Help me spec out a custom Ruger Bisley!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ExMachina

Bearcat
Hey guys. I need some help!

I'm now committed to having Jack Huntington build me a 500 JRH from a Ruger Bisley (blued) that I recently picked up. I've always wanted a "packable" 500 and decided on the 500JRH chambering (based upon bullet variety). Unfortunately though, I'm still about 4 months away from Jack even glancing at my gun, so there's plenty of time for me to fret over the particulars.

There are two major decisions I'm having trouble making and would greatly appreciate some sage advice on.

First is barrel style. The gun I'm imaging will have a 5.5"-4.75" barrel and I've gone back and forth on barrel choice--I think if I went with a barrel 5" or shorter I'd go with a heavier octagonal barrel, while I'd probably be happy with a round barrel at 5" or longer. Problem is I think I want a 5" barrel exactly :lol:

Second, I'm also trying to decide on hammer style. While the Bisley hammer is very popular, I really did not like the hammer on the one Ruger Bisley I've previously owned (I found the serrations "slippery" and the geometry of the hammer made it nearly impossible to cock one-handed). So I'm thinking I might prefer either a SBH hammer or Vaquero hammer...but I might just be crazy too :eek:

On these points and other I would greatly appreciate any advice from you folks who have prior experience with making any of these decisions. So, if you've already had a custom Ruger made, what are you happy you did and what do you wish you had done differently?

And by all means, please post pics of your custom guns--I love looking at those custom creations and now that photobucket has screwed the pooch we could all use a new set of functional pics :D

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
If you want a 5" barrel, then get one! This is your custom gun, get what you want, not what I or anyone else does!

As to barrel contour, you say you'd like a heavy octagon on a shorter barrel; is there a "medium" octagon available? That might suit your wants and needs one a 5" barrel.

I like the Bisley hammer, but I'm not concerned about one-handed cocking and shooting. If you are, get whatever suits you the best.

Good luck with your gun build adventure!

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I too don't like the bisley hammers. I have a customized Bisley Vaquero and changed to a standard BH hammer because the Bisley felt unsafe in my big hands. I have shot a SBH and really like the hammer on them and if I were the one having the revolver built that is what I would use. A 5" octagonal barrel sounds like a real looker to me and it should be a shooter also, but you are the one who has to fork over the big bucks for it so you have to make these choices.

ExMachina

Bearcat
Luckyducker said:
I too don't like the bisley hammers. I have a customized Bisley Vaquero and changed to a standard BH hammer because the Bisley felt unsafe in my big hands. I have shot a SBH and really like the hammer on them and if I were the one having the revolver built that is what I would use. A 5" octagonal barrel sounds like a real looker to me and it should be a shooter also, but you are the one who has to fork over the big bucks for it so you have to make these choices.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't love the Bisley hammer :lol: Considering that I have large hands too, I'm now really leaning toward a SBH hammer.

Enigma said:
Consider a Montado hammer. Add a 5" barrel and long ejector housing, and you're well on the way!

Thanks for the heads up about this hammer! The more that I think about, the more I like the fact that a non-Bisley hammer will also mean a non-Bisley trigger :p

And you're reading my mind about the barrel-length ERH

ExMachina

Bearcat
BPGuy said:
If you want a 5" barrel, then get one! This is your custom gun, get what you want, not what I or anyone else does!

As to barrel contour, you say you'd like a heavy octagon on a shorter barrel; is there a "medium" octagon available? That might suit your wants and needs one a 5" barrel.

They way I understand it, octagon is always gonna be heavier than round just because of the geometry involved. The little extra weight would probably be welcome in buffering the recoil. But I know that John Linebaugh seems very happy with his 4 3/4" round barrel 500, so I can't decide it I'll welcome or regret the added weight--probalby just a few ounces but still...

Good luck with your gun build adventure!

Thank you sir. Appreciate your input :)

CraigC

Hawkeye
Barrel config is purely subjective. I like mine at 4 5/8" and even though the holes are much larger, my .500 (48oz) weighs 3oz more than a comparable .44 (45oz). If you want a barrel right at 5", there's no reason not to get it.

