Frame size .

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hdrk1111

Bearcat
So I picked a 1971 new in box unfired 3 screw Blackhawk in .357 I believe it is a 6 1/2 inch barrel. I don't want to shoot it too much but just keep it as a range gun. I going to buy another new model but I was told all the convertibles are flat top mid size frames. A is that true and B if so does that matter. I plan to use the new one for deer (small costal deer) and the occasional pig hunt. Can I use buffalo bore hard cast heavy loads . I have been told only the regular BH can handle the BBore rounds.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
A. No, it's not true. A very quick search found this one at the top: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/693522361

B. Does it matter? This is a copy and paste from Buffalo Bore: "Our 357 mag. ammo adds more power than ever before to the 357 Mag. This ammo is safe to shoot in ANY all steel 357 revolver - this includes J frames. This ammo is no harder on your gun than any other normal 357 ammo. Please don't phone or email us and ask if this ammo is safe in your gun. It is, providing your gun is in a safe condition for use with any normal 357 ammo."

If a J-Frame can take it, then any Ruger revolver can handle it with aplomb.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Lipsey's does offer the convertible in the mid size fame but it has the 5.5" barrel. I believe they come in blued or stainless. The full size frame is available in blued and Williams Shooters Supply has their exclusive in stainless steel with the traditional 4 5/8" and 6.5" barrels. Both distributors seems to be out of stock on these models more often than not. The stainless models are hefty due to being all steel and the Lipsey's blued mid frame are all steel as well so you have a lot to consider.
I don't know the length limits of the mid size frame for the 357 if there are any, but I think the same gun in 45 Colt has limits with the Buffalo Bore you mention.

hdrk1111

Bearcat
Thank you all so much for the advice. I will get the stainless model convertable. I know I could probably use the 3 screw I purchased, but it is new and unfixed in original box and although I don't mind shooting it some,I just can't bring my self to slide it in and out of a leather holster.

Thanks again,
Bob

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Williams shows both stainless barrel lengths currently in stock. If your local dealer cannot get one for you, send me a PM and I can give you a price shipped to your local dealer for transfer if you like. I am a small FFL.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
hdrk1111 said:
Thank you all so much for the advice. I will get the stainless model convertable. I know I could probably use the 3 screw I purchased, but it is new and unfixed in original box and although I don't mind shooting it some,I just can't bring my self to slide it in and out of a leather holster.

Thanks again,
Bob

Bob, I guess you know that your 1971 3 screw is a mid frame, same size as the new flat tops. And the grip frame extends further to the rear than the new flat tops for more room behind the trigger guard.

The new standard Blackhawks are large frames and have the same size grip frame as your 1971 old model.

hdrk1111

Bearcat
No sir I did not know that. I am new to ruger single action centerfire. I am glad to have found this site and thank you all for all the helpful advice you've given. I shot the 1971 today. Some light .357 mags and some +p .38 special. Had to make some windage adjustments at the 25 yard mark. It shot the 38's at about 2 1/4 " resting my elbows on the table and wrists on my shooting bag. These groups are probably mediocrity for some , but are actually pretty darn good for me. I've got the bug.

Major T

Blackhawk
I have the flat top in .44 special and load it to moderately hot levels. Love this pistol. Like it even better that it fits Cllt SAA sized holsters. I do not see the slightly smaller frame as weak. It is the same size frame as the original three screw . 44 magnum. So the .357 is well within limits.

Best, JACK

lshines

Bearcat
I wonder why Ruger doesn't offer a Bisley (including unfluted cylinder), .44 mag, stainless, 5.5" or 6" barrel? Is that too weird a configuration?

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Major T said:
I have the flat top in .44 special and load it to moderately hot levels. Love this pistol. Like it even better that it fits Cllt SAA sized holsters. I do not see the slightly smaller frame as weak. It is the same size frame as the original three screw . 44 magnum. So the .357 is well within limits.

Best, JACK

Not true Jack. The original FT 44 Mag was the first gun to have the larger frame. It was determined that the frame size we now refer to as "medium" was not able to handle 44 magnum pressures/recoil. The grip frame was the same but the actual frame of the gun was the large frame we see today. However you are certainly correct in that the medium sized 357 can handle the Buffalo Bore load, as well as any other sane load in that cartridge.

lshines said:
I wonder why Ruger doesn't offer a Bisley (including unfluted cylinder), .44 mag, stainless, 5.5" or 6" barrel? Is that too weird a configuration?

They were offered as distributor exlusives with 5.5" barrels.

Dan

lshines

Bearcat
OK, thanks Dan. Now my quest: Bisley (including unfluted cylinder), .44 mag, stainless, 5.5"