Fair price?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boatswainsmate

Bearcat
Hello All,
I was wondering what a fair price would be for an unconverted 357/9mm convertible with about 80% blue left. Looked used but not abused. Thanks in advance! Boats :?:

contender

Ruger Guru
Uhh steelblue,, you are off a bit.

A shooter grade gun, "used but not abused" may be more than 80%. Look into actual NRA grading.

That said,, any OM 357/9mm convertible not safety converted is worth more than $100 in parts alone. But,,, the honest appraisal would have to be dome with good pics & details. But any good shooter grade OM convertible like that should be AT LEAST $350.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I guess it is all a matter of what an individual would pay. I wouldn't give more than $100 unless my goal was to immediately resell it to someone willing to pay $350. :D If it were a gun I was buying to keep and use, I'd rather pay twice that for one in nicer condition. But I have paid way over market for firearms that I am particularly attracted to like the Ruger Deerfield, or the earlier .44 Carbine in mint condition.

hittman

Staff member
80% OM around here ....... $300.00 tops; unless of course it'd be something more rare/scarce like 10" barrel, flattop, have stags on it, etc.

DGW1949

Hunter
boatswainsmate said:
Hello All,
I was wondering what a fair price would be for an unconverted 357/9mm convertible with about 80% blue left. Looked used but not abused. Thanks in advance! Boats :?:

80%-worn factory finish or not...you ain't buying a mechanically sound, "unconverted" OM .357/9MM convertible in my neck of the woods for under $425-$450 these days. Heck, it would be worth at least that much just in parts.

DGW

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
If i EVER found one for $100 ( I won't) I'd sell the 9mm cylinder for that same price (easily) and have a free gun. :)

In reality I'd grab any 80% condition OM if they were $350.

Dan

street

Hunter
Anyone have any idea what this gun is worth if it doesn't have a digit-prefix serial number. :roll: Just wondering why no one ever thought to ask! :wink:

DGW1949

Hunter
street said:
Anyone have any idea what this gun is worth if it doesn't have a digit-prefix serial number. :roll: Just wondering why no one ever thought to ask! :wink:

Prefix or non-prefix don't seem to matter around here...unless it's a flat top, which I assumed the gun in question is not. Or leastways, the OP didn't specify it as being one.

DGW

same around here, the prefix or NOT means NOTHING, it is simply a sum of the total of the parts, gotta be NICE to get a few dollars more, and even then lately they are not even looking at single action, cowboy guns around here..... 8) :roll:

(prefix old model Super Blackhawk in NICE shape, easy 90-95% condition, with ONLY a chip out of the one grip panel, sold for $400 this past weekend....duh) :?

street

Hunter
Just out of curiosity. How many out there own a factory shipped Old Model Blackhawk .357-9MM convertible that doesn't have a prefix serial number? How many have seen one?

Here is what RENE says about them.
BKH-34X and BKH36X with non-prefix serial number. Known s/n range 104433 to 132597 (BKH-34X) and 103608 to 134817 (BKH-36X). Qualitities: Maybe 500 BKH-34X (only 10 known) and 1,500 BKH-36X (26 noted). Both of these variations are highly prized by collectors, the BKH-34X especially so.

sad part or the "down" side, is how many are now out there that someone else added a cylinder (9mm) to the gun, as there are still more "users", shooters, and owners that are NOT "collectors" they want it to use,, shoot, keep things simple ,one gun that can shoot 38s,357s as well as all that left over 9mm that grandpa brought home from the war ( you name the war) 8) :roll:

Being that we never "collected" Blackhawks ourselves, not sure without talking with my "spirit" friend Bob C just how many there may be in the "non "prefixed, shipped from the factory as such,,,,gosh I miss Bob, was talking about him at the show this weekend :(

Chad have any quantity numbers in the 'RENE' ??

boatswainsmate, if YOU like the gun, and its not too much, you never said what they were asking), but if you want it, buy it....... :wink:

street

Hunter
Dan! You must not have read my post! Look at the paragraph in red! It is a direct quote out of Chad's RENE. As you can see there is only about 500 of the 4 5/8 in guns and 1500 of the 6 1/2 in guns. But the important thing is that Chad says only 10 of the 4 5/8 in guns and 26 of the 6 1/2 in guns have been found.

One of the collectors on the forum paid somewhere between 2000 and 3000 dollars for a mint 4 5/8 inch, in the box with papers gun. Being that only 10 of these guns have been found I'm sure that he has looked for years before he found it.

As the gun in question is only 80% or so, without a picture we don't know for sure, and being that only 26 have been found then I would think that it should be worth more then a common convertible. Yea! I know you may walk up to a table at a gun show and the dealer not knowing what he has and get it for a steal. But the gentleman who posted wanted the know the value of the gun. To a collector who doesn't have one in his collection then he would pay more then what a common convertible would bring.