I don't like the Bisley hammer on anything else but it is really the best for the Bisley grip frame. The grip frame places the hand lower on the gun and you really need that lower spur to get your thumb to it. Not to mention that the Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk hammer is going to leave an unsightly gap. You might instead want to have him weld up and checker the hammer spur for better traction.

IMG_8980b.jpg

ExMachina

Bearcat
CraigC said:
Barrel config is purely subjective. I like mine at 4 5/8" and even though the holes are much larger, my .500 (48oz) weighs 3oz more than a comparable .44 (45oz). If you want a barrel right at 5", there's no reason not to get it.

Is that with a round barrel you mean?

I don't like the Bisley hammer on anything else but it is really the best for the Bisley grip frame. The grip frame places the hand lower on the gun and you really need that lower spur to get your thumb to it. Not to mention that the Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk hammer is going to leave an unsightly gap. You might instead want to have him weld up and checker the hammer spur for better traction.

Right, but I also have very big hands. For example, on my Bisley Blackhawk I found that my right thumb was actually too long to pull the hammer back (Ie, I couldn't bend/contort my thumb enough to make it to the full-cock position--always had to cock it with the weak hand thumb)

:shock:

Wow!!! Is that yours? Either way, it's gorgeous!!

2 dogs

Buckeye
Hey guys. I need some help! I HAVE DONE A FEW CUSTOMS, IF YOU CAN EXCUSE THE ALL CAPS, I WILL SEE IF I CAN MAKE A FEW SUGGESTIONS.

I'm now committed to having Jack Huntington build me a 500 JRH from a Ruger Bisley (blued) that I recently picked up. I've always wanted a "packable" 500 and decided on the 500JRH chambering (based upon bullet variety). Unfortunately though, I'm still about 4 months away from Jack even glancing at my gun, so there's plenty of time for me to fret over the particulars. UNFORTUNATELY FACEBOOK HAS GONE MAD SO MANY OF THE PHOTOS THAT HAVE BEEN POSTED HAVE BEEN TAKEN DOWN SO YOUR ABILITY TO SHOP THE WEB FOR THAT "LOOK" WILL BE LIMITED.

There are two major decisions I'm having trouble making and would greatly appreciate some sage advice on.

First is barrel style. The gun I'm imaging will have a 5.5"-4.75" barrel and I've gone back and forth on barrel choice--I think if I went with a barrel 5" or shorter I'd go with a heavier octagonal barrel, while I'd probably be happy with a round barrel at 5" or longer. Problem is I think I want a 5" barrel exactly :lol: A 5" BARREL MAKES FOR A VERY HANDSOME REVOLVER. YOU CAN DO A STRAIGHT TAPER FOR A HEAVIER OR STOUTER LOOK OR A TAPERED IN EITHER ROUND OR OCTAGONAL. THE EJECTOR ROD HOUSING IS ANOTHER CONSIDERATION BECAUSE IF YOU DO A FLUSH OR MUZZLE LENGTH ERH YOU WILL GET CLOSER TO FULL CASE EXTRACTION. FOR A ROUND BARREL, I WOULD SUGGEST A ROUNDED OR COLT STYLE CROWN WHILE FOR AN OCTAGON BOTH THE COLT AND THE RECESSED LOOK VERY NICE. AN OCTAGON SHOULD HAVE AN INTEGRAL FRONT SIGHT BASE. THE FRONT SIGHT ITSELF SHOULD BE PINNED IN CASE YOU NEED/WANT TO CHANGE IT OUT. IN TAFFINS FIRST SINGLE ACTION BOOK, THERE IS A CHAPTER ON TLA'S WHERE HE SHOWS A PICTURE OF A ALL BLUE TLA, WITH WHAT APPEARS TO BE A STRAIGHT CONTOUR 5" BARREL, WITH A STANDARD ERH, AND THE FRONT SIGHT IS THE TLA TIERED LONG RANGE STYLE WITH DARK WALNUT STOCKS. IT IS A BEAUTIFUL REVOLVER.

