Ruger Single Six Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

righttoown

Bearcat
I have a 50th anniversary Ruger Single Six .22 and am looking for some grips. According to Ruger the frame model number is 660. Any suggestions where I can find some?

remove the grips and see whats marked on the frame, being it is 2003, and the change to the "new" old model XR-3 were on the 50th anniversary flatop 357, (2005) Then you should be able to use the XR-3 red style ( flaired bottoms) grips on your gun, I recall they came with a reddish , looked laminated type of grips.

righttoown

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
remove the grips and see whats marked on the frame, being it is 2003, and the change to the "new" old model XR-3 were on the 50th anniversary flatop 357 you should be able to use the XR-3 red style ( flaired bottoms) grips on that gun, I recall they came with a reddish , looked laminated type of grips.
Ok, thanks I'll check and the ones on there are a reddish looking laminated.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The Anniv single six came with genuine rosewood* grips, not laminated.
I think some one swapped the grips with later laminated 'rosewoods' and they will have black emblems if so.

The way to tell for sure is the Anniv Model had red emblems. See one here:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/692678042

*EDIT: cocobollo, not redwood or rosewood.

Good, then you only have to worry that any "new model" grips you buy are flaired as well as having the slanted ,notch cut at the top, front of each panel,,, we see lots of the "new' grips there is NO notch, as well as the holes for the locating pin is ever so slightly MOVED.....change in the grip frame design ??.........

Hondo,, he sent me the picture and yes the grips of the anniversary model red medallions, flaired, and the notch top front of the inner panels,frame is marked XRN-3 Red, and appear to be the rosewood ones, and except for a few scrapes, scratches, would clean up, refinish quite nicely..........
just wonder what kind of grips he is looking to replace them with???

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Hi Dan,

Thx for the photos. I agree, they are correct genuine redwood* anniv grips for that gun. They are referred to as the 'XR3-RED size', the most common size used on new models. There are many different grip frames numbers that they fit including XRN-3 RED.

F-gripsquare3.jpg

*EDIT: cocobollo, not redwood or rosewood.

Latest posts