What does your's ACTUALLY weigh??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Phalanx429

Bearcat
Hi all...
Lately, I've been trying to decide on an "always with me" Ruger Single Action. I'm looking for the lightest single action I can get...however, nothing other than a regular plow handled grip frame 4 5/8 bbl 45LC/45ACP Convertible need apply. I have noticed, on-line, a New Vaquero (mid-frame) SS 4 5/8 bbl Convertible 45LC/45ACP (Ruger #5144)...seems to be what I'm looking for...except for the advertised weight. Ruger lists it at 40 oz...along with most all the other handguns they make! So...my question is to those of you who may already have one of these...(or maybe just the non-convertible version of it)... "What does it REALLY weigh?" I already have a New Model Blackhawk (mid-frame) SS FT 4 5/8 bbl 45LC/45ACP in the safe...and it comes in at 2 lbs 8 7/8 oz...or 40 7/8 oz. I also have a New Model Blackhawk (large-frame) 4 5/8 bbl 45LC/45ACP with an alloy grip frame...and it comes in at 2 lbs 4 1/4 oz or 36 1/4 oz. However, I think I'm in the mood for a "flasher fixed sighted" model these days!! Thank you in advance for humoring me! :D

Phalanx429

Phalanx429

Bearcat
m657...Thank you for mentioning that and you are ABSOLUTELY correct. However, since I'll be shooting either 45LC or 45ACP out of the same gun, I thought that the total weight LOADED would be irrevelent. No matter what I end up selecting, I would be adding the same amount of ammo weight to the weight of the gun...no matter if the ammo be LC or ACP. Least that's how I see it. But my wife tells me that I've been wrong before!! :D

My always on me single action. Weight empty 6.2 oz.

p-778-22ms_2.jpg

Seriously, regardless of what else I'm carrying I have this in my left rear pocket.

Phalanx429

Bearcat
Jeepnik...Hahahahahaha...funny you should bring one of these up! Back in the day, I, too, carried one of these exact 22 Mag "Single Actions" ( :D ) with me constantly...I used to wear a Navy Watchcap all the time with this rolled/folded up in the front rolls of the cap. Maybe not for everybody...but it served my needs exactly. Lately though, I'm wanting a little more firepower! But, oh, the memories that brings back!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! And it's still in my gun safe "somewhere!"

Phalanx429 said:
Jeepnik...Hahahahahaha...funny you should bring one of these up! Back in the day, I, too, carried one of these exact 22 Mag "Single Actions" ( :D ) with me constantly...I used to wear a Navy Watchcap all the time with this rolled/folded up in the front rolls of the cap. Maybe not for everybody...but it served my needs exactly. Lately though, I'm wanting a little more firepower! But, oh, the memories that brings back!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! And it's still in my gun safe "somewhere!"

They weigh nothing. Drag it out and keep it in a pocket. Darned light weight insurance IMO.

Phalanx429

Bearcat
Jeepnik...great advice. I think I will do just that! Once you learn how to shoot one of these things, you can actually do pretty good with it at "across-the-room" distances. Of course, that is, IF you see something "across-the-room" that needs shootin'!!! Just sayin'.

Armybrat

Buckeye
I got nuthin' to add except my New Vaquero .357 weighs in empty at 43 ounces exactly. Of course it has smaller holes than your .45 Colt....

44e35ad54bb5d7eb11d8b5e8049b5fcfb85c901.JPG

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Wait means nothing how you carry it is what matters a good holster will make it light is a feather.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
I don't believe you will find a Vaquero that weighs less than.... or even equal to your alloy grip framed Blackhawk unless you change the steel grip frame to one that matches the lighter gun. All Vaqueros come with steel grip frames.

With that said it is not too hard to find an alloy grip frame for a NM gun and bolt it onto a Vaquero. Be sure and get an alloy ejector rod housing as well to lighten the load even more. You will get right there with the Blackhawk you now have.

I have three big bore guns that all are within an ounce of each other for the title of "Lightweight Champion". My Ruger Blackhawk 45, Colt SAA 45, and Freedom Arms M97 44 Special. ( All right around 36 oz.)

Good luck. I see you are in CO and I understand the desire. Humping in the Rockies makes one not want to carry an extra stick of gum after a couple days. :)

Dan

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Your lightest gun is a mid frame New Vaquero Sheriffs model; 3 3/4" barrel; 35 ozs. as it comes.

