Reloading for 45 conversion cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deanodog

Bearcat
I have ordered a conversion cyl for my Ruger old army and I would like someone's favorite load if possible. I reload 45colt with 7.5 grs Unique with cast bullets
and wonder if they are safe in this cyl. Anyone care to share their loads ? Thanks

cowpoke22

Bearcat
NO!!!!! LIGHT Cowboy loads or Black Powder only. The frame can stand the pressure (it's a B/Hawk) but the cyl is the weak link here. (As me how I know this)

reloader

Single-Sixer
Alliant Powder's website shows 45 Colt max loads for Unique with Speer 200 gr and 250 gr LSWC at 9.5 grains. I usually load 8 to 8.5 grains. 7.5 should be safe if the cyl is as strong as a Colt/Colt clone.

cowpoke22

Bearcat
reloader said:
Alliant Powder's website shows 45 Colt max loads for Unique with Speer 200 gr and 250 gr LSWC at 9.5 grains. I usually load 8 to 8.5 grains. 7.5 should be safe if the cyl is as strong as a Colt/Colt clone.
The weak link of the conversion cyls is the back plate. The whole set up is NOT as strong as a cyl made for ctgs. And no loading info comes with the cyls except the notation to use B/P or very low pressure loadings.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have no experience but... Alliant lists, for 'Cowboy' shooting, a 230gr bullet with 8.5gr of Unique. I would guess that 7.5gr should be ok.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=5&weight=230&shellid=15&bulletid=15