Super Redhawk in 10mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

djw54

Single-Sixer
http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedhawkStandard/specSheets/5524.html

We're always looking for new offerings from Ruger, with the GP100 in 10mm being a "frequent" request.
Now they have given us the 10mm in a revolver, but it's the Super Redhawk. The SR is a very fine revolver, but it's biggish.

Thoughts?

smith1961

Blackhawk
Sugar River said:
An answer in search of a question.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Now I love our Ruger revolvers as much as anybody, but I am getting ticked with not being able to get them to make a simple .41 Mag Vaquero for years. Now the latest distributor special of the week is this thing? In the practical sense, the .41 mag version of this that was released recently, walks all over this one. And why make an eight shot .357, with a goofy short tube? On the other hand, 10mm fans/collectors will trample each other for one I guess.
:?

rangerbob

Buckeye
Being a 10mm fan, I'm almost outraged that Ruger would waste everybody's time to make this product. Who wants a 3 1/2 pound revolver to tote around. I'll gladly admit that the SRH has a reason for being, particularly in 44 magnum, 454, and 480 as a stand alone hunting revolver, but this model can serve no purpose other than a boat anchor. How hard would it be to make a 10mm GP-100 in a 3" fixed sight variation, 4.2" Match Champion variation, and a 5.5 or 6" half lug barrel for hunting and field use. Custom 'smiths have been converting them for years. I think Ruger totally dropped the ball with this one. I've got a Glock M40 6" that weighs I/2 as much and carries up to 3 times the ammo and comes optic ready out of the box. Bob!! :x

djw54

Single-Sixer
smith1961 said:
...In the practical sense, the .41 mag version of this that was released recently, walks all over this one...

rangerbob said:
Being a 10mm fan, I'm almost outraged that Ruger would waste everybody's time to make this product. Who wants a 3 1/2 pound revolver to tote around. I'll gladly admit that the SRH has a reason for being, particularly in 44 magnum, 454, and 480 as a stand alone hunting revolver, but this model can serve no purpose other than a boat anchor. How hard would it be to make a 10mm GP-100 in a 3" fixed sight variation, 4.2" Match Champion variation, and a 5.5 or 6" half lug barrel for hunting and field use. Custom 'smiths have been converting them for years. I think Ruger totally dropped the ball with this one. I've got a Glock M40 6" that weighs I/2 as much and carries up to 3 times the ammo and comes optic ready out of the box. Bob!! :x

This was my take also. I didn't really "get" the .41 mag SR either, assuming that it doesn't have a longer cylinder than the regular Redhawk, but it definitely makes more sense than 10mm Thanks for the confirmation...

djw54

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
With that barrel they will be able to chamber the S&W 40 cal. also. So who can't wait for that?

Don't forget 38-40, although would need another cylinder.

C-Dubs

Bearcat
Similarly, I was wondering if a cylinder could be machined for .400 Corbon

rangerbob

Buckeye
We might as well rechamber it to 40/44 Woodstalker and be done with it. Bob!! :mrgreen:

k22fan

Blackhawk
While I whole heartedly agree with all the criticism of this revolvers undesirable weight I might buy one anyway. My equally questionable 7 1/2" .357 Redhawk weighs 2 ounces more and I still keep it around for casual target shooting. Many other wise worthless guns are fun to shoot, I like 10 mm, and I especially like collector items. That is what I expect those that are not reamed to 10 mm Magnum will become.

I presume it will be possible to fire clipped .40 S&W cartridges when you do not have the time or inclination to reload. Those are in second place behind 9 mm for being the least expensive center fire factory revolver cartridge.

The big question is will my S&W Model 610 moon clips fit?

If a 6 shot .357 cylinder could be found it could be rechambered to .38-40 to make the revolver much more appealing to me as a dual cartridge gun but that's a huge if. 10 mm cylinders will be too short in the rear to headspace .38-40.

The problem is finding enough spare change to buy all of Ruger's tempting offerings.

djw54

Single-Sixer
k22fan said:
. Many other wise worthless guns are fun to shoot, I like 10 mm, and I especially like collector items. That is what I expect those that are not reamed to 10 mm Magnum will become.

So, where does 10mm magnum take us in performance? Does it approach 41 mag? Would standard 10mm and 40s&w still work?

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
If they ever make it in a standard redhawk 4.2 inch version I'll buy it. The ability to shoot 40 S&W out of a 10mm chambering adds a particular dimension of practicality in this instance, since 40 S&W is probably the most abundant handgun cartridge in this country.

k22fan

Blackhawk
djw54 said:
k22fan said:
. Many other wise worthless guns are fun to shoot, I like 10 mm, and I especially like collector items. That is what I expect those that are not reamed to 10 mm Magnum will become.

So, where does 10mm magnum take us in performance? Does it approach 41 mag? Would standard 10mm and 40s&w still work?
Yes and yes. First I must admit that I have not owned a 10 mm Magnum or reloaded for one. The 10 mm Magnum case is 0.035" shorter than .41 Magnum and of course 0.010" smaller in diameter. While its lower powder capacity can not provide as much power at the same pressure, 10 mm Magnum does "approach," but not equal, .41 Magnum with 200 grain bullets. However, S&W's 10 mm cylinders are a lot shorter than their .41 Magnum cylinders making the .41 Magnum a better performer with heavy bullets in S&Ws. This new Ruger appears to have the standard length cylinder so if you could find heavy 10 mm bullets you could seat them further out. You'd also be trading the .41 magnum bullets' crimp grooves and the seating die's roll crimp for the option of firing less expensive factory cartridges in moon clips.

cas6969

Buckeye
I hear .401 Powermag is next. ;)

Nah... this is Ruger's normally of almost giving the customers what they want. Many ask for a GP100 in 10mm, some overly cautious engineer say "lets do this instead". Viola! Instant boat anchor. I do wonder if they're have some collector appeal years down the road if they flop.

dixie884

Blackhawk
If the headspace is right for the rim making the chamber the right length should be all it takes for the .401????????????

Onty

Single-Sixer
djw54 said:

We're always looking for new offerings from Ruger, with the GP100 in 10mm being a "frequent" request.
Now they have given us the 10mm in a revolver, but it's the Super Redhawk. The SR is a very fine revolver, but it's biggish.

Thoughts?
What's next, SRH in 30 Carbine and 22 Hornet?

sd550

Bearcat
Onty said:
djw54 said:

Thoughts?
What's next, SRH in 30 Carbine and 22 Hornet?

I heard that the .25ACP was next to keep from stressing the frame !!!

wizzard

Bearcat
I don't disagree with the criticism to this point. However, on a positive note, I remember during the most recent ammo crunch, 10mm ammo being plentiful on store shelves. (give me a break, I'm trying)