If you like stainless there's the .45 Montado; add the alum grip frame and alum ejector rod housing and polish bright to make it even lighter, a little under 32 ozs.

You can't beat that unless you go to a custom pistol smith to machine extra weight off the frame, but it's epensive and changes the classic look, plus it doesn't take off much weight.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Per my wife's kitchen scales, my NMBH .41mag, 6.5" weighs 41.5oz, but I have Hogue grips on it which add about .5 oz. Loaded, add 4.5 oz.

Phalanx429

Bearcat
HI all again...
First I want the thank all those who commented on my dilemma/search for "my" Perfect Packin' Pistol. I have narrowed it down to a 45LC/ACP Convertible...4 5/8 bbl...bright stainless steel...and as "light weight" as possible. I want to thank all those who mentioned other options...but I think I want to stay with these. As BigMuddy mentioned, perhaps changing the steel grip frame with an alloy grip frame might save some weight...so yesterday I spent the day "kitchen-gunsmithing" several Rugers who were just sitting in the gun safe. It appears that by switching them around, I could save 4 3/4 oz over the steel one. Then an alloy ERH would save 7/8 oz. (haha minimal for sure...but what the heck!) But, there is a slight problem with the grip frames...seems as though the new stainless grip frames I have DO NOT have the "projections" (those little nubs sticking out of the grip frame just below the ears) like my alloy frames have. Additionally, the alloy grip frames that I have seem to have "shorter ears" than the stainless ones...they come up short by 1/8 inch or so below where the frame and grip frame meet just above the screws...they would still bolt on...although not very aesthetically pleasing. Since Ruger removed the projections from the stainless grip frames...I can assume that they are NOT needed on the stainless grip frames. What about on the newer alloy grip frames??? Did Ruger remove those also? If so, I can then safely remove the projections on the frames that I have and I will be good to go...short ears notwithstanding (on the Ruger...not me)! Actually, just buying a New Vaquero 45LC/ACP Stainless 4 5/8 bbl is looking better and better! And as BigMuddy alluded to ...the older I get, the shorter my legs become...and my wife just suggested that I loose 5 lbs, give her the gun money and be done with it! hahahahaha

CaptBullets

Bearcat
I have two New Vaquero stainless steel 4 5/8 bbl Convertibles. Using my non-scientific scale they both weight in at just under 40 oz regardless of which cylinder was installed. With the 45 ACP cylinder weight was 39.4 oz (2 lb, 7.4 oz) and with the 45 Colt is was 39.2 oz (2 lb, 7.2 oz). I'd say 40 oz is right on for weight.

For comparison my New Vaquero Sheriff 44 Special w/ 3 in barrel came in at 37.6 oz (2 lb, 5.6 oz) and my New Vaquero Birdshead 45 Colt w/ 3 in barrel came in at 36.6 oz (2 lb, 4.6 oz).

Hope this info helps.

Brian

Phalanx429

Bearcat
CaptBullets..
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and weighting your New Vaqueros...that is exactly the information I was needing to make my decision on "my Perfect Packin' Pistol!" I'm really leaning toward buying a New Vaquero Stainless 4 5/8 45LC/ACP Convertible...if I can find one that is. I'm then going to see if one of the alloy frames that I have MIGHT mate up and look OK. I'm thinking that that will reduce the weight as much as 4 oz. more. As the Sundance Kid said to Butch Cassidy in that GREAT movie, "Everything has to be PERFECT with you" Hahahaha Well, nearly for me!
Thank you again to all who responded...I really appreciate it. But now all I have to do is decide; pay my money and take my chances! haha

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
A worthwhile project, please come back and let us all in on what you come up with and how and why you like it.

Phalanx429

Bearcat
PriseDeFer..
Absolutely I will report back with my decision...what-ever-that-may-be. Actually, yesterday I went to a gun show hoping to handle a few New Vaqueros...HA...VERY FEW AND FAR BETWEEN. None in SS with a 4 5/8 barrel...let alone a convertible model. Either EVERYBODY wants the 5 1/5 barrels and that is all that Ruger is making, or, NOBODY wants them and everyone is buying the 4 5/8s ones!!!hahahaha Oh well, the quest will continue.