interchanging S&W with Redhawk .45 acp full moon clips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ppcgm

Bearcat
What is the issue with using the S&W full moon clips in the Redhawk ? Is the circle diameter incompatible ? Or is it just a matter of having my gunsmith relieve the cylinder a smidgen ?

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
The standard moon clips are too thick and too large in diameter. This is because the extractor on the Redhawk has to be able to handle .45 Colt cases and the cylinder must allow the .45 Colt to headspace on the case rim.

Moon clips for the S&W governor might work but I have not tested this idea.

ppcgm

Bearcat
Thanks for the information. That's going to keep me from buying one. So I appreciate knowing the issues before I was stuck with a gun I wouldn't be able to use as intended. Hopefully they will address the weakness of their own proprietary moon clips, if they can't or won't modify their cylinder design to use the hundred plus moon clips I have for my 625.

The 625 was designed to fire the .45 acp and the .45 Autorim, the Redhawk was designed to shoot the .45 Colt and the .45 acp. Different guns with different capabilities.

Why should Ruger change or modify their design?

k22fan

Blackhawk
RoninPA said:
[...] Why should Ruger change or modify their design?
To broaden the the market for their .45. Competitors buy their S&W/Colt moon clips in bags of 100 from Ranch Products. I forget what my last bag cost but the cost per clip was less than 1/10 of ShopRuger's price for RedHawk clips. If they are not carefully filled and emptied the best clips are easily bent and judging by the feedback on ShopRuger Redhawk clips are as flimsy as the clips for revolvers customized to clip load rimmed magnum cartridges. Slightly bent clips are springs that have to be flattened by the firing pin impact. They cause lots of missfires in the .357s that are popular at our matches. Why would a competitor select a .45 ACP clip loading system that costs 10 times as much knowing it will screw up their scores?

Besides, .45 Auto Rim is the neatest of the three cartridges. You can give it a proper revolver roll crimp and it burns target powder charges efficiently.

Sell me on the RedHawk's clip system. I'm open minded and all ears.

By the way, I chose a .45 Colt only 4" RedHawk. That's the cartridge that brings out the best in a RedHawk.