Not a Ruger but maybe someone can help...Schofield...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Had my Schofield revolver for couple years and took just the side plate off for a little lube.
The thumb latch that locks up the barrel is the last part to go back on and is proving a real pain in the butt to get in seated position so pivot pin/screw can slide in and be tightend.
Of course it came off real easy! You have to slide the latch on and get the little nub of the spring in frame to engage pocket cut into the latch while pushing down and hopefully get the screw to slide in.
Had a correct size punch to slide thru on one side but the latch still cocked up a bit so screw wouldn't go in. You don't want to force while turning screw so as not to burr up threads.
A REAL pain in the butt!
Any Schofield mechanics here with a tip?
When I get it on gun going up for sale or trade!!! Or will sell as is!!!

hhilljr

Bearcat
I feel your pain! I've fought that part several times. I have no tricks to offer, but to say that persistence will eventually pay off.

Cholo

Staff member
See if there's any good info here. If not, just Google it until you find something helpful. Good luck!

www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=51071.0

www.gundisassembly.wikia.com/wiki/S%26W_Schofield

Mus408

Hunter
I found a video of a gunsmith taking it apart but not putting it back together.
You know how they tell you..." Just follow steps in reverse to assemble" yeah right!

I will try again this evening and if it goes together.... this toad goes down the road!

Cholo

Staff member
If it goes together, why take a beating on it? I you decide to dump it, I hope you offer it for sale here on the Forum.

Mus408

Hunter
Well I hope not take a beating on it and yes when I decide to sell I'll post it here.

Meanwhile back at the work bench.....

Mus408

Hunter
Found out the secret,thanks to Taylor's and Company gunsmith, but you still need a gun vice, two screwdrivers,3 hands and a prayer to get it home! Meanwhile back on the bench....

Mus408

Hunter
Success!!! Got that son of a gun in place and a fight I don't want again.
Now to trade/sell for something a bit more to my liking and has a better trigger.

Mus408

Hunter
Sold it to a friend today and a good ol' Ruger SB .44 mag is now in it's place.

Mus408

Hunter
Acorn said:
Sniff, I'd like to have a Schofield!

I would find a range or friend that has one and try shooting it first to see if you like it.
For me it was the combination of the grip and hard trigger pull that could cause me to shoot off to right,being a lefty shooter. Had to really take time and concentrate on how to pull the trigger at very bottom for leverage to get a good shot off or give it a bunch of Kentucky windage!

So I had the expierence of owning one and it was a great looking gun built well. But for me that Blackhawk is a sweet casual pick it up and hit it shooter and in .44 which I was looking to add to the collection.