a PRETTY GOOD LOAD FOR THE 45 lc

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
i found a pretty good load for my large frame 45lc Blackhawk.

9.5 gr. universal a 240 gr. cast RNFP, a Wnchester lg. pistol primer OAL is 1.580"

Average of the last 6 groups is a tad under 3" at 25 yds sitting with wrists rested on my knees (my favorite position when hunting.)

Velocity is 1035 so it is strictly for a large frame Blackhawk. I would be a little fearful of it is a New Vaquero. Try it, you might like it.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I stopped at 9.0 grains of Universal under a 270 grain Keith style bullet for my Vaquero and it shoots pretty good, and I don't see any signs of excessive pressure.

5of7

Hunter
Luckyducker said:
I stopped at 9.0 grains of Universal under a 270 grain Keith style bullet for my Vaquero and it shoots pretty good, and I don't see any signs of excessive pressure.

Were you able to chronograph it?

Mus408

Hunter
How does that powder compare to Unique? I use 9-9.5 Unique under 250-255 gr. lead bullets in my Bisley Blackhawk. I need to get some chrono numbers on that out of this gun.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I haven't run my load over a chronograph. Universal is similar to Unique, but burning Universal doesn't turn my hands black like Unique. I quit using Unique because it is so dirty even though the loads were good. There are just too many cleaner burning propellants on the market that will get the job done.

5of7

Hunter
Luckyducker said:
I haven't run my load over a chronograph. Universal is similar to Unique, but burning Universal doesn't turn my hands black like Unique. I quit using Unique because it is so dirty even though the loads were good. There are just too many cleaner burning propellants on the market that will get the job done.

I agree to your assessment of Unique and the fact that Universal is quite similar in burning rate to Unique. I have used Universal in lieu of Unique since I bought my fist 8 pound bottle for skeet loads and have not been surprised yet. 8)

Rclark

Hunter
For those who haven't read Brian Pearce's Article on .45 Colt loads using the 45-270 bullet: .45 Colt Article . Just some interesting reading. Unique/Universal has always been a good powder for the .45 Colt. Like it myself. However, been loading a lot of Green Dot for my General loads, and HS-6 for