Original lockwork parts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hi guys, I know this is likely a dumb question, but does Ruger still ship back the original lockwork parts on OM guns sent back for service?

I know they used to, but I heard they stopped doing so years ago (I haven't sent one back personally - ever) due to liability concerns.

I ask, because I have an old flat top .44 that could use a re blue. I like the original action.

Thanks! :)

hittman

Staff member
I have heard, but have no personal experience, that they do return the original items if you request it.

Or, send it to them in pieces and you'll likely get back a converted gun.

hittman said:
I have heard, but have no personal experience, that they do return the original items if you request it.

Or, send it to them in pieces and you'll likely get back a converted gun.

That was my plan if they no longer return the original parts.
Still, it would be nice if I didn't have to disassemble the gum myself. Screw heads and all... :)

hittman

Staff member
Heck, it'd be worth a phone call to them .... only way to get official word. I'm just guessing and repeating internet rumor. :lol:

hittman said:
Heck, it'd be worth a phone call to them .... only way to get official word. I'm just guessing and repeating internet rumor. :lol:

Good call. I was just being lazy. :lol:

I just thought someone here might have a quicker answer. I know some Ruger employees lurk hereabouts. :mrgreen:

I have yet to SEE or hear from anyone up around here that never got their parts back when they sent the guns in for the safety update, was told ,second hand of one that said the parts did not come back and I told him to tell his friend to look under the flap in the box , and sure enough they were tucked in there, tight under the bottom, so NO rattle, thought the box was empty.....hhhmmmm :roll:

rugerguy said:
I have yet to SEE or hear from anyone up around here that never got their parts back when they sent the guns in for the safety update, was told ,second hand of one that said the parts did not come back and I told him to tell his friend to look under the flap in the box , and sure enough they were tucked in there, tight under the bottom, so NO rattle, thought the box was empty.....hhhmmmm :roll:

Good to know.
And yet, we still see people on this forum looking for original parts sets, or selling them, all the time.... :?

I'll call Ruger tomorrow, and will report back my findings.
Thanks for you input guys! 8)

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
A friend sent back an Old Model Single Six last year, and they returned all the original parts with it. They did not refinish it, btw...

most of the time you see or hear folks looking for or wanting "original" lockwork, they want to put back to the "old model" lockwork a gun that they now have, we see MORE that were converted, with no parts, some without the original grips even, at any given gun show...I've used up MOST of the spare parts kits that I had from over the years...as they say, "they are NO longer being made"..... 8) :roll:

as noted above, you can remove the old model parts BEFORE you return the gun back to Ruger for the 'free' safety update, I also tell folks, to remove the original grips and do NOT send it back in the '"original" box, but ask for and get the 'return' box they provide when you give them the serial number of whatever "old model" you may want to have safety converted......... :wink:

It's not a dumb question. As Dan says, there are persistent rumors of folks not getting their parts back, but even if it happened it would be a rare instance.

More disturbing is the situation where an Old Model is sent in for the conversion or other work and The Factory claims the gun is "dangerous/unserviceable/unrepairable" and refuses to return the gun. Then the owner is offered a "replacement" New Model, sometimes no charge, sometimes at a reduced price. I know of one such instance personally, and there have been a couple reported here and/or on the "other" Ruger forum. Again, extremely rare situations, but if it's your Old Model involved . . .

Your gun, your decision.

Update: I called Ruger.

The nice lady in customer service said that they do indeed send the original parts back. She said that as soon as the original parts are removed, they are placed in a bag and the bag is placed in the return shipping box. The conversion is done by them automatically on any gun not already converted. She DID say that it would not hurt to include a letter with the gun, specifically stating that you most definitely want those original parts back. :wink:

Also, the process is to call customer service with the serial number to the gun, and they will send out a return box and RMA number.
The gun needs to ship back to the factory by UPS (the brown guys, not the post office) and it will ship back to your home, though someone over 21 will need to be there to sign for it.

The current price of a re blue is 130.00. I think I will heed the good advice here, and remove the grips - I would have anyway, since I don't want to risk my only set of factory stags. :)

I will revisit this post once the gun comes back, to let you all know how it went.
Thanks for all your input guys!

That would probably be one of the better uses of $130 I can think of . . . assuming you don't mind losing collector value on that old Flattie.

It will be pretty.

Out of curiosity . . . is it a 6-1/2" or a 7-1/2" gun?

:)

Ale-8(1) said:
That would probably be one of the better uses of $130 I can think of . . . assuming you don't mind losing collector value on that old Flattie.

It will be pretty.

Out of curiosity . . . is it a 6-1/2" or a 7-1/2" gun?

:)

It's a 4 digit 6 1/2".

If it were not so rough, I wouldn't consider it, but it will polish out and blue quite nicely.
It's the last .44 flat top I own, I already sold the nicer ones including my 10" and my 7 1/2."
I plan on keeping it forever, and it will please me more personally to see it pretty again.

The way OM flat tops have been selling lately, and the prices they are bringing, I don't care if it loses a couple hundred bucks in collector value. Some guys don't care anyway, and won't even consider a well experienced gun.... :wink:
Besides, it will sure look nice with those aged factory stags...

akbluz

Blackhawk
Watchman,
Good on you - your gun, your decision. I too love to see a finely blued handgun and I'm sure it will look great with the stag grips you have for it. I hope you can enjoy it for years to come.... the next owner can put the "old model" parts back in when you pass it on. I love my Ruger handguns - especially the one Old Model I own that has been treated tenderly all it's life.