How Much Force Does a Handgun Bullet Have?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Great video but I would have liked to have seen a tree with progressively heaver targets to see the limits of the different calibers.

How Much Force Does a Handgun Bullet Have?
If you believe the movies just about anything will knock a bad guy off his feet.

Mus408

Hunter
Watched that also and it was good video. Hickok did a test like that some years ago using his swinging plates.
About his "new" tree... it seems to function better than the old Action Target unit when shooting 9mm as I remember him saying in the older videos about how 9mm would not completely swing the paddles.
He is doing more 9mm reviews these days so I guess he needed a tree that would have a bit less friction of movement.

rob-c

Single-Sixer
only thing I wish he would have done different was to use snub nose revolvers. besides that cool test...

Jimbo357mag said:
Great video but I would have liked to have seen a tree with progressively heaver targets to see the limits of the different calibers.

Each of those paddles was a different weight simply by virtue of being different sizes. Problem being, they weren't different enough from one to the other. A solid hit with essentially anything (with the possible exception of the .22LR) would spin all of those paddles.

Yes, you could tell that some of the stuff hit harder than the others, but that was only obvious if you paid attention to the reaction of the entire "tree" to the various impacts.

Still, an interesting video. I'm just glad I didn't have to clean all those guns.

:mrgreen:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
As I mentioned in the thread on this subject in the "Semi Auto" forum, what he was demonstrating was "Power Factor" (bullet weight x velocity) or the bullet's momentum, not its kinetic energy.