Super Blackhawk Loading Gate fit how critical??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I bought a Super in 480 Ruger. Did not shoot it. Grips were horrible. Sent the grip frame off to have grips fitted. Since it has apart I gave the internals a once over. Lots of burrs were the polish meets the unpolished portion of the parts.. So I just gave things a light polish so all mating surfaces were smooth.

Go too the loading gate which was rather stiff in operation. All the polished portions had a substantial burr folding over all the edges. As I am cleaning things up I notice the last three digits of the serial # are electorpencilled on the loading gate. One slight problem. Last three digits are 742 not 743.

I am wondering if I should be concerned. If the gate is a little stiff in operation no big deal. The cleanup I did will surely help. No extremely familiar with how everything fits and functions with the internals. Just using my mechanical common sense and experience from other guns. Seems to me it should not be an issue as long as the spring fits properly and with enough tension to keep the gate closed under recoil and in the correct position to allow the cylinder to rotate.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I'll bet anything the electro marks are meant to be 3. I've seen some very hard to read electro #s on Rugers.
A tight gate can adjusted by just taking a little off the tip of the gate spring.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have learned that Ruger handguns are assembled from parts that are interchangeable. I'm sure they do function tests but...

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I figure if they function all is good. Just was surprised to see the numbers on the loading gate being wrong. Wonder if they are fitted prior to polish and they got mixed up on assembly.Definitely a 743 not a 742 nicest electropencil marks I have ever seen on the gate and the cylinder. So the gate works just maybe not as good as if it was in the proper frame. The fit is definitely in the realm of it will break in with time.