lcr hammer pivot lubrification

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hi everybody

I would like to buy a lcr due to his lightness and simplicity.

Reading lcr's manual ruger RECOMMEND to lubrificate the hammer and the hammer pivot every 1000 rounds.

What if i don't do it.

Is not that i'm lazy but i would like to choose this gun for his simplicity,
and the operation above it doesn't seem simple.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
If you do nothing,, I doubt it'll be an issue. However,,, as a general rule,, as noted,,, if you shoot a firearm,, it'll get dirty,, and need periodic cleaning. All mechanical items that have moving parts need occasional cleaning & lubing. It's not hard to clean a LCR,, and to add a bit of oil in areas where the parts meet & rub.
Besides,, if you do use it,, it will need cleaning. And,, if you are planning on using this gun for your personal protection,,, a bit of preventive maintenance to assure it will work if you ever actually needed it would be a good thing. Yes,,, the LCR is a simplistic gun comparatively, but it is still a mechanical object. And the lubing of the hammer pivot isn't too hard.

pisgah

Buckeye
stefano_chiappucci said:
Reading lcr's manual ruger RECOMMEND to lubrificate the hammer and the hammer pivot every 1000 rounds.

What if i don't do it.

Here's some edumacation on lubrification:

Don't overdo it. And 1 drop every 1000 rounds is far from overdoing it.

The problem is not to place a drop of oil but all the disassembly to get it.
1) remove the grip
2) push on hammer pivot with a small punch (on the right side of the lcr)

And to be honest i can't understand the other point of the process written in page 24 of the manual.
Do you know if there is a video of this process?

stefano_chiappucci said:
The problem is not to place a drop of oil but all the disassembly to get it.
1) remove the grip
2) push on hammer pivot with a small punch (on the right side of the lcr)

And to be honest i can't understand the other point of the process written in page 24 of the manual.
Do you know if there is a video of this process?
Look here:
http://ruger.com/videos.html?vid=131271707&cat=3769277

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Try Rem Oil , that stuff travels. I put a drop on the cylinder latch,the pawl and on the loading gate pivot ( SA guns ) ,cock the hammer and place a drop on the firing pin and the hammer pivot. A week later it has migrated to the outside of the frame in a very light film that is easily wiped off. I know my gun is well lubricated.

pisgah

Buckeye
Remove the grip, ease the pivot pin partially out, drop of oil, reposition pivot pin, replace grip -- and that only about every 1000 rounds? If that is too much you need another gun -- but I can think of few that make it simpler.

Thank you everybody especially Hawkeye

Watching the video i figured out that the operation isn't that difficult.
Thank again.