sp 101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Welcome to the forum! No, my son and I have one each with no problems. You might describe your problem in a little more detail. Type of ammo used, how old is your gun etc
gramps

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum and yeah .... more info is needed.

New gun?
Used gun?
Factory loads?
Crummy hand loads?
Super hot hand loads?
Gun never been cleaned?
Stick in all cylinders?
Just one or two?

Hit us with some specifics and even a pic or two if you can.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Besides what hittman mentioned, do you have "problems" with having all the cases clearing the cylinder?
I have two SP's, and no problems to speak of. I do my own reloading, and have noticed that Ruger cylinders are rather tight-diameter (even on my GP) and some factory stuff is tight going in. Which is one reason to handload, with all empty cases getting a full resizing.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
There are several things than can make extraction difficult and they are not limited to SP-101's: carbon in the chambers, rough chambers, burrs on the star, etc.

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
Shoot a lot of .38's and you will get a carbon build up that will make extraction of .357 difficult. (as well as insertion if you do not clean the cylinders good.)

DonD

Single-Sixer
Never have issues with heavy, carry, JHPs. After a lot of rounds of wadcutter, it takes a bit more push on the extractor rod but nothing major. Cured by cleaning which I do after every range trip. Don

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I have had no real issues. Sometimes the spent cases do not just fall out and must be pushed a little. I guess this is normal. The same happens with my .327 Mag in SP-101.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
Hot handloads can sometimes cause extraction problems, but I guess you aren't shooting super hot loads in that SP101.