Value estimate on 1959 Super Blackhawk s/n 16X

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Erv

Bearcat
Gentlemen, need help. I have a 1959 Super Blackhawk .44 with the "square type trigger guard)serial no. 16X, that I bought new. I've shot it and took a whitetail with it. It's in great shape; I take it out every year and clean and oil it on my birthday. I 'm planning to go to Cabela's to see if they're interested in their Gun Library. I have no idea it might go for, just want an idea of value and perhaps sell it locally (Greenville, SC) to someone, who would appreciate it. Not looking to gouge anyone...too old for that and yes, I'm that old.

contender

Ruger Guru
Wow! Welcome to the Forum!
A 3 digit,,,, 1959 Super is a NICE one to have.
You may have a very valuable gun. Generally speaking,,, some the guns in that serial number range have what we call a "Long Frame." The grip frame is longer than the "standard" Super Blackhawk grip frame. You would need to compare your gun with a later built gun to see if the grip frame is longer than the regular Super g/f.
Next,,, do you have the original box? That's s big deal too. The box can possibly add $300-$500 to the value. The original box should be a wooden mahogany box.
Does it have an "eagle logo" on the barrel? It should have it.

In excellent condition,, the mahogany cased short framed Supers are worth about $1200,,, while the long framed ones are about $2100.

Cabelas will NOT give you near what it's worth.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Erv,
The G'ville Cabela's will only give you maybe 75% of what your Super Blackhawk is worth. There's a SC Arms Collector's gun show at the TD Bank Center just off Pleasantbutg Drive in G'ville this weekend. Take the turn at the Krispy Kreme. Take the pistol to the show and look for the collector's tables. They won't have flea market junk, Glocks and AR15 stuff everywhere. You should get offers aplenty. When they put the security strap on it at the entrance ask the cop to put it behind the hammer so it can't be cocked. This will help keep some ham-handed Bubba from getting too familiar with it. 95% or better with no box, and no factory transfer bar conversion and you should be looking at around $1200 maybe more. The real experts here may give you a better estimate than I can. I'm over in Anderson. If I didn't have my daughter's wedding to shill out for I'd make you an offer.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
8) I just picked up a four digit Super that would be a White box gun if it had the box. Gun is 99% and looks unfired since it left the factory. Cabela's offered the previous owner $ 500.00 which was a total joke so it ended up in my collection.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
The three digit adds a great deal to any old model Ruger single action, a great deal. In this case at least $800 per older RENE value sheet. Pictures would be needed to determine possible subtle differences. My opinion is no less than $2,000.00.

SATCOM

Tip

Single-Sixer
Danjet500 said:
I auctioned my three digit Super with mahogany box last November. Sold for $1790. :D

That makes me wish I had the original mohagany box for my SBH, shipped May of 1960 according to Ruger.

Welcome to the forum, Erv. I wish I could make you an offer for your 3-digit SBH. May you and the buyer both be pleased!

21mxlcj.jpg

NitroAcres

Single-Sixer
Cabelas Library be damned....it would be hijacked and never see it....

Here are folks who LOVE Rugers, Here is where you can find a deserving New Owner for this Revolver..and you will get Proper Dollar for it.

never know , till the number (what 3 digits?) floats somebodies boat, or they NEED it ( the PUCKER FACTOR) 8)
I sold my 3 digit cased Super for less some time back ,BUT it was to a friend ( my dealer)
So that being said, put up some pictures get the word out (run it up the flagpole) and see who salutes, DO NOT take it to any box store or gunshop unless they are actually a "collector" and tell you , price it front , just that way....most if not all, run in the 60% of blue book value , and low numbered guns are NOT featured in any "blue book" that s a collectors, true buyers call, or in the case of an auction just how well the bidding goes but I've seen auctions where Ruger buyers were NOT there, the guns sold for less than the folks had in them...PLUS there are all the "fees" both for buyers as well as sellers, screw 'em..........
do NOT be in any hurry to sell or unload it, do your homework,see how many "honest folks will tell you just what the gun really is worth, let alone how much they are willing to pay for it :roll: :wink:

Ale-8(1)

Hawkeye
contender said:
In excellent condition,, the mahogany cased short framed Supers are worth about $1200,,, while the long framed ones are about $2100.

According to the RENE price guide, the three-digit versions are $1975 and $2600, respectively.

Those digits matter.

:wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
I stand corrected as I looked at the "normal" pricing & forgot to check the 3 digit column. In my haste,, I forgot to double check myself.