Lcr 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

silverback

Blackhawk
I have recently become interested in the lcr 9mm. I am particularly interested in perceived felt recoil as it compares to 38 or 357 in similar short barreled light weight snubbies. I have previously shot short barreled security six and sp101 in 357.

I also have a 2 inch 45 colt that I shoot regularly.

Thanks in advance

silverback

Blackhawk
I have seen some youtube reviewers say it is painful to shoot, but I figured they don't shot revolver that often. That's why I am here to try to get feed back. Plus the crimp jump situation is a concern.

I wanted t keep calibers consolidated but looking at taurus n85 ul at 17 oz 38 plus p for 199.00 seems more reasonable and eliminate crimp jump. I do like rugers so I woukd like to get a decent cross section of feedback.

rjn

Bearcat
I have a LCR in 9mm and not bothered by recoil in the least bit. I can and have shot 25 cartridges one after another without any discomfort. I shoot sp101 in 357 and consider that as having a bit more of a sharp jar whereas the 9mm LCR is more like a short snap. Kind of hard to explain by I guess I would get tired of shooting the SP101 before the LCR.

Concerning crimp jump...well most 9mm do not have a crimp but what you are referring to is bullet creeping forward due to recoil which at some point will tie up the cylinder.

This was a big concern of mine so I ran lots & lots of test. Some by simply shooting four shots and then measuring length of fifth cartridge. Another way I tested was with a RCBS impact bullet puller. This allowed me to see which bullets would move forward under varying recoil.

The first thing I will tell you is that Hornady 115gr Critical Defense cartridges are all but immune to bullet movement from recoil. They actually are the only 9mm cartridge I found where the bullet has a cannelure and maybe this round is slightly crimped. Anyway it doesn't move.

Other rounds from different manufacturers had varying amounts of movement but in no case, after a lot of testing, did the bullet move far enough to cause a problem. Actually my handloads were probably the worse as far as bullet creep was concerned but again even these did not cause a problem.

One really nice feature with the 9mm LCR is the moon clip which allows rapid loading/unloading without the chance of leaving one inadvertently in the cylinder.

The other thing with the 9mm is the velocity is lot higher than one might expect since the cylinder acts like barrel extension.

And finally it really accurate and has a nice trigger so it is easy for me to hit my metal gong at 30yds over & over again. Try that with a different snubby.

silverback

Blackhawk
Finally some good info. I have a glock 26 and trying to justify my revolver addiction for the lcr. I have other revolvers but the idea of a 9mm revolver has me by the short hairs.

Terry T

Buckeye
I have SP101 in 9mm (2" & 3") and .357 mag., Taurus .45 LC titanium (19 oz. empty) with a 2 " ported barrel, and LCR in 9mm, 327 mag and .357 mag. not to mention S&W 940 (2" & 3"), and Speed Sixs and Service Sixes in 9mm and .357 mag.

I really don't think you'll have any problem.
I have put the bigger LCRx grips on all of my LCRs

http://shopruger.com/Hogue-LCRx-and-LCR-3-Tamer-Grip/productinfo/19947/

Much easier to shoot but a little harder to conceal.
Terry T

Cal44

Bearcat
I have both an LCR 9mm and an LCR 357.

They both weigh the same. In general, most 357 Magnum rounds are higher velocity than the typical 9mm round. 38 Special +P achieves lower velocity than the 9mm.

There is no magic here. If you shoot an LCR 357 and it shoots the same bullet weight at the same velocity as an LCR 9mm the recoil will be the same.

The recoil of the LCR 9mm, with most 9mm rounds, is between a 38 Special +P and a 357 Magnum cartridge out of the LCR 357.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I can fire 50 to 100 rounds of .38 through my LCR and LCRx without too much discomfort. My limit on the 9mm LCR is about 25 founds. I don't have an LCR in 357.

For what it is worth, I find the recoil on my Charter Arms 45 ACP Pitbull to be more pleasant then the recoil of my 9mm LCR.

silverback

Blackhawk
Charter arms makes a pitbull 9mm and taurus 905.

Charlesappel I have heard about issues with the ejector system and qc.

Taurus 905 just a bit heavier

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
silverback said:
I have recently become interested in the lcr 9mm. I am particularly interested in perceived felt recoil as it compares to 38 or 357 in similar short barreled light weight snubbies. I have previously shot short barreled security six and sp101 in 357.

Thanks in advance

Silverback,
If you are referring to the LC9, go look at the LC9s. I have one and the recoil negligible.
And, I am 82 yrs young. When it is on your hip at the 3 or 4 o'clock, it is invisible.
Blackie

silverback

Blackhawk
SR1911SHOOTER said:
silverback said:

Thanks in advance

Silverback,
If you are referring to the LC9, go look at the LC9s. I have one and the recoil negligible.
And, I am 82 yrs young. When it is on your hip at the 3 or 4 o'clock, it is invisible.
Blackie

Lcr. 9mm

silverback

Blackhawk
I picked up the taurus 905 for great deal. I shoot it well. The 9mm round is sharper recoil the I thought but in no way painful ir unmanageable. Its about 23 oz gun. I think the lcr recoil must be much more stout. Still, i shoot the lcr 22lr so well that trigger is just hard to beat. I think I will he in the look out for a well used lcr 9mm for comparison to 905.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have a SP101 in 9MM coming, be here Friday, and I am looking forward to a new toy to play with. Big kid in me, 72 years old. I was shocked at what Ruger charges for the mood clips for the SP101 and LCR moon clips for 9 MM. 14.95 + shipping for three clips ! Ouch!! Midway , when they have them in stock, sells a 8 pack of Ranch product moon clips for 9.95 + shipping --- better price. I had a 357 SP101, 2.25" barrel, and it was loud and had a jump with full 357 loads but was not abusive with a Hogue grip on it. Spring kit made it smooth as silk with DA and light SA pull. I plan to give the 9mm 101 the same treatment . I read the review of the LCR in 9 MM by Jeff Quinn of Gun Blast and was frankly very surprised at the velocity he got with some of the commercial loads and that was what swayed me to buy the SP101/9m. I taper crimp all of my semi auto rounds and have never had one "walk" out of the case. I had a speed six in 9 MM many years ago and it was a very nice little gun to shoot and carry around. I can't help but like the SS guns better than the blue, dark colored ones, for CC role. In addition having a shiny gun in you hand will allow potential recipients to recognize their potential peril and maybe change their mind about any further interactions with you and leave to search for easier targets.
There was a study by the El Paso police department many years ago that confirmed this premise , about silver guns VS blued guns and resultant shootings.