New 32 H&R Single Six Bisley at Lipsey's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
I just spotted a new 32 H&R Single Six Bisley at Lipsey's. It's #6538, 6.5" barrel, unfluted cylinder, and blue and they are in stock. I don't think this has been talked about before, if it has, I'm behind in my mission. Bob! :mrgreen:

SPBhawk

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Yeah, just released recently. I think it's a distributor exclusive special run for Talo/Lipsey.
It'll make a fine 327 Fed Mag with a 5 minute chamber lengthening.

Would that work in the smaller single six frame ?

biglmbass

Bearcat
SPBhawk said:
Hondo44 said:
Yeah, just released recently. I think it's a distributor exclusive special run for Talo/Lipsey.

Might as well get the new 5 1/2" Bisley Single Seven from Lipseys.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
SPBhawk said:
Hondo44 said:

Yes, same frame size as the 327 Single 7. Although the S7 has a sightly longer cyl.

I do not build cylinders and did not like the price of custom built cyls. I decided the .32 Mag cyl would have to do. Factory loaded .327 Mag cartridges above the rim are only ~.003" longer than the factory 32 H&R chambers. Originally I thought I'd have to run the factory loads thru my seating die and seat the bullets a couple of .001" deeper in the case, but didn't have to. Believe it or not they function perfectly by taking advantage of the barrel/cylinder gap spacing. I know it might be counterintuitive but as they say, truth can be stranger than fiction. So even though the .327 Fed mags in the 85 Gr HP Hyrda shock and 100 gr FP loads are longer above the rim than the .32 H&R Mag chambers, the ~ .005" bar/cyl gap is sufficient for the loaded cyl to rotate w/o interference.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I am a .32 revolver fan and have several. My desires for the .32's are for use "On the Range and In the Field" for target and edible small game. To me, the .32 H&R is superior for those two uses. In fact, I moslty load my .32 H&R's at 800-900 fps. I have several bullet molds. A really good one is the RCBS 98 gr. SWC but it only comes in two cavities. I tend to shoot a lot and prefer five or six cavity molds. I bought a five cavity NOE mold that was a copy of the RCBS mold. It shoots extremely well in a number of my .32's. I also have a group buy Lee six cavity mold for a 100 gr. Keith SWC bullet. This one works VERY well, also.

I bought a Mihec multi-cavity mold for a 98 gr wadcutter that also shoots very well. Lee, at one time made a 90 gr. wadcutter six cavity mold that worked well. I loaned it to someone and it never came back. Unfortunately, it is no longer available.

So, if I were not "over run" with .32's, I would jump all over that Lipsey Single Six in .32 H&R. In fact, you can load that .32 H&R, safely, to real magnum velocities, for varmint use. They are very nice revolvers.

RangerBob;
Thanks for the heads-up.

Dale53

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Dale53 said:
I am a .32 revolver fan and have several. My desires for the .32's are for use "On the Range and In the Field" for target and edible small game. To me, the .32 H&R is superior for those two uses. In fact, I moslty load my .32 H&R's at 800-900 fps. I have several bullet molds. A really good one is the RCBS 98 gr. SWC but it only comes in two cavities. I tend to shoot a lot and prefer five or six cavity molds. I bought a five cavity NOE mold that was a copy of the RCBS mold. It shoots extremely well in a number of my .32's. I also have a group buy Lee six cavity mold for a 100 gr. Keith SWC bullet. This one works VERY well, also.

I bought a Mihec multi-cavity mold for a 98 gr wadcutter that also shoots very well. Lee, at one time made a 90 gr. wadcutter six cavity mold that worked well. I loaned it to someone and it never came back. Unfortunately, it is no longer available.

So, if I were not "over run" with .32's, I would jump all over that Lipsey Single Six in .32 H&R. In fact, you can load that .32 H&R, safely, to real magnum velocities, for varmint use. They are very nice revolvers.

RangerBob;
Thanks for the heads-up.

