all around carry gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i have a friend here in kentucky that got his conceal license and is looking for an all around carry gun. he is on a fixed income and has been saving and has $650 right now, he wants a gun he can carry concealed but also a gun he can use open carry in the woods hiking and camping. i knew most everyone on here would know more than me on a handgun, i have over 35 years on long guns but only about 8 years with handguns. he also only wants revolvers, thanks for any help.

Valmet

Single-Sixer
Since he wants to stick to revolvers I'd say a 4" .357 of some kind, like a Ruger or S&W. .38 target loads for plinking and fun, .38 +P or .357 for SD. A 4" is large enough to be a solid belt gun and just small enough IMO to be concealable, while easier to shoot that a .357 pocket rocket.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I think a .38spc/357 with 2"-3" barrel would suit him. My wife has a S&W 60-10 (pre safety) that is easily carried and has enough punch for woods duty. Only 5 rds tho. If he wants 6 or more the game changes. A lightly used similar gun would be well within his budget. he may need separate holsters depending on how he plans to carry concealed, so that can be a additional expense.

hpCVW5l.jpg

Of course I'm going to say this :shock:

4" Stainless steel Security Six (or Police Service Six or Speed Six for fixed sights) in .357 Mag. For slightly smaller, 3" SP101 in .357 Mag (you give up 1 round - 5 vs 6).

Revolvers are harder to conceal but with the right holster it can be done.

hittman

Staff member
38 Special LCR for me and a few guys I know locally.

Mine has the red fiber optic front site too which is a big help.

bogus bill

Hunter
I also vote a DA 3" or 4" .357 or .38 special. I carry a S&W 3" model 36 a lot with a snubbed hammer and also have a 3" S&W model 66-3 357. Another revolver I carry trail riding is a old plain jane 4" s&w m&p. Same as the newer model 10`s.
In short I believe any 3" or 4" .38 or 357 in a smith, colt or ruger is just fine for the requirements given.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Ruger SP-101 - 2", 3", or 4" barrel. A real little tank of a gun.
The 2" barrel is the most concealable, the 4" with sights is a good woods gun and the 3" is in between.
Don't be scared off by the retail price. They can be bought new, including tax and fees, for less than $600 almost anywhere.

http://ruger.com/products/sp101/models.html

COR

Blackhawk
That Smith M69 seems like a solid choice and will carry well with that 2.75" tube. The 4" K or L frame would work nicely too.

RoninPA said:
Of course I'm going to say this :shock:

4" Stainless steel Security Six (or Police Service Six or Speed Six for fixed sights) in .357 Mag. For slightly smaller, 3" SP101 in .357 Mag (you give up 1 round - 5 vs 6).

Revolvers are harder to conceal but with the right holster it can be done.

Ron, made some good recommendations and I use those as well. I would also include the 4" SP101 with the adjustable sights (also a 5 shot) and a Ruger LCRx 3" 38 special.
The Mod 60 Gunny suggested is nice as well. Does he have a favorite caliber or one he is familiar with. The Charter Arms Bulldog 44 special is pretty handy as well.
There are a lot of good revolvers that can handle the job. As someone said add a Simply Rugged holster to it and he's good to go.

dpayne

Bearcat
I really like my 2 1/4" SP 101 in a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake holster as a carry gun. I shoot it way better than the S&W 642 I used to own and the Simply Rugged holster holds it close to my body. Having a solid wheel gun at my side just feels good.

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
The smaller revolver is NOT harder to CCW once you realize that you don't try to "hide" the gun
as much as you make it look like something else.
The barrel and grip are/can be thinner/smoother than an auto [they have sharp/square edges]
It is only the cylinder that is thicker and it is rounded[like your body]
The 5 shot revolver[like an SP101 or M-60 3in] is so thin you can iwb one without trouble.
The best holsters are the pancake [smooth and tapered] or a holster that puts the cylinder above or below the belt.

sixshot

Buckeye
I would want at least a 3" barrel if it was going to double as a field gun. The 357 caliber would be just fine in any of the double action American made guns. 38 specials for practice & Gold Dots when I was serious.

Dick

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
ok, he has narrowed it down because of price so he can buy ammo and holsters and possible reloading stuff. he said the ruger lcr either 3 inch in 38 or the shorter barrel in 9mm or 357, or the charter arms in 38 or 357? he has checked all the local stores with the recommended guns and came down to these, he doesn't want a new taurus and there were no used ones. so from these what would you recommend?, i've already gave him my advice but he wants to see what others say too. thanks

hittman

Staff member
With a 9mm you gotta carry extras to make the gun work. Real inconvenient for some.

With a 357 you're likely to shoot 38's through it most of the time anyway.

The 38 Special is lighter than the 357 .... an advantage to concealed carry.

I carry my 38 with +P rounds. 38 LCR is my choice.

Barrel length? Personal preference I suppose. If an additional inch on the end of the barrel makes no difference for his concealed carry style, go for it.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
boomer92266 said:
ok, he has narrowed it down because of price so he can buy ammo and holsters and possible reloading stuff. he said the ruger lcr either 3 inch in 38 or the shorter barrel in 9mm or 357, or the charter arms in 38 or 357? he has checked all the local stores with the recommended guns and came down to these, he doesn't want a new taurus and there were no used ones. so from these what would you recommend?, i've already gave him my advice but he wants to see what others say too. thanks

Has he fired any of those? If not, I'd recommend he find a range, or a gunshop with a range that rents guns, and put a few rounds downrange. Usually can rent a gun on site for $10 or less plus ammo. He needs to know how it fits him recoil wise, etc.

jimd441

Blackhawk
+2 for the LCRx with 3" barrel and adjustable sights. It only weighs 15.7 oz. which is really nice for carry.

Jim