New Release...Cerakoted SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This SP101 just announced by Ruger. This is a cerakoted stainless revolver.

Why couldn't Ruger give this or other darkening treatments to more of their stainless offerings?

Shiny is often the down side of stainless. This fixes it.

I don't go into dark alleys after bad guys, so I don't worry about the gun being shiny. I've hunted with stainless guns for 30 years and it hasn't been a problem. I'm more concerned about durability, and low maintenance. I would think you could cerakote a stainless gun if you don't want it shiny. But with revolvers people want a gun that will hold up.

JStacy

Blackhawk
For personal defense a shiny gun is a plus because the bad guys can see you are armed.
For hunting and field use a SS gun is easily cleaned up for any surface blemishes .

wolfee

Blackhawk
Couldn't agree more, wayno. For me it's not a case of tactical function. Just an old guy that appreciates traditional looks to a gun. There is a lot more of us than Ruger thinks.

hittman

Staff member
A high polished blued finish with walnut grips or grip panels may get me excited to see an SP101 again.

I've owned a few of them, never had a problem with one but they've ended up being good trade stock when something else came along. It's the physical size and weight of the gun that never turned me on. Seems too heavy for concealed carry. For it's weight and size you may as well jump up to a Speed Six.

I thought when they introduced the SP it should have been the size of a J frame S&W.

contender

Ruger Guru
No matter what configuration a gun is built in,,, someone will always want something else. Blued or stainless. Or now,, coated stainless. Built it with 5 shots,,, and somebody wants 6. Built it with 6 shots & some will think it's too big. Make it with a 2-1/2" bbl, and somebody wants 2" or 3".

My point is,,, no matter what,,, they can not please everybody all the time. But sales drive development. They have to be able to sell a LOT of ANY model to make a profit. And,, everybody has personal preferences,, so they speak with their pocketbooks.

NOTE: I am NOT picking on anyone in particular,, but just making comments on the observation of how people wish for something other than what is offered,, no matter which model is produced. Not just the SP-101. I've seen this every time a new gun, or new variation is introduced.

contender said:
NOTE: I am NOT picking on anyone in particular,, but just making comments on the observation of how people wish for something other than what is offered,, no matter which model is produced. Not just the SP-101. I've seen this every time a new gun, or new variation is introduced.

Guess I don't understand. :? I use stainless, almost exclusively. Here's a process that darkens stainless, and I like it. I didn't think I was being critical. In fact, I would like to see this process expanded to their rifles.

WAYNO said:
contender said:

Guess I don't understand. :? I use stainless, almost exclusively. Here's a process that darkens stainless, and I like it. I didn't think I was being critical. In fact, I would like to see this process expanded to their rifles.

I remember in '62, my Dad bought a brand new Model 700 7 mag with a "black" stainless barrel. Not a new concept by any means.....

Dave

contender

Ruger Guru
Wayno,,, I was NOT being critical of you or anybody else. Just observing how often people comment about wanting "something else" whenever a new model or configuration is offered. ONLY an observation of human behavior. Make a car in 10 colors, and someone will want another color kind of observation. Same with guns. That's all.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Heliman said:
I remember in '62, my Dad bought a brand new Model 700 7 mag with a "black" stainless barrel. Not a new concept by any means.....
If I recall those guns correctly, what Winchester did was iron plate the barrels and then "blue" the iron plating. The various nitriding process used to blacken stainless guns today didn't exist then.

choirboy

Bearcat
My wife prefers black guns. When she purchased her 442 she gave $10 more for it than another dealer had on a 642. BTW the barrel is stainless. The whole gun is matte black with carbon steel cylinder and aluminum alloy frame.

Bear Paw Jack said:
I haven't seen the ad on this but do they specifically call it Cerkote? Also does anyone know if an individual can just have any stainless gun cerakoted or does it take some special preparation? Curious minds and all that.

Any gun can be Cerakoted. I had this stainless Redhawk done several years ago. The coating is tough. It's held up well. The coating comes in a variety of colors.

30876049790_ea1cdcc254_b.jpg

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Bear Paw Jack said:
I haven't seen the ad on this but do they specifically call it Cerkote?
The gun is a Talo exclusive and, yes, they are very specific that it is Cerakote. The Ruger spec sheet for it reads: "Finish Black Cerakote"

djw54

Single-Sixer
Arisin' Wind said:
Any gun can be Cerakoted. I had this stainless Redhawk done several years ago. The coating is tough. It's held up well. The coating comes in a variety of colors.

That is beautiful.