Ruger GP100 grips question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BrokenRuger

Bearcat
Is the metal cylinder absolutely necessary to hold the grips in place? Will a screw alone hold the grips in place?

I'm asking because I ordered some custom wood grips for my GP100 and the holes in the grips don't match up with the hole in the tang of the revolver. So I can't use that metal cylinder. The screw holds the grips on pretty tight. But I'm wondering if there will be movement from the recoil.

Anyone?

EDIT: After doing a bit of searching I found out the proper term for the cylinder is locator pin. The grips I ordered came with 3 smaller pins inserted into the grips. Would I still need the big locator pin or will they hold fine with just the screw?

By the way here are some pics.

Pic of the pins inserted in the grips
L8JcLIh.jpg

Pics of the grips on the GP100
ebqQt0V.jpg

CeE5M3n.jpg

kk7lzXC.jpg

0hE7ffm.jpg

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The pins you indicate just align the halves of the grips, they do not retain them on the gun's "tang". if you notice the recess for the tang, it's tapered the wrong way and the grips will indeed slide off the gun if the retention cylinder isn't used.

BrokenRuger

Bearcat
I have the locator pin. it's just not fitting since the holes do not line up. I guess I'll be trying to get my money back. I don't see a way of fixing this.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
How far off can it be? Maybe a little Dremel work will solve the problem. Put half the grip on the grip stud and see how much the hole is off. Does the pin/cylinder on your gun push out? They do come out.

BrokenRuger

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:
How far off can it be? Maybe a little Dremel work will solve the problem. Put half the grip on the grip stud and see how much the hole is off. Does the pin/cylinder on your gun push out? They do come out.

This is the problem.
uIwUjNe.jpg

BrokenRuger

Bearcat
Would it be possible to fill the holes with some wood filler and re-drill? Or would the filler eventually come out?

Another idea is to have the manufacturer send me a set of these grips without the holes drilled. I can surely drill the holes myself in the correct location. Measured the holes and they are 11.20mm. So a 11.2mm drill bit is all that's needed.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
BrokenRuger said:
Would it be possible to fill the holes with some wood filler and re-drill? Or would the filler eventually come out?

I would enlarge the locating pin holes in the grips and bed them in with bedding compound. Be sure to use a release agent on the metal parts.

roylt

Hunter
Send your picture to the grip maker and see if they will exchange. Looks like the grip is just a bit low as the notch in the outside curves are about the same distance off.

gunzo

Hunter
Notice that the grip spud is not to the bottom of the mortise or cut out in the grip. Probably interference up towards the top of the panel , & not letting the grip mount high enough. If the spud were to meet the bottom of the cut out, the dowel cylinder holes would align.
Look for a high spot that needs trimming, allowing the grip panel to move farther up on the frame, the dowel hole will take care of itself. 8)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
gunzo said:
Look for a high spot that needs trimming, allowing the grip panel to move farther up on the frame, the dowel hole will take care of itself. 8)
I don't think that will work. Look at the 4th picture down in the OP. The grip is firmly against the trigger guard and there is no way it can move up. Either correct the exsting hole locations or contact the seller for a replacement grip.

gunzo

Hunter
I'll have to agree. Pic #4 does show it tight. Not to say that there still could be some trimming done, but that area is pretty thin.
Grip maker probably had a Monday gun to go by, & the OP has one made on Wednesday. :wink:

Thinking I might return also if doable. Are they Hogues?

BrokenRuger

Bearcat
The grips are from KSD Grips. A company based in Turkey. So returning the grips would cost me a pretty penny. By the way, this is a second set of grips from them. The first set had much worse fitment. I'm in no way shaming the company. The seller is a good guy and is eager to help. I just think he won't be able to correct the problem as he doesn't have access to the newer model GP100 2014+. I emailed him and asked if he can ship a set without the holes. I'll gladly drill them myself as I have a drill press. Would just need to purchase a 11.20mm bit. I really like these grips and want to make it work. And once I get them to fit maybe I can take some measurements for the manufacturer so they can make the correct grips for the newer model GP100's.

BrokenRuger

Bearcat
After looking at the panels some more I found two different spots that prevent me from moving the grips higher. I marked the areas with green. As someone mentioned above the part that covers under the trigger guard and the curve on the inside of the grips. I would have to hack these grips with a dremel to make them fit. Not going to do that.

N50AE9f.jpg

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Those are nice grips and good pictures and I'm not telling you what to do but I would Dremel the top part of the holes till the grip panels fit. Isn't that why they invented the Dremel tool, to make things fit? :mrgreen:

roylt

Hunter
If you are handy you could fill the current holes with JB Weld or something like that and drill new holes. JB weld can be machined if need be so drilling should work.
Another solution would be to make a custom pin. Either get a spare pin or make one from a piece of aluminum round bar with a small step for the grip to ride on. The grip couldn't come down because of the step on the pin and the grip won't go up because of the frame.

If it was me I think that is what I would do. Large exacto handle is perfect fit for GP pin hole by the way. I have made one out of an exacto handle.

Good luck and keep us posted.

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
Get a refund, buy Hogue, they have several different woods and options to choose from, and fit like a glove, they're one piece and come with new hardware that installs from the bottom just like the grip that comes with the gp100, which is also a Hogue, have they on my gp100 and super redhawk. Quality products from a friendly, quality company.

JStacy

Blackhawk
Can you pull the grips down the stud with the grip screws installed ? Those are not Hogue grips are they ? The grips may be held in place by the cross screw in the grip halves. The gips look like they fit your gun well ?