SBH rollmark cylinder?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Flyrod

Bearcat
I saw a blued Super Blackhawk today, new model, pre-warning, and the cylinder had a rollmark. Two parallel lines around the rear end, with the caliber marked. (not the Bisley rollmark) I've not seen one like that in blue before; is it something unusual, or did someone just swap in a "wrong" cylinder that was common on something else?

Thanks,
Flyrod

Flyrod

Bearcat
I think I answered my own question. I found a picture of a 10.5" SBH from the '80's with the same cylinder.

The owner of the gun I posted about said it was sent back to Ruger at some point. Maybe they swapped in that rollmark cylinder for some reason.

Am I correct in that the blued rollmark cylinder was not used for many years? I see it on the stainless hunter models, but had to dig around for a while before finding a picture of a blued one.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
The only blued 44 mag rollmarked cylinders I know of were from the 44mag/.44-40 convertibles Ruger released years ago. Both cylinders were rollmarked with their caliber. The gun in question is either a convertible model missing the other cylinder or somebody installed a take-off cylinder from a convertible gun onto a standard 44 mag model. But that's just my guess. A call to the Ruger factory with your serial number should help.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
I think I answered my own question. I found a picture of a 10.5" SBH from the '80's with the same cylinder. ----Flyrod

Flyrod.... have neither seen nor heard of a SBH 10-1/2" with roll marked cylinder, and doubt Ruger would have retrofitted same.
David Bradshaw

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Flyrod said:
Am I correct in that the blued rollmark cylinder was not used for many years? I see it on the stainless hunter models, but had to dig around for a while before finding a picture of a blued one.

Since Ruger only makes SBH Hunters in stainless and only Hunters are cartridge roll marked, you won't find any blue roll marked SBH cyls except the limited edition convertible model or a Frankengun.

Flyrod

Bearcat
Thank you for the comments. I spoke with the owner of the gun, and he told me where the rollmark cylinder came from.

He said that when he bought it from the first owner, fired cases were hard to remove from the cylinder. He sent it back to Ruger, and they told him that the cylinder was damaged. They replaced the cylinder and sent it back to him. The cylinder that Ruger installed was the rollmark cylinder. It must have just been what was nearby when the repair was done, apparently leftover from a run of the convertible models.

That long barreled gun I saw the picture of must have also had a replacement cylinder; I just assumed that they were standard for a while when I found the picture. Thank you David for correcting me on that.