Redhawk in .357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

teuthis

Single-Sixer
Eight shots. Wow! That brings this revolver to a new level. I imagine that the Redhawk frame brings the felt recoil down some too. Will hav to look into this one!

JStacy

Blackhawk
I had a 51/2" and it was an excellent gun, shot faster over the chronograph that some of my six inch guns. I have an old 6 shot 71/2" Redhawk and you could probably put thermonuclear charges in it and it would work fine. I have shot the loads recommended for the Freedom arms 357 in it and no problems.
Speer 146JHP at 1660 is a very effective load on most creatures, too hot for small game but fun for varmints.

ebg3

Bearcat
bayou5252 said:
Same here. I've got a 1984 vintage 6 shot RH WITH A 7.5" tube. One of the beefiest 357s ever produced....
This is what I wish Ruger would bring back out. 7 1/2" barrel and 6 shots. Would make a great long range steel gun.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Glad they brought out the 4.2 & 5.5 barrels, I'm almost tempted. I have a 5.5 Redhawk in 41mag and love the balance.
But isn't past time to update the entire Redhawk line lockworks to the 2 spring design of the SuperRedhawk-GPs-etc?
The single spring Redhawk is a good, highly reliable design, but it does leave quite a bit to be desired in the ability to tune the trigger for best possible action.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
When I saw a 2.75 inch non-fluted .357 that was round butted and an 8-shot, I thought it was a Custom Gun!

Mus408

Hunter
Sal1950 said:
Glad they brought out the 4.2 & 5.5 barrels, I'm almost tempted. I have a 5.5 Redhawk in 41mag and love the balance.
But isn't past time to update the entire Redhawk line lockworks to the 2 spring design of the SuperRedhawk-GPs-etc?
The single spring Redhawk is a good, highly reliable design, but it does leave quite a bit to be desired in the ability to tune the trigger for best possible action.

How do you tune the Redhawk trigger....spring kit?

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Mus408 said:
Sal1950 said:

How do you tune the Redhawk trigger....spring kit?
At it's most basic, yes. Wolff and others have spring kits of the Redhawk. Problem being when using a single spring for both the hammer and trigger return, as you go down in spring pressure it directly and immediately lowers the hammer impact on the primer reducing reliable ignition. That's the short of a complicated subject.
But a good trigger job involves much more than just throwing in a spring or two, and a well done Redhawk can still be massaged into an excellent trigger. It just could be better with a dual spring design.