Do all recent .45ACP Vaqueros also accept .45LC Cylinders?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Aside from the usual possible variations in fit for any new cylinder, should any recent .45ACP Vaquero be fully suited to accept a .45 Colt cylinder and function normally?

In other words, is there any difference between a recent .45 ACP Vaquero and a .45 convertable Vaquero?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
None that I am aware of. I own pairs of both types,both .45 Colt and convertibles.
A couple years back I found a stainless .45 ACP cylinder advertised for a great price and bought it just to keep for a someday project. I later found it to be a perfect drop in fit to another Vaquero that was .45 Colt only from the factory.

Diamondtreo

Single-Sixer
Luck of the draw. Most, if not all cylinders are fitted to the frame. With variations of 1 to 2 thousandths of an inch, a cylinder that has been fitted to another frame may or may not fit your frame. If you want to buy a second cylinder, look for one being sold and ask for distinct dimensions of overall length (from the front bearing surface of the pin hole to the rear surface of the indexing star and overall diameter, as new and old model sizes will differ.) Check your cylinder with a 2" micrometer (a vernier may not give true readings) to know what size you need. Too long & it will require stoning or machining of the front bearing surface. Barrel interference will require removing metal from the front of the cylinder. Too large a diameter of the new cylinder & you are SOL.

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Good advice! Thanks.

So structurally speaking, I am getting that the frame itself of a .45ACP model is not different from a .45LC frame.

Timbo22

Single-Sixer
Yes is the short answer. The recent New Vaqueros (medium frame size) have been made in both 45 ACP as well as 45 Colt (and maybe even shipped with both cylinders as convertible models, if I remember correctly). I have a recent Flat Top Blackhawk medium frame convertible in 45 ACP/Colt which is the same frame size as the New Vaquero but with adjustable sights.
Good luck in finding a properly fitting cylinder to make a convertible.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Original Vaquero large frame cyls swap with each other notwithstanding the above overall length issue posted above.

And New Vaquero mid frame cyls swap with each other, etc.

The exception is the New Vaq 44 Mag which is a large frame like the original.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
A frame is a frame. That is, all frames of like type, are of the same size. A cylinder from a medium frame (i.e. a Flat Top, will fit into any other medium frame, and a cylinder from a large frame (as .44 Magnum frame) will fit into any other large frame, providing the barrel is not installed.

Ruger has carefully controlled the length of the barrel stub, the part of the barrel that extends into the frame window, so a cylinder for a larger caliber cartridge cannot be fit into a frame having a smaller caliber barrel. For example, a klutz won't inadvertently put his .45 Colt cylinder into the frame of a .357 Magnum.

Bob Wright