Are GP100 stainless 6 inch half shrouds desirable?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
Just wondering about any premium value of the stainless half shrouds versus full shrouds, if both are in comparable condition. Thank you. Don.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Don

Yes--if in the same condition I believe the half lug would bring more $$. They have been out of the catalog for several years now and you just dont see them around all too often. Also--in my opinion-- they handle like a dream and are very attractive looking. Great 357 for sure!

Ron

saw two this past weekend at the Medina,Oh gun show, and neither one sold and they were right at $500 and open to offers, they are "supposed" to be more desireable??? I had two earlier this summer and tough sell on BOTH....................

Fact of the matter is, guns aren't selling for what they were a year ago. I did a gun show this weekend and got a reminder. People are talking about that, and the fact that younger people don't particularly care for lot's of the guns people our age favor but they priced their guns like we had gone back in time to a year ago. Very few sales made unless you were willing to price to the CURRENT MARKET.

Don, in answer to your question, everything else being equal you MAY get more for that gun. BUT, everything is not equal and neither gun will fetch as much as they would have some time back.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
First I would like to apologize in advance to any forum member that is an FFL. Most dealers are upstanding professionals but you do find your bad eggs.

It is true that the market has changed. In the past ten years we have experience several panics where prices have gone through the roof. I have personally witness some dealers pricing Glock magazines at $250.00 each. Many buyers have been burned some more than once and most buyers our now shy to buy anything else. It does not help that many dealers over estimated the bubbles and our caught with overpriced merchandise.

The biggest problem I see at gun shows is that some dealers are so desperate to make the same amount of money that they made during the bubble that they are pushing used items as new and or rare. Ruger like most gun companies has loans to pay off and is reintroducing product lines. At a recent major show in my area one dealer was trying to sell a used Redhawk 5-1/2 blue as extremely rare for the low price of $1,200.00. Two tables over another dealer willing to make less more but generating more sales was selling the reintroduced blue Redhawk at $750.00.

The point is while that model was rare at one time most that had been willing to pay a premium own one or have died as gun buyers get older or are willing to wait for the reintroduction.

SamV

Buckeye
I wish my six inch GP was a half lug. I think the look much better. And some do say they handle a bit better. I do find my gun a touch nose heavy. I probably won't ever trade it because it is so darn accurate. Always makes me look more skilled than I am, at least in comparison with a few other guns that I have. But still I have a half lug on the wish list.

coach

Hunter
SamV said:
I wish my six inch GP was a half lug. I think the look much better. And some do say they handle a bit better. I do find my gun a touch nose heavy. I probably won't ever trade it because it is so darn accurate. Always makes me look more skilled than I am, at least in comparison with a few other guns that I have. But still I have a half lug on the wish list.
I have to add a ditto to the above about the full lug.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have both ,full lug and half lug and the two feel different when you shoot them. The full lug , will full 158 357 mag loads , has more of an upward bounce and the half lug has a little more whip and torque. Both guns shoot well and a Wilson spring kit makes a world of difference in the triggers.
The subjective feel of shooting them is just slightly different. For a walking around gun I definitely prefer the half lug in the holster. That gun with a Keith 358429 HP in a 38 spl case with a Keith load is very effective load at 1350 or so.

s4s4u

Hunter
I've always been partial to the full lug. I just like the looks of it and it also balances well for me.

woodsy

Blackhawk
For me, nose heavy is a good thing, on a six-inch .357 Magnum, with full-house loads. I don't purchase a gun because of its looks.