Dale53

Say it isn't so! Dale53 saying "no" to a 32 revolver? Next thing you know we'll hear about a liberal politician with his hands in his own pockets! :D

Froggie

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
Got one. Better fit and finish than several Rugers lately and a .314 boolit is a slip fit in the cylinder mouths. Good forcing cone . Shoots very well but 6" high at 25 yards with the rear sight screwed down totally, Is there a different front sight height between the .32"s and the .22"s? Maybe I got the wrong sight on mine?

gak

Buckeye
Unless mentioned and I did not see, look further on Lipsey's and there is also an identical .327 Bisley. Odd, if delightful, someone has convinced Lipseys/Ruger to do both. Other than the 5.5" blued Vaquerito .32 H&R of limited release two or three years ago, and perhaps an extra run of Birdsheads somewhere in there, this is the first discreet .32 H&R Single Six, certainly blued, I think in decades (since the Vaquerito was discontinued, further back yet for an adjustable sight).

Btw, "Vaquerito" is not just a colloquialism for the small frame, cowboy/Vaquero style fixed sight .32s. Unbeknownst to many, it is actually a moniker Ruger used early on in ads to describe the fixed sight Single Six .32s, though to my knowledge never formally used or in recent times.

biglmbass

Bearcat
gak said:
this is the first discreet .32 H&R Single Six, certainly blued, I think in decades (since the Vaquerito was discontinued, further back yet for an adjustable sight).

Ruger also made a stainless single six .32 H&R last year. Catalog #06518, 5 1/2" barrel, adjustable rear sight & fiber optic front sight. Wish I'd been able to snag one but I only became aware of them after the limited supply dried up. Could be wrong, but I think that was/is the first ever Single Six .32 in stainless for Ruger.

I will refer to both as a Single Six, as they both use the same Single Six frame. But the 327 Single Six has a longer cylinder than the 32 mag. It may feed some ammo I don't know, but I do know for some bullets that allow full use of the cylinder for longer seating OAL's it is capable of higher velocities at lower pressures in the 327 cylinder.

The Same loaded bullet with a shorter OAL in the 32 mag cylinder will see higher pressure, and lower velocity, and be restricted to lighter powder charges doing it.

I went with the GP-100 for this very reason. The longer cylinder will allow longer nosed bullets, in 120 to 140 grains, and give higher velocity because I can run even longer OAL for these loads. There is no smaller space can deliver equal results for any caliber.

If like Dale53 said and range and small edible game are your main use. Or you only shoot factory ammo, it may not matter. But when fastest available or heavier longer bullets are wanted for larger varmints, it is much better to buy the revolver with the longer cylinder made for the longer 327 ammo.

CraigC

Hawkeye
It makes no sense to rechamber a .32H&R if the cylinder is not long enough for standard loads. If you want a .327, buy one.

biglmbass said:
gak said:
this is the first discreet .32 H&R Single Six, certainly blued, I think in decades (since the Vaquerito was discontinued, further back yet for an adjustable sight).

Ruger also made a stainless single six .32 H&R last year. Catalog #06518, 5 1/2" barrel, adjustable rear sight & fiber optic front sight. Wish I'd been able to snag one but I only became aware of them after the limited supply dried up. Could be wrong, but I think that was/is the first ever Single Six .32 in stainless for Ruger.

Ruger had the stainless Single Six guns around 1994 and 2001 to 2004 and some cleanup guns in '09 out of Southport, but they were all fixed sight guns.
The KSSM5 fron 2015 was a Davidson's release, along with the same in blue.
Just can't have too many 32's.

Joe S.

Hunter
The only reason i would prefer the Single Six (non Bisley) over the S7 is the fluted, 6 shot cylinder. I dont mind the non fluted seven holer, but would prefer it to have a 6 shot and fluted cylinders like the originals.

biglmbass

Bearcat
GLASSMAN said:
biglmbass said:
gak said:

Ruger had the stainless Single Six guns around 1994 and 2001 to 2004 and some cleanup guns in '09 out of Southport, but they were all fixed sight guns.
The KSSM5 fron 2015 was a Davidson's release, along with the same in blue.
Just can't have too many 32's.

What I meant to convey is that the #06518 gun is *I think* the first stainless with adjustable sights .32 H&R from Ruger.