New to Me .357 Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
I bought an Old Model .357 Blackhawk on GunBroker a little while back. 6 1/2" barrel, some finish rubbed off the left side of the muzzle (holster wear I presume), a pretty good turn line. It came in during the week, and I took her shooting this morning. I'm very happy with her! She shoots well, and recoil is not objectionable, even with magnum ammo. She has not been upgraded, so she is empty under the hammer if I'm going to carry her.

Will Ruger send me the parts for the transfer bar safety upgrade? Or do I have to send it in?

A serial number check tells me she was born in 1965, just one year younger than I am!

In the picture, the finish looks funny, kind of like marble or something. Just an effect, not sure what causes that, the finish in person is just like it's supposed to be!

hittman

Staff member
BPGuy said:
She has not been upgraded

Many don't consider the conversion an upgrade.

Don't think Ruger just sends you the parts but others here will surely know for certain.

It's your gun to do with what you like but ...... iffn ya ever go to sell it, knock $150 off the price due to the "upgrade". :lol:

Well, if you have the conversion done, just be sure to insist on the return of the original parts, which is normal but it never hurts to mention it.

If you have the original parts, you can avoid that $150 loss.

Personally, I'd not have it done, but it's your gun (and a nice one at that).

:)

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Ale-8(1) said:
Well, if you have the conversion done, just be sure to insist on the return of the original parts, which is normal but it never hurts to mention it.

If you have the original parts, you can avoid that $150 loss.

That is one of the reasons I don't want to send it back - if I do the conversion, I KNOW the parts will still be there, and should I someday decide to move it on, I could convert it back to original condition.

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and kind words!

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
I agree with others in NOT getting the conversion. If you need to carry 6 or don't feel comfortable handling an OM, get a NM. A converted OM has the absolute worst action and trigger quality IMO.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The conversion is free including shipping. Ruger will not send you the retrofit parts!
The bottom of your frame under the trigger guard will be stamped with an 'R' for retrofit.

If you send it, strip out your action parts including hammer and trigger and you won't have to worry about getting them back. Many do that.

Or you can pick up the transfer bar retrofit parts on this forum and ebay for usually around $25. They're very numerous.

DGW1949

Hunter
Note also that the "safety conversion" uses a different cylinder pin, latch, and trigger spring, so if you're going to send the gun in without it's action parts, you'll need to keep those too.

DGW

hdxr750

Single-Sixer
What do you think would happen if you took the parts that Ruger is going to replace and shipped the Gun without them back for the work you want to have done? Would they do the conversion without them? I know first hand they know what Guns have not been converted. But I never ask that question.

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
I bought a Blackhawk Old Model 357 that had been converted and did not have the old parts with it. Well, I didn't really buy it, I loaned a guy $200 about 5 years ago and he never came up with the money to buy it back. It has as good a trigger as any of my New Models came with. I'm just going to shoot it and be happy with it. It's lighter than the New Models, and I carry it when I want to carry a 357. When I carry a New Model, I carry my 45 Colt because it's lighter than the 357's
Ron

Hondo44

Hawkeye
hdxr750 said:
What do you think would happen if you took the parts that Ruger is going to replace and shipped the Gun without them back for the work you want to have done? Would they do the conversion without them? I know first hand they know what Guns have not been converted. But I never ask that question.

Already addressed in above post dated 9/9/17, 5:45 PM:

"If you send it, strip out your action parts including hammer and trigger and you won't have to worry about getting them back. Many do that."

Hondo44

Hawkeye
2sheriffs said:
I bought a Blackhawk Old Model 357 that had been converted and did not have the old parts with it. Well, I didn't really buy it, I loaned a guy $200 about 5 years ago and he never came up with the money to buy it back. It has as good a trigger as any of my New Models came with. I'm just going to shoot it and be happy with it. It's lighter than the New Models, and I carry it when I want to carry a 357. When I carry a New Model, I carry my 45 Colt because it's lighter than the 357's
Ron

Ron that's a great carry. Lighter than the NM standard Blackhawk 357 because your old model is a mid size frame.
Lighter than the NM Flat Top Blackhawk mid size frame because it has a steel grip frame. Yours is alum alloy.