Personal Guns of Bill Ruger ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I purchased an OM BH in 357mag in Prescott, AZ and the owner told me several stories of how he knew Bill Ruger. He said the BH came from Bill Ruger, SR. back in the 80's. He also told of stories of Mr. Ransom and his wife of the Ransom Rest fame.

There is a target grip with thumb rest and a Leupold 2X scope on it. The clean trigger is 3.5 lbs and it shoots very accurately. It has not been converted.

Is there anyone who has ever seen an article or talked to someone who knew Bill and his personal guns? Serial number is a nice even 62000.

Prescut

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
There is an entire listing of the firearms owned personally by William B. Ruger. Pictures of many if not most have been used in books about WBR.
And so it goes...

street

Hunter
Yea! It must have been one of Rugers' guns. He even stamped his name on the barrel. :wink: :D :lol:

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
There is a sign over a rifle in a bar in New Mexico , it says " This is the only gun in New Mexico NOT owned by Billy the Kid"

Amen to that, every gun has a story, if only they could talk English, wish I had a penny for every story or tale I have heard this gun belonged to a Ruger family member, or the old man built it for so and so. Same goes for the guns that once belonged to the rich or the infamous....who cares, they all put their pants on one leg at a time :? :roll: 8)

(tell any of that to someone who wants to buy a gun to use, to shoot......its just gotta work) :wink:

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys,

For the humor,
For the info, and
for a few ideas on where to look.

I've already bought and shot the gun. Beautiful !

Many of you may not know the little historic town of Prescott up in the mountains of Arizona. We've lived here since 1980. Ruger has had a plant here since around 1987. Bill Sr. was a known quantity in a small town. The seller is an older gentleman (80's) whose whole family has lived in Prescott for many years.

I wouldn't have believed this story for a minute if it weren't for him. I only heard the story after I had the gun and was ready to head out. I asked him where he got it and he immediately said Bill Ruger Sr, an acquaintance of many years.. He and his wife claim to still be very close friends with Ransom's widow.

So I was just having some fun on here trying to see if there was a bonus in the package. I wonder if Ruger Inc. could look that number up?

Prescut
(which is how all locals pronounce Prescott)

Prescut said:
I wonder if Ruger Inc. could look that number up?

Prescut
(which is how all locals pronounce Prescott)

They could, but I'm not sure you'd get good, accurate information these days.

For ten bucks, might be worth a try. At least you'd get a "letter".

:)

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Nobody I know sells one of WBR's personal guns these days for less than a couple thou. Even with a nebulous story. Bear in mind there are dozens of former execs and employee-collectors in the area who bought up hundreds (and hundreds) of unique guns and parts from the factories, when it became clear Bill would step down and not return to the floor.

If the gun can be verified as one of his "personal" guns, I'd say Battermans on Gurley would be a top stop for me...? Note: as there is no registration in this state, provenance would be made with photos or inventory "hold for" lists or such. They're out there, but... Buy the gun, not the story.

Latest posts