LCR 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
I just purchased a LCR 357 on Gunbroker ... This will be my fourth LCR I have purchased since their introduction...I have had two 38spl one was the LCRx and I have had one in 9mm ...
I traded the last three away .. I had planned on keeping the 9mm but traded it on this site ....
This will be my first LCR in 357 mag .. I have waited to see if a LCRX in 357 mag with a 3 inch barrel would be produced but it seems if so it will be a while yet ...
Just wondering if any LCR 357 mag owners have installed the smaller boot grip and if so was the handgun manageable ..
I will be useing 357 mag ammo .. No 38 spl fodder ..most likely 125gr Remington SJHP

hittman

Staff member
Buckeye! said:
Just wondering if any LCR 357 mag owners have installed the smaller boot grip and if so was the handgun manageable ..

Former 357 owner here. Now have the 38 with a red fiber optic front site.
Yes on the smaller grip.
No on manageable.

Sure, you could stand to shoot it in an emergency situation but for me, about 10 rounds at the range was a world of plenty .... and painful.

I sold it to my son who a year later traded it for a 38 LCR.

My 38 LCR is my EDC.

Tommyhof

Bearcat
I actually added the houge bigger grip to my LCRX357, still concealable, but makes it so easy to shoot, waiting for the three inch as well, I would prefer the 3" without adjustable rear sight, just like the short one but with 3" barrel. I also have a LCR38 and LCRX22, I like the LCRs, I mostly carry the LCR38 with +p. The LCRX357 is my camping gun, but will be my carry guns in the winter when back in jeans instead of shorts.
There is also the Pachmarh (SP) diamond grips, these are nice as well, thicker but a little short then the big houge grip.

Tommyhof

Bearcat
PS: You can shoot 38+Ps in the LCR357 all day long with no problem, and just carry 357's for time when you might need them, JMO but 38+P is all you need in the 38 or 357 for urban threats.

stare-decisis

Single-Sixer
I loved my 357 lcr but even with the large grips, it was not fun to shoot. The boot grip did not help. I have a lcrx 38 now since I figure I'm only going to shoot 38s anyway..

Mus408

Hunter
I now keep +P .38 SP in my LCR .357 just in case my wife has to use it. For me shooting a quick cylinder of Magnum rounds does get your attention but was not painful or that difficult to hold on target. Now for range use/plinking it's 38's .
For my light carry use I'm staying with my Charter Arms .44 Bull Dog.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I bought a used LCR in 357 that had Crimson Trace grips on it. I tried it with .38's and won't be shooting too many 357 loads in it. Too much recoil for me to try that.

I like my 327 LCR very much but 115 gr self defense loads are not pleasant in it.

Your results may vary from mine.

32Magfan

teuthis

Single-Sixer
All I can say is "OUCH!" I tried those lighter revolvers back when I was shooting more and a lot younger. They hurt even then. I think control will always be an issue with those very light guns. I would try the Ruger ARX rounds. They are lighter and very fast and might be controllable.

hittman said:
Buckeye! said:

Former 357 owner here. Now have the 38 with a red fiber optic front site.
Yes on the smaller grip.
No on manageable.

Sure, you could stand to shoot it in an emergency situation but for me, about 10 rounds at the range was a world of plenty .... and painful.

I sold it to my son who a year later traded it for a 38 LCR.

My 38 LCR is my EDC.

Hittman, sorry if this is a dumb question, but just out of curiosity, why didn't you just load your 357LCR with 38+P's? I know it's a couple of ounces heavier but seems it would have just been easier. I don't often pack a revolver anymore but when I do it's typically my 357 mag LCR with 38+P's. I have to be missing something.

hittman

Staff member
Well ..... a funny story about that.

1. My son had bugged me about buying my 357 because he wasn't finding any of them used and didn't want to pay new price.

2. A local store ran a black-Friday special for this 38 with red fiber optic front site for a stupid-low price at the time; $299.00.

3. To me, the weight difference was noticable since I have to wear "dress clothes" to work.

Sounds like your son is a tight wad. Reminds me a lot of myself. :) I buy a lot more used guns than new. However, some guns just aren't available as used due to just coming out. Sorry to hear you have to wear "dress clothes". I don't own any anymore. Don't want any. Idaho is pretty informal. I think it's more informal than Alaska. My only "dress clothes" are black levis. :) I call that formal wear. If you run into any more of those $299 LCR's you know who to call. :D