XRP grip frame?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Varminterror

Blackhawk
A post on another thread was looking for a grip for a 4 5/8" SBH, after a Hogue 83000 did not fit (XR3-RED mono grip). The inside of his grip panels are engraved "XRP". Eagle grips seems to be the only ones who have said anything about this - and they claim it is a new grip frame released in the last year.

Anyone heard of this? My bad if I missed the memo, but I hadn't seen any hubbub around here about a new XRP grip frame being released, and I struggle to understand why they would have produced something new just for distributor exclusives and Single 7's.

contender

Ruger Guru
I haven't heard about it. I'd almost venture there is a mis-communication or mis-marking somewhere or somehow. I'd think maybe it's XR3.
JMO.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I haven't heard about an XRP Super BH grip frames/grips.

Here's the reference on the Eagle grip website: https://www.eaglegrips.com/295-new-model-super-blackhawk-xrp-frame-grips-w-sn-prefix-88

They say it's for SBHs with an 88 serial # prefix. But the 88s didn't begin in the past year, they began back in 2013.

The only difference in the SBH XR3-RED size standard non-dragoon grip frames (used on the 5 1/2" barrels and shorter) is the elimination of the support extensions that fit into the back of the main frame. Which means it takes grips that are no longer notched in the upper front corners. But change in grip size.

No mention of a grip frame change in the Ruger parts list on their site. But it never seems to be updated timely.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
The stainless 45 colt blackhawks that Davidson's had a few months back had terrible fitting grips. I pulled the grips and they were marked XRP. The grip frame is XR3-RED but not marked, but does appear to be oversized somewhat like the factory didn't remove enough metal during fitting. This, and the grips appear slightly smaller seems to be the reason of the bad fit.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
index.php

Here's a picture from the OP over at THR. He traced his grip frame and it came out as an XR3-RED (3x3 box check), but when he installed a Hogue 83000, there was a 1/8" strap of backstrap standing proud at the back of the grip. So then he noted the info at Eagle's site - and called them. They're the source for "brand new grip frame, out within the last year."

It sounds more JCW64's expectation, to me. That it's just a set of XR3-RED grips which didn't get thinned in the backstrap as well as they should. But Eagle is claiming it's a new frame...

I called Ruger this morning - two of the techs there I spoke with have never heard of the XRP grip frame, and claimed they haven't made a new frame. I had them confirm grip interchangeability options by pulling the Single Seven & 4 5/8" SBH part number on their call lists KXR00300, which they confirmed match XR3-RED grip frames (confirmed by checking serials on mine against serials for my original Vaqueros).

So Eagle must be seeing some "mis-finishing" - but the grip frame is the same.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I'm going to guess the XRP came from the engraving on the inside of the grip panels, as pictured above.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Varminterror,

Good work!
I didn't see a photo above with an XRP engraving inside grip panels.

But here are all the grip frame "founder's marks" (which can be faint and often miss-read) cast on the grip frames that fit the XR3-RED size grip panels.

They are the Grip Frames used on: SBH (5 1/2" or less), Blackhawk, original Vaqueros, Single Six:

Steel - (OM #XR3-RED size):
Early = A (in a square) XR-3 (that's XR dash 3),
Late = A in circle XR-3 1 in circle

Alum alloy - (OM #XR3-RED size) w/o lock:
Early = NXR3-RED,
Late = XRN-3RED.
With lock = XR & L, locks discontinued in 2012

STAINLESS - (OM #XR3-RED size):
Earliest = KXR-3,
Next = KXR-3 with a separate N,
Late = K (in circle) XRN-3,
most current = no markings

I can only imagine that perhaps a Ruger novice at Eagle Grips miss-read one of those founder's marks as XRP.

hhilljr

Bearcat
My Single 7 purchased this year had XRP machined into the grip panels. I ordered a set of Eagle grips for it, which fit very poorly when I received them. We had several conversations about the situation, and I'm not bashing their customer service or products. They made a new set which did fit better, but there does seem to be something different with the grip frame. Previous Eagle grips have always fit well for me.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:
Varminterror,

Good work!
I didn't see a photo above with an XRP engraving inside grip panels.
I can only imagine that perhaps a Ruger novice at Eagle Grips miss-read one of those founder's marks as XRP.

I confirmed with a manufacturing engineer pal at Ruger that there is no "XRP" frame designation. The grip panel engravings are from the supplier, not the end-all. Time will tell. I suspect the ill-shaped frames encountered are merely out-of-spec but shipped under marketing pressures. I am hardly alone in that hypothesis.

Detailed pics would indeed be helpful.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
We might be getting somewhere now. I have several pair of Altimont grips in faux ivory.

hhilljr said:
My Single 7 purchased this year had XRP machined into the grip panels. I ordered a set of Eagle grips for it, which fit very poorly when I received them. We had several conversations about the situation, and I'm not bashing their customer service or products. They made a new set which did fit better, but there does seem to be something different with the grip frame. Previous Eagle grips have always fit well for me.

Those for the XR3 size grip frame (New Vaquero, etc.) are milled NVB in huge letters. Apparently they are Altamont's style or material code #.

Those made to fit the 4 5/8" SBH (XR3-RED size) are milled XR on the back in huge letters.

hhilljr's marked XRP for the Single 7 which uses the XR3-RED size might be a different material. Are they laminated rosewood?