Second, I'm also trying to decide on hammer style. While the Bisley hammer is very popular, I really did not like the hammer on the one Ruger Bisley I've previously owned (I found the serrations "slippery" and the geometry of the hammer made it nearly impossible to cock one-handed). So I'm thinking I might prefer either a SBH hammer or Vaquero hammer...but I might just be crazy too :eek: THE REAL REASON YOU NEED A BISLEY HAMMER ON YOUR NEW CUSTOM IS NOT FOR THE SPUR, IT IS FOR THE HUMP. IF YOU DONT HAVE THE HUMP, THEN YOU HAVE A GAP THAT TO ME IS PRETTY UNSIGHTLY. THE SPUR ITSELF IS VERY EASILY MODIFIED. PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DOING THAT FOR YEARS. IF SOMEONE WANTS A BISLEY SPUR ON THEIR ON SIXGUN THEY EITHER BUY A CLEMENTS CUSTOM PART OF THE GRAFT A BISLEY SPUR ONTO THE OM HAMMER. YOU CAN CERTAINLY DO THE REVERSE WHICH WOULD BE GRAFT A SBH SPUR ONTO YOUR BISLEY HAMMER. ONE THING I ALWAYS DID THAT HELPED ME WAS TO DRAW OUT A CONCEPT OF MY CUSTOM SIXGUN. IT ISNT THAT HARD, AND SOME PARTS CAN BE TRACED RIGHT ONTO THE PAPER. ITS ACTUALLY GOOD THERAPY. STILL, YOUR SPUR CAN BE WIDENED, LOWERED, COCKEYED, OR COMPLETELY REPLACED. BUT YOU SHOULD ONLY TAKE THE HUMP OFF IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE A STANDARD AND NOT A BISLEY GRIP FRAME.

On these points and other I would greatly appreciate any advice from you folks who have prior experience with making any of these decisions. So, if you've already had a custom Ruger made, what are you happy you did and what do you wish you had done differently? THE ONLY THINK I CAN THINK OF THAT I AM UNHAPPY ABOUT IS SOMETIMES I HAD TO SELL ONE OF MY CUSTOMS TO BUILD MY NEW CUSTOM WHICH IN AND OF ITSELF BECAME A NEW LEARNING OR CHAPTER IN MY SIXGUN JOURNEY.

And by all means, please post pics of your custom guns--I love looking at those custom creations and now that photobucket has screwed the pooch we could all use a new set of functional pics :D PHOTOBUCKET CAN KMA.

Snyd

Single-Sixer
If you REALLY want octagon then get it! If your set on 5", get it!

Personally I like the integrated DX Weigand sight base on octagon. Easy to change sight blades with no tools and I like the way it looks. I also like the integrated ERH lug. Personal preference. Mine is 5.5" and I can't say I've ever kicked myself for having the "extra" .5". :D

I had the hammer a trigger case colored. Are you planning any CCH?

What are you planning for grips? These are Rob Rowen Dall Sheep from a ram I shot. I hear Jacks Bisley Grip frame mod is great also.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

P3160018.jpg

ExMachina

Bearcat
Snyd said:

Oh man! That's the sight base I've been trying to track down for weeks!!! You say that's a WigandDX?--doesn't look like any of the sight bases on the current weigand website... :?: Anyway, whatever is in the pic is the exact base that I want.

What does your 5.5 gun weigh? It's a sweet looker for sure. Love the worn blue too :)

Snyd

Single-Sixer
ExMachina said:
Oh man! That's the sight base I've been trying to track down for weeks!!! You say that's a WigandDX?--doesn't look like any of the sight bases on the current weigand website... :?: Anyway, whatever is in the pic is the exact base that I want.

What does your 5.5 gun weigh? It's a sweet looker for sure. Love the worn blue too :)

The sight base is integrated/machined into the barrel as opposed to soldered on. It is then machined to accept DX sight blades, the pin and spring are added. John Gallagher made the barrel. Gallagher, Bowen and Clements offer these. Maybe Jack too. You'd just have to ask him.

I'm not sure how much the gun weighs. I don't care and it's a non issue.

Here's a pic of the barrel before it was installed.
P6160012.jpg

P6160009.jpg

ExMachina

Bearcat
Forgive me Snyd, but here's a terrible abuse of that beautiful gun, just to give you an idea of what I am thinking about. If did the scaling properly, that's what a 5" bbl with full length ERH should look like. Only difference is that mine (sadly) won't be a flattop.

fLdRHNV.png

And that's extremely helpful about the integrated front sight. That what 2 dogs was saying too. Thanks!!

