all around carry gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
Ruger SP-101 - 2", 3", or 4" barrel. A real little tank of a gun.
The 2" barrel is the most concealable, the 4" with sights is a good woods gun and the 3" is in between.
Don't be scared off by the retail price. They can be bought new, including tax and fees, for less than $600 almost anywhere.

http://ruger.com/products/sp101/models.html

My choice too.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
well he finally got his carry gun, he settled on the sp 101 3inch barrel. he was wanting a lighter gun but they don't make the 357 or 9mm in a 3 inch lcr. he has shot my lcr 9mm and fell in love with it but wanted a 3 inch to woods carry. he is happy so far and i told him not to skimp on a holster, get a good solid one and a good belt and he'll be ready to go. oh and he got a used gun too, it has been shot quite a bit from the looks but locks up tight and shoots to point of aim, plus the trigger while long is smoother than a new one. he got it for $375 otd so he has enough money for a holster and belt that will carry it good, thanks everyone for ya'lls help.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Bear Paw Jack said:
He got an excellent deal. If he is going to shoot mag rounds, he needs to get a Hogue mono-grip for it. Really helps with the angle of the grip, so his knuckle doesn't get whacked as easily.
Yeah but getting nice wood or stag inserts for the original grip makes the gun look fine. :D

jimd441

Blackhawk
Jimbo,

Yeah but getting nice wood or stag inserts for the original grip makes the gun look fine. I'm with you on this point.

Jim

tedwhite

Bearcat
I carry a 2" SP101 in a Wright Leather Works Predator holster. Very high quality holster. Has the extra leather strip near the holster's mouth to facilitate reholstering.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
I'm late to the thread, and the OP's friend has already made his choice. BTW , excellent choice.

But had I been more timely, I would have opened with a general discussion of " one size fits all , sole handguns " .

You will either be carrying somthing large, or shooting and woods carrying somthing small .

As an only handgun, it will be shot a lot to learn skills, maintain proficiency, and recreation. So " carry a lot, shoot seldom " guns contraindicated.

Personally I tend to carry larger sized guns . That has more to do with being willing to dress around the gun than being a big guy per se . But most people don't care to do so prefering pocket sized over all other factors.

But a 3in SP101 pretty much owns the current production sweet spot between concealment, accuracy, power , and reasonably enjoyable shooting.