GP 100 or Redhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

45guy

Bearcat
Spanking new member here. Wanting another 45 colt. Already have bisley blackhawk.Love it and has put one big does in my freezer. Now I want a double action. Either a 4" Redhawks or 4" Gp100. Which do ya'll prefer and why?

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Welcome to the forum, If it is another 45lc then you will have to go with the Redhawk. The GP is only available in 357 mag, 22 lr and 44 special.

45guy

Bearcat
OK. Should have gone to their website first. Wow. A little pricey. If I wasn't so set on a 45, that Gp100 with 8 shot cylinder looks tempting. I watched Hickok45 shooting it. Decisions!

eveled

Hawkeye
I think you meant the Redhawk with the 8 shot cylinder. Don't forget the web sight has the full retail price listed, you will pay less.

Don't know why you are stuck on .45? I'm very fond of my .357's. Being able to shoot .38 special is a big advantage.

Maybe look at .454 Casull revolvers, that way you can still shoot your .45LC.

Good luck, Ed

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Welcome to the forum!

The GP100 is primarily a six shot .357 magnum/.38 special revolver. The Redhawk is primarily a six shot .44 magnum/.44 special revolver.

Every now and then, Ruger muddies the waters a bit just to keep things interesting. They recently introduced a 5 shot .44 special GP100, as well as an 8 shot .357 Redhawk.

You can also get a Redhawk in .45 Colt that also shoots .45 acp with moon clips.

The msrp prices Ruger lists for their revolvers are kinda scary but real retail prices for them are more reasonable. Also, keep in mind that there are lots of used Ruger revolvers out there that are in excellent condition, and that usually are a good bit cheaper than brand new ones.

45guy

Bearcat
Thanks guys for keeping ,etc straightened out. And maybe my mind is changing. Those 8 holes of .357 are looking more tempting all the time. Already have he .38spl and .45C, might as well have a,357.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
45guy said:
Already have he .38spl and .45C, might as well have a,357.
Depending on what make and model your .38Sp is, you may already have a .357. Any .357 will also shoot .38 Sp so, as I mentioned, see if your current gun is really .357 capable.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have a 7.5" Stainless Redhawk and I can tell you if you want to shoot heavy 45 colts that is really the gun for you in any barrel length you desire. There are a few things to know. The gun is heavy, for a reason. The gun is strong, it can handle 44 magnums or heavy 45 colts all day. The 4" Redhawk comes with a funny (different) rubber grip but the gripframe is the same as all the others except the 45acp/45colt that has a different gripframe and a wood grip. The trigger is a little heavy and somewhat difficult to lighten.

eveled

Hawkeye
No other centerfire is as versatile as a .357 from the smallest frame revolver, to Redhawk size, and everything in between. I love my .45's but the .38/.357 is King IMHO. From light .38's to heavy .357 loads. From pocket carry to full duty size.

Acorn

Buckeye
I went with the dual caliber Redhawk. Built like the proverbial tank. The weight helps absorb recoil. You then have the option of shooting acp in it too. So far the only modification I've made is swapping out the front sight to a blued(black) front sight. The red ramp front gets "lost" when I shoot targets. I paid a little over $800 for it and. the MSRP is well north of $1000. IDK if that a good or bad price but the dealer offered me what I was asking for a Glock 17 I was trading so I was happy.