New Release...Cerakoted SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
AJGUNNER said:
If all my stainless guns were black, how would I ever know when they were dirty???
Years ago there was a guy at my club with a "blued" 6" GP-100. One day he showed up with a shiny stainless steel GP-100 and we asked when he got it. He said it was just his old GP but he had finally gotten around to cleaning it.

chet15

Hawkeye
WAYNO said:
This SP101 just announced by Ruger. This is a cerakoted stainless revolver.

Why couldn't Ruger give this or other darkening treatments to more of their stainless offerings?

Shiny is often the down side of stainless. This fixes it.

This model has actually been out for nearly two years.
The one I saw had Ruger's traditional heavy "white" cylinder line due to the bolt stop.
Because of that issue I didn't figure this model would be around long, but maybe there aren't enough of these sold to create a huge customer concern.
Chet15

djw54 said:
Arisin' Wind said:
Any gun can be Cerakoted. I had this stainless Redhawk done several years ago. The coating is tough. It's held up well. The coating comes in a variety of colors.

That is beautiful.

Thanks. It not only looks good it's a very versatile handgun. Loads mild to very wild. Handles well, shoots great.

jdmb03

Bearcat
This model has been out for some time. I actually like the stainless SP better. I'm not a fan of the painted finishes.

tedwhite

Bearcat
Back when I was an LEO it was all wheel guns. I carried a Chiefs Special and my partner carried a Detective Special. Both were blued and had holster shine. DS held one more round but appeared to be the same size as my CS. I suspect the frames might have been but surely the cylinders were not, but to the casual observer they appeared identical. I currently carry an SP101 and it seems much heavier than either of the aforementioned. Does anyone know how much heavier?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
tedwhite said:
I carried a Chiefs Special and my partner carried a Detective Special.......... I currently carry an SP101 and it seems much heavier than either of the aforementioned. Does anyone know how much heavier?
S&W lists the weight of a 3" M60 at 23.4 oz and a 2.1" M640 as 22.1 oz and these are pretty close to duplicates of your old Chief's Special. Ruger lists the weight of a 2.25" SP-101 as 26 oz so it is indeed a bit heavier. Of course S&W also makes an aluminum alloy frame version of the J-frames and they weigh in the 15 oz range.

tedwhite

Bearcat
Thanks, 22/45/ Fan for the info. The SP101 is probably a bit larger also. I recall trying to stuff it into a Model 36 holster. Wouldn't go in.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Bear Paw Jack said:
Dave, I remember that. Seems like they only did it in 7mag, not sure what that was all about. People did have trouble believing it was stainless though.

I've owned three of those early 700s in 7 mag with the SS barrels. I have also seen at least two that were chambered in 300 Win Mag. One I know the owner of, the other was for sale at the Birmingham gun show a few years ago.