New Bisley Talo - Turnbull Case Colors

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Update:
Took mine apart this weekend and installed the Power Custom hammer and trigger kit.
First things...the cylinder throats measured with a ball mic are .452... call em plus/minus .0002
that's my repeat-ability window with this measurement method. BC gap is .0055 to .006 and
the cylinder "end shake" is .002. Did not check barrel choke yet.
The cylinder bore for the base pin looks like a small rodent ate it's way through, pretty
disgusting work. I've seen post hole diggers leave better wall finish. It's going to get
a light honing and one of the aftermarket .001 over size base pin.
The power custom hammer was sold as a "blued" hammer, it's not, just plain ole industrial
black oxide. Doesn't really matter to me as after I shoot it some more I'm sending it to
Turnbull for the CCH to match the frame. The hammer and trigger got rid of the creep the
stock trigger had. I clamped the gun ( gently with nylon blocks ) to my mill table and chucked
a dowel in the spindle, used the DRO to measure trigger travel. The stock trigger broke between
.115 up to .120 repeated several times. The Power custom ended up between .020 up to .023
again repeated several times. No trigger pull weight yet ( screwed up gauge).
Timing with the Power custom hammer and stock pawl was ok on 3 of 6 chambers,
instructions with trigger kit mentioned removing a bit off the second tooth of the pawl.
I left it alone as it was ok on 3 chambers and worked the cylinder instead as that's
where the inconsistency was.
This would be a good mod for a "shooter", if you're collecting maybe no so much.
With the half cock setup you will quickly develop a "turn ring" on that nice blued
cylinder.
Next up will be some hammer and trigger shims.....
Dave

mlazarus5388

Single-Sixer
Ev9mGfg.jpg

ULEJLuf.jpg

I finally had a chance to dial mine in with Buffalo Bore ammunition. It's a nice shooter with acceptable accuracy. It is fun to shoot with the +P, Ruger Only style loads. I'm excited to take this thing hunting at some point.

mlazarus5388

Single-Sixer
biglmbass said:
^ looking good. What grips are those? Custom?
I got them off eBay. I don't recall the seller but the fit was better than I expected. I just wanted something unusual.

saltydog

Bearcat
Bought a Turnbull Ruger off Gunbroker yesterday. Will post pics when it arrives.

bigskyguy

Single-Sixer
I'm gonna bring this back up to the top.

I got mine a couple weeks ago, and finally got around to playing with it some.

My only real complaint is that my trigger does not return after firing, it just stays to the rearward position.

I can "snap" it forward with my finger, and it returns itself upon cocking the hammer.

I am assuming that the trigger return spring is to blame, but I haven't torn into it to verify that.

It is a beautiful piece that much is certain!

Todd

Thinking about getting one of these vs the 454 Casull which is about the same price. Never had a 45 Colt SA like this so wondering how snappy it is. I'd probably prefer a 41 Mag or 44Mag that I can load down. Seems like there are plenty of new ones still available on GB.

It's a heavy gun. with normal 45 Colt loads it's pretty mild recoil.
I have not started handloading it yet but have ran a few boxes
of Ruger only loads in 300 and 325 grain size that are pretty stout.
Recoil is very subjective and with out shooting the gun side by side I'd
call it about equal to or a little stronger than a full load in 44mag.
I have a 7.5 in Super Blackhawk in .44mag and the Ruger loads in
the Colt seem to have a bit more recoil.
Disclaimer.....this is the only gun I've got with a Bisley frame.
Dave

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Put a few rounds through mine today, as I do almost every day. Convinced a friend that he too should get one of these guns. We both agree that they are the best "out of the box" Rugers we have owned, and we own several.

Dan

58cal

Bearcat
Rumor has it these are going back into production. Has anyone herd anything about this?... My LGS placed an order with the Lipseys distributor for one of these. Obviously it would not be 1 of 500 ......