Anyone have an LCR-X in 38 Special?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I was interested in one but I wonder if the lightness increases felt recoil much. Both my hands are damaged and age is increasing the sensitivity to recoil in the form of extended pain. I have a S&W Model 10 that works but I do love those Ruger LCR-X models.

s4s4u

Hunter
I have the short barrel version and it is a bit snappy. With +P 158's it's no fun at all, 125's are a bit more comfortable but still don't like shooting more than a few cyl's a session. Never have tried standard 38's with it. It's not a heavy recoil, but sudden and sharp.

I have 3 variations in 38 spl. The standard short barrel LCR, the short barrel LCRx, and the 3" LCRx with adjustable sights. The longer Hogue grip on the 3" model is much more pleasant shooting than the other two. I mostly shoot reloads now that are a hot 38, but not quite a plus P velocity. I have no problem shooting these in any of them.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I have the LCRx in short barrel and three inch configuration. Compared to a model 10 they do kick harder. However, I don't find the recoil particularly uncomfortable. The grips are well designed and the oversize grips that come on the three inch model are very comfortable. I am willing to fire a box of fifty +P through either revolver. But your mileage may vary.

See if you can rent one or borrow one to try out. Fire the LCRx and the model 10 in the same session if possible.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I have the original LCR and an LCRx 38 with the bigger grips that come on the 3" LCRx without finger grooves.

I can't say I feel much of a difference in recoil, but the bigger grips on the LCRx are more comfortable.

00BuckB

Bearcat
teuthis, I have the snub LCRx and love it. I have rheumatoid arthritis and can still manage it pretty easily. My 80 yr. old mother even enjoy's it. At the range I usually run 158 gr. winchester white box or blazer rounds since that is what is available in my area. Like the snub for CCW and I'm debating about putting on the longer grip for range use.

Tom W

Blackhawk
My friend brought one up from his home for me to shoot. The 158 gr.jhp + p were snappy, but not too bad. I had a few 125 gr. cast handloads that shot a whole lot easier, as well as some wadcutters. It's a nice light revolver.

It is so difficult to share perceived-recoil experiences.

I have a LCRx in .38 Special. I do not consider any .38 Special in any revolver to be uncomfortable. The LCRx is no exception. Very controllable. In fact, probably even boring. I've not fired it in a year or better.

As the other folks have said, you've just gotta try one for yourself. Many of us out in the Wild West will share most of our guns for a road test, and I can't imagine folks elsewhere would not extend the same courtesy.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
My only issue, after many decades of shooting is that old wounds and injuries have made my hands very sensitive to the recoil. I can shoot but I pay the price. I do have a Ruger SP101 in .357 mag that is small and comfortable to shoot 38 Special. But I do love the LCR-X revolvers and thought i might investigate one in 38 Special. I plan to rent one at the range and see. Thanks :)

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
I am 82, and I shoot an LCRx 3' .38 sp. (backup) I carry it in my back pocket with a leather pocket protector.
Recoil is no problem.
I also carry an Sr1911. Right side owb. I wear a summer short sleeved shirt two sizes to large. Untucked.
Winter time, whatever jacket I want to wear.
What thug expects an old fart like me to carry a honkin' 1911 and .38 sp wheel gun?
To paraphrase Gomer, "surprise, surprise"!

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I have chronic and extensive diver's sickness, and compression wounds. At my young age of 69, just about everything causes acute inflammation that lasts for days, and in the right places, incapacitates me. I am selling off many of my remaining guns and looking for more that I could still shoot. Right now I have a Ruger SP-101 with a four inch barrel and I can shoot .38 Specials in it okay. But I do love the LCR-X's. That is why I was asking. I just might give the .38 Special in LCR-X a try. Thanks for all the information. :)

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
teuthis said:
I was interested in one but I wonder if the lightness increases felt recoil much. Both my hands are damaged and age is increasing the sensitivity to recoil in the form of extended pain. I have a S&W Model 10 that works but I do love those Ruger LCR-X models.

Teuthis,
Fine as long as you do not use +p. My wife is 80 and shoots an LCR and LCRX3'.
Shooting gloves help. Use them for practice. If you have to defend yourself, a little pain
in your hands is worth the results.
Blackie

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
gramps said:
Jimbo357mag said:
The 357 mag LCRx is about 4 oz heavier which would help with recoil.
Yep, but it doesn't come with a 3 inch barrel yet. :roll: :(
gramps

Gramps,
My LCRx 3" obviously has a three inch barrel. However it is not set up for .357 Mag.
it shoots +P though.
I think Tuethis was looking for a .38 special.
Blackie

falrifles

Bearcat
I have an LCR in .38 special. I took it on trade from a 74 year old lady I work with that lives in a bad neighborhood here in St Louis. I initially recommended that she buy this gun for self defense. I took her to the gun club I belong to and tried to teach her to shoot it. She kept complaining about the recoil. We were using my factory equivalent 158 grain cast lead reloads. Well maybe plus P, about 950 fps. I tired the gun and was startled and a bit embarrassed that I was putting her through such recoil. It seems to smack you real hard right in the web of your hand.

On the same day, she shot two of my other hand guns. An LCP and and a Glock 19. She did better and enjoyed them more than her revolver. I ended up letting her have my LC9 in exchange for the LCR. She really wanted the Glock 19 but that's not going to happen. Its my department approved off duty gun. She actually did the best with the Glock. Mild recoil and plenty of chances to end the threat in the magazine. Just some thoughts...

Katz

Bearcat
I carry my 3in LCRx 38spec in the woods a lot. Weight counts for me....ultra-light....recoil is okay.