Blackhawk Cylinder Length

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sjs

Single-Sixer
As I mentioned in another thread here, I ordered a New Model Blackhawk 45 Colt. I don't know how long it will take to come in but I want to start developing hand loads for it. I assume I will be OK if I stay with a cartridge overall length of no more than 1.600 but I am wondering if I can load longer than that with heavy bullets.

Can someone tell me how long a COAL the Blackhawk will safely take?

s4s4u

Hunter
The cylinder should be about 1.7" and then you can add the thickness of the rim.

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
It depends on if you get the full sized large frame Blackhawk or the medium framed Blackhawk. Full size Blackhawks can take the Ruger Only loads to 30,000psi if you want to push them that far, these have two digit prefixes in the serial numbers.

The medium frame guns have three digit prefixes in the serial numbers, and should be limited to pressures equal to 45 ACP+P which is 23,000psi and should NOT be used with the Ruger Only loads in published load manuals.

Cylinders are larger in the full size guns, and they are longer than the medium frame cylinders. You can tell the cylinders apart by the ratchet star on the rear of the cylinder. The full size guns have a round ratchet star (left cylinder in the photo), the medium frame guns have a scalloped ratchet star (right cylinder in the photo).

sjs

Single-Sixer
Thank you very much. These comments are cumulatively the clearest explanation I have seen yet on the differences between the two models.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
DougGuy said:
It depends on if you get the full sized large frame Blackhawk or the medium framed Blackhawk. Full size Blackhawks can take the Ruger Only loads to 30,000psi if you want to push them that far, these have two digit prefixes in the serial numbers.

The medium frame guns have three digit prefixes in the serial numbers, and should be limited to pressures equal to 45 ACP+P which is 23,000psi and should NOT be used with the Ruger Only loads in published load manuals.

Cylinders are larger in the full size guns, and they are longer than the medium frame cylinders. You can tell the cylinders apart by the ratchet star on the rear of the cylinder. The full size guns have a round ratchet star (left cylinder in the photo), the medium frame guns have a scalloped ratchet star (right cylinder in the photo).

Thanks for this picture!

akbluz

Blackhawk
What a wealth of knowledge of all things Ruger as further evidenced by this post. I continue to be amazed by the things I learn here....and presented in a courteous non-condescending manner. Thank you all.
I am so lucky to be a member here.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Just FYI before anyone jumps to an erroneous assumption: this is only true for .44 and .45 cartridges; the ratchet star circle has no scallops on the old model mid frame cylinders which are only 38/357s, and as I recall, not needed on the new model mid-frame 357 or 9mm cylinders either for case head clearance.

So we have to fall back on the gas ring length to discern between old and new model cyls. And cyl diameter to discern between new mid-frame and new large frame 357 cyls.