is now in my possession and I will be calling Ruger for replacement parts

lark63

Single-Sixer
Yep- stainless grip fit has been pretty bad lately. Plow handle and Bisleys. A little work and you can clean up the grip frame as desired.
I would call for new parts on the sight- as you are.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
If you get new grips from Ruger they may fit the same as the original. I have found with grips that fit to small the problem is the assembler did not remove enough metal off the grip frame. If anyone has ever bought a Ruger gripframe you know they are cast oversized. The stainless grip frames are the worse.
You can still send the gun back to Ruger if you feel like it. They will send you a prepaid shipping label.

I had the grip problem as I stated, 3 times I got new grips from them without a question, three times I got the same thing I had. Grips finished W A Y smaller than the grip frame, on all three of my Bisleys, 5." 45 Colt, Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter .45 Colt, and the Single Six.

This was the .22 RF Bisley ACRYLICTNK ran in the classifieds. Finally, since I love Black Micarta grips, I decided to order a set from Hogue. When they cam I put them on my 45 Colt Stainless Bisley, and the Colt grips that fit pretty well on that gun I tried on the Single Six. Yep they fit as good as they did on the .45 Colt.

But the Hogue are plenty big, I like the more hand filling fit. They also fit the grip frame as well as any Ruger grip I have had on any Bisley, but are not short anywhere, wherever there is a fitting issue they slightly are over size which can easily be made perfect. The Micarta also had an issue with the location of the alignment pin, this is easily fixed by filling with epoxy and redrilling to the perfect location for the exact grip frame they are going on.

So after overnight letting the epoxy set and re-drilling the location hole, and about 30 minuets with some minor sanding and polishing the fit the frame perfect now on the 5.5" 45 Colt. This tells me it aint the frames, it's the sloppy way undersized finishing of the grip's from Ruger. I learned a long time ago working with any material, finishing slightly larger is fixable, finishing slightly smaller creates trash!

I liked the Micarta grip's from Hogue so well, I ordered a set of Walnut for the Single Six, even though the factory grips from the 45 fit the frame farely well. For the price I was very satisfied with the look's and feel, and again, they were slightly oversize to the frame in a couple places, but would be satisfactory and as good as Rugers best fitting grips. But with a lightly sanding and hand buffing fit perfect. The Hogue Walnut grips also are more hand filling and feel and fit not only the frame better, but fit my hand better.

If Hogue can mass produce a grip that fit's this close there is no reason Ruger can't. I will say if anything is off from one frame to the other it is the Location Pin on different frames may be in a slightly different location. I have found all mine seem to be slightly differently from the ones I have. I will simply have a set of Hogue's ordered in my flavor for whatever Bisley I decide to buy next, I was that happy with these.
IMG_7438.jpg

IMG_9967_1.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The locating dowel hole is drilled with a jig, it's location doesn't vary relative to the grip frame. The outline of the grip frame is what varies because it's hand finished.

When the grip fits square in the upper corner it aligns with the dowel.

If the grip outline doesn't match the grip frame outline when on the dowel, i.e., short on one side and hanging over on the other side, the grip frame needs fitting where it sticks out and the grip panel needs fitting where it hangs over on the other side. Easy to do on a stainless gun, but requires re-bluing if not SS.

Enigma

Hunter
I just find it extremely frustrating in this day of CNC machines that can mill/turn parts to within a thousandth of an inch, Ruger sends out guns where the grip to frame misfit can be measured with a ruler. One might think that they just don't care...