2 dogs

Buckeye
I did forget to mention the Clements octagonal barrels I have not only have integral front sight bases but they also have a lug for the ejector rod housing. You will have to PM me your contact information including your phone number so I can text you a picture if you like.

fermin

CraigC

Hawkeye
ExMachina said:
Is that with a round barrel you mean?

Right, but I also have very big hands. For example, on my Bisley Blackhawk I found that my right thumb was actually too long to pull the hammer back (Ie, I couldn't bend/contort my thumb enough to make it to the full-cock position--always had to cock it with the weak hand thumb)
Wow!!! Is that yours? Either way, it's gorgeous!!
That's 45oz for the .44 with a factory round barrel.

The integral front sight is nice but a soldered base opens up more possibilities in its design. For instance, Jack built this front sight from a drawing and as you can see, there is no evidence of solder creeping out from under it.

IMG_8888b.jpg

The sixgun that he's finishing for me now has a Ruger #1 style front sight.

That said, Jack machines his barrels in-house and can also do an integrated front sight base if you like.

Even if your thumb reach isn't an issue, it's still going to leave that unsightly gap in the slot at the top of the grip frame. Have you discussed this with Jack?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
ExMachina,

I'd hardly call this a custom, maybe just massaged by me to my liking.

medium800.jpg

45 Colt, 5" barrel with long ejector (-1/4"). I think that's a must for extracting the long 500s. But a 5 1/4" barrel will give you maximum benefit of the long ejector. I also prefer that proportion with a longer grip frame of the Bisley or SBH Hunter grip frame above.

The hammer is a Montado. The checkering provides much better purchase than the grooved Bisley. You can get those from Power Custom and graft to the Bisley base. It has a half cock notch if you like that feature; just have a hump welded on to fit the Bisley grip. Or if you graft it to a Bisley base, than also have the Bisley spur grafted to the 1/2 cock base to sell to someone looking for a Bisley hammer w/o hump for a standard grip frame.

A Bisley trigger will work with any Ruger hammer in a Bisley grip frame. Also in a standard grip frame with just a small adjustment to the length of the trigger slot.

I prefer the Super BH Hunter grip frame (above) with its extra length and round trigger guard which has far more knuckle space behind the trigger gurard than the Bisley.

Those are my suggestions except for a free spin cyl for aligning those large chambers with the loading trough if you don't use a 1/2 cock hammer.

Let us know what you finalize on and enjoy the planning!

ExMachina

Bearcat
All very helpful guys! Please keep the thoughts (and photos!!) coming.

Sounds like I need to get Jack's advice on what options he recommends for Bisley hammer modification.

ExMachina

Bearcat
Well, it took forever and a day to get a base gun. I finally ended up with a nice, circa 1985 blued Bisley and Jack should have it any day now.

In the end I decided on a 5" round barrel with flush cut extended ejector rod. The proportions of the Photoshop mock ups I made really convinced me that this barrel configuration is what I want. Long enough for a full ejector stroke and to visually balance out the 500's massive cylinder.

Only thing I'm undecided on is grips. For a fully blued gun, I'm really interested in off-white paper micarta. Micarta seems more in tune with the revolvers utilitarian function and near white grips can look stunning. However most of the "ivory" micarta I see is too yellow for my liking. Then I found some old posts talking about a "Westinghouse" micarta which looks perfect. Unfortunately I can't find any info about sourcing it. Any tips you fellas may have on locating it (or a close approximation) would be greatly appreciated.

CraigC

Hawkeye
The old Westinghouse micarta is long out of production and very difficult to procure. Though most folks agree that the antique linear paper micarta from Sheffield Knifemaker's Supply is a dead ringer for it. I've ordered several slabs from them and Jack used it for a spare set of grips for my .500. I love the stuff!

IMG_5430b.jpg

IMG_5657b.jpg

IMG_7120e.jpg

Compared to ivory and TruIvory.

IMG_7334b.jpg