Question for members

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I recently snagged a large box of Ruger parts that included a bunch of old model factory hammers. I am thinking about sending some of these off for case coloring then offering them on a first come first serve basis. Before I do that I wanted to see if it looked like there would be any interest in factory style case colored hammers for old model mid sized and large sized guns. I'm not taking reservations yet, just seeing if there appears to be any interest.

Thanks for the feedback.

Robb

contender

Ruger Guru
Personally,,, I'd like to think more folks would enjoy an OM hammer just as it is. Especially the older blued ones. If they want a color case hardened one,, they can have it done themselves.

contender said:
Personally,,, I'd like to think more folks would enjoy an OM hammer just as it is. Especially the older blued ones. If they want a color case hardened one,, they can have it done themselves.

Absolutely!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

DGW1949

Hunter
Just speaking for myself...I've never been a fan of Ruger's el-cheapo 'polished sides' hammer finish, so I wouldn't mind mine having a case-colored hammer, or for that matter, a matching trigger. Thing is though, my vanity only runs so deep, and the prices I've seen for buying a single hammer and having it done has traditionally totaled more than I've been willing to pay.
On the other hand, if I could buy one which was being offered somewhat cheaper due it being part of a 'group buy' so to speak...then yeah, maybe...depending.

In other words, I got's two questions:
1)...How much money are we talking about?
2)...Is the entire hammer going to be refinished/colored (think S&W revolver here), or just the sides with the top edges remaining black?

DGW

I'd have some concern for the condition of the sear surfaces after any case hardening, on either hammers or triggers. Those are extremely delicate surfaces, and if not handled carefully can be made essentially inoperable.

Yes, they can be done properly, as when done by custom 'smiths who can match the sear surfaces of a specific pair of parts to provide a good action. Random application, however . . .

That said, I'd likely consider "original" OM parts if good pictures were available and the price were right. They're not making 'em any more.

JMHO, of course.

:mrgreen:

CraigC

Hawkeye
I would! It's not easy to get just a single hammer colored. There are usually minimum order and shop charges involved, plus you're without your hammer for as long as it takes to get it done. IMHO, this is the one glaring omission in all post 1st generation Colt SAA's and ever Ruger single action ever made. The white sided hammers just look like something was left undone.

You might even have some folks wanting to send in their Colt/USFA hammers if that were possible. ;)

DGW1949

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
I'd have some concern for the condition of the sear surfaces after any case hardening, on either hammers or triggers. Those are extremely delicate surfaces, and if not handled carefully can be made essentially inoperable.

Yes, they can be done properly, as when done by custom 'smiths who can match the sear surfaces of a specific pair of parts to provide a good action. Random application, however . . .

That said, I'd likely consider "original" OM parts if good pictures were available and the price were right. They're not making 'em any more.

JMHO, of course.

You make a valid point...
However, it's always been my understanding that 'case coloring' and 'case hardening' are two different processes done under different conditions and at different temperatures. In other words...by contrast to the former being purposely developed just for looks, the colors left by the latter are merely a by product of the case (surface) hardening which was done.

And for those who may not know...unlike Colt and S&W hammers (which did/do need surface hardening) Ruger hammers are hard all the way through.

DGW

I agree with the above , and many MORE people want or need "old model" STOCK parts than the 'niche' for custom, personalized work, that in the case of a hammer, this work does NOT last long, and looks BAD with wear.........only thing worse is "engine turning" (jeweling) the parts 8) :roll: :wink:

CraigC

Hawkeye
Wow, you guys are a lot of fun. Heaven forbid a Ruger should be in any condition other than exactly how it left the factory. :roll:

Technically, Ruger copied Colt on this and Colt only started doing it during the 2nd generation of production. Every Colt single action before that, since 1836, was color case hardened. Whether the white sided hammer is "tradition" or not, it still looks like crap.

And how many people really need a replacement hammer?

Ruger parts are colored, not case hardened so there is no concern over being overly hard or brittle.

rugerguy said:
...this work does NOT last long, and looks BAD with wear.........
That's interesting because I had this Ruger done 12-13yrs ago and it still looks like this. The bluing is worn off the grip frame and the barrel has holster wear but the case colored parts look the same.

IMG_0937b.jpg

Craig, to each his own. Some of us just like 'em stock, but you can do whatever you like with yours.

Just for fun, let's see the hammer cocked.

And how much has the gun been fired since the color treatment?

CraigC

Hawkeye
As I already said, it has been shot and carried enough to have a good bit of bluing wear. It was my primary dedicated hunting sixgun until I got the 7X chest rig for the .480 two years ago. In fact, that's its third or fourth set of grips and it has a good bit of bluing wear in that pic. If you're trying to imply that a white-sided hammer looks better with scratches from use than a Turnbull case colored hammer, we're going to have to just disagree, because I find the notion rather comical.

Again, other than to unconvert one, how many folks are really needing replacement hammers?

CraigC said:
As I already said, it has been shot and carried enough to have a good bit of bluing wear. It was my primary dedicated hunting sixgun until I got the 7X chest rig for the .480 two years ago. In fact, that's its third or fourth set of grips and it has a good bit of bluing wear in that pic. If you're trying to imply that a white-sided hammer looks better with scratches from use than a Turnbull case colored hammer, we're going to have to just disagree, because I find the notion rather comical.

Again, other than to unconvert one, how many folks are really needing replacement hammers?

Didn't say anything about "better" . . . I easily admit that Ruger hammers can show wear on the sides. Just wondering how the Turnbull color case looks on a "well-used" hammer.

Gonna show us?

It's not a matter of immediate "need" of a hammer, it's a matter of preserving the originals for future reference.

Latest posts