Enlarged trigger guard

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldtimemainer

Bearcat
Is it possible to get an enlarged trigger guard for the SBH. When Hunting in Maine in 10 degree weather heavier gloves are needed....

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Nobody makes one. I could foresee two different options, only one of which I would undertake.

By a well talented blacksmith, the trigger guard could be stretched and reshaped - however, this would leave the trigger guard thinned, so I wouldn't play with this.

Alternatively, there are plenty of guys who can expertly weld stainless, so it wouldn't be a challenge to cut off the existing trigger guard and have a newly fabricated, appropriately profiled trigger guard be welded back in its place. This would be the route I'd take.

However, all of that said - when temperatures drop, I use flip top insulated mittens, a combination of liners and an insulated glove/mitten shell, or use "riflemans" gloves with a thinned trigger finger - else I'll cut and resew the trigger finger, and wear a simple liner glove underneath. Most of the time I don't wear much for gloves at all anyway, and rely upon a muff to keep my hands warm enough until I shoot. I'll often lay my revolver on my lap with the muff laying on top of it to keep the steel warm as well, or when walking, I'll wear my chest rig inside my insulation layer, so the entire revolver stays warm. I've hunted predominantly with a revolver for all of my life, including several years living and hunting in north country like Michigan, and I've never had any problems keeping my hands warm.

I'll also say, there's no way I'd stick an insulated finger into a Ruger SBH trigger guard with a glove so thick for hunting. It's one thing for a fighting rifle to have an enlarged trigger guard and be used with insulated gloves - with a 5.5-8.5lb trigger and a torso sized target, but for hunting, the bulk and compression of an insulated glove combined with the 2.5-4.5lb trigger pull of a single action SBH would be a non-starter for me. You'll have no idea when that revolver is going to bark.

s4s4u

Hunter
I hunt in Minnesota. Needless to say, it gets cold sometimes. I don't like heavy gloves as I can't feel the trigger. Heavy gloves will also affect your POI. If it gets real cold I will stick my lightly gloved shooting hand into my pocket or a muff or under my armpit. I also have a pair of mitts the have a flap that covers the fingers that can be flipped back, exposing the finger tips for shooting. I wouldn't be messing with the trigger guard if I were you. There are better alternatives.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have hunted in places like you describe.
Enlarged trigger guards are not easily available,, as they are a custom item.
But I think the above advice is very good in using gloves with a flip off cover, mitten type. I have 2 different pair,,, one medium weight, and one heavy weight. A simple flip of the mitten cover portion over the fingers, where just the end of the fingers are exposed,, is the overall best way to deal with it. You can also get this disposable "hot hands" mini's for inside gloves, or use other stuff to keep the mitten covered hand warm enough to where the trigger finger is usable when needed.
Handgun hunting is about all I do,, and I make sure I'm in a position to make the shot when necessary. I keep my gloved hand in a pocket as much as possible when it's deeply cold.

But a modified trigger guard is not an easy option.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Modified trigger guards are easier than guys realize. Just gotta find a guy who knows how to weld stainless - and I mean REALLY weld stainless. In my line of work, I've had guys work on my projects who could butt weld 20ga stainless 1/4" tubing while hanging 50ft in the air on the side of a column, so when I wanted a Glock style trigger guard for a Super Redhawk, a case of beer and an extra day on a business trip to AZ was all I needed. The elbow grease to blend, profile, and repolish after the welding was done was the hardest part, which was a Saturday morning of hand moving, nothing expertly skillful, just time and patience.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I too would not modify the trigger guard.

But it's easy enough to do on carbon or stainless if you or someone you know can tig weld. Use 615 (if I recall correctly) rod for stainless.

Cut out the rear lower corner of the trigger guard.
Cut the front corner lower corner loose from the front of TG.
Cut the front of the trigger guard off flush with the TG strap at the front top.

Lay out those three pieces in the shape of the TG below the gun.
Weld the front top piece to the TG strap right behind the front TG screw.
Weld in three 1/4" pieces of flat stock, one in each of the 3 remaining cuts.
File to match shape of original TG pieces, sand and polish.

It'll look like factory.
Tell people you special ordered it that way from Ruger. :)

You could acquire a take off SBH grip frame to modify and keep your original for spring, summer and fall.