Blue or SS?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
I personally like the more classic look of blue, but then again ss can be good looking as well. Obviously ss is more rust resistant. My personal opinion (based on nothing more than a few specimens) is that blued guns have better fit / finish lately. SS Bisley frames do seem to have the most grip fit issues. The ss bisley flattops are an odd bird and much newer to the market. I'd guess the ss will hold value better based on there'll probably be fewer made since the blued version has been in production for 5 or so years now. Also ss will have a pinned on front site which is easier to change than the high temp soldered on site the blued guns come with.

That's about all I can think of.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I always wanted a S&W model 24 44spec. but never turned over the big bucks to get one. The blue finish was just so sexy for that revolver and the same gun in SS model 624 just never pulled at me the same way, however in a single action wheel gun I believe the stainless is better looking and certainly won't suffer from loss of finish or rust. You are the one that has to make this decision for your self.

jbntx

Single-Sixer
Stainless is easier to clean. You can more easily see what needs to be wiped off.

medicdave

Blackhawk
The only real choice is both. They both clean up nice. Stainless with sambar and blue with real ivory

8jpkLsi.jpg

D5DNVSZ.jpg

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
gssp said:
Looking at the flat top Bisley's in 44 Special. Both are available in blue and SS. Pro's and Con's for either, please.
Do you like to baby your revolvers, transport them in padded cases, or are you kinda rough with your guns. The stainless will hold up better.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
41-44-45-48 said:
I personally like the more classic look of blue, but then again ss can be good looking as well. Obviously ss is more rust resistant. My personal opinion (based on nothing more than a few specimens) is that blued guns have better fit / finish lately. SS Bisley frames do seem to have the most grip fit issues. The ss bisley flattops are an odd bird and much newer to the market. I'd guess the ss will hold value better based on there'll probably be fewer made since the blued version has been in production for 5 or so years now. Also ss will have a pinned on front site which is easier to change than the high temp soldered on site the blued guns come with.

That's about all I can think of.

I was unaware of the front sight issue, that is worth consideration.

For me, it comes down to a few things. With SS, you can easily tell if an area is clean or not; with blue, it's more difficult. Also, the cleaning tools matter. A SS brush and lead wipe cloth work great on SS, but will take the blue right off. The SS will wear better, and not look "worn". Even if you're careful, blue will come off "rub" areas, such as the muzzle during holstering. And finally, SS will be more expensive than blue.

I also prefer the look of a blued gun with nice walnut stocks, but the SS is more practical. Given a choice, and a reasonably close price difference, I'd take SS.

hittman

Staff member
Whichever one you buy .... you'll end up lusting after the other one.

Just get the matched set now and save yourself the future regret.

You deserve it. Life's short.

biglmbass

Bearcat
All things being equal (& they never are) I'll take mine in stainless if I can get them. Otherwise, blue will do in a pinch. I just have to be a bit more diligent on keeping them wiped down before putting them away for any length of time.

Rclark

Hunter
Both guns will serve a person well. One is no better than the other. Unless you live in a very humid area (SS is way to go then), it's a preference thing.

A poster above says the SS is easier to clean... I don't find it so. The SS shows every speck of residue that may be hanging around, so it much more 'finicky' to get clean and takes a little longer (for me). I can do a quick clean up/wipe down of my blued revolvers and they still look good -- even though every speck of residue isn't out of every crevice of the gun. I prefer blued, and I don't mind a bit of 'honest' wear on the revolver due to holster or whatever.

Again, it's a preference thing.

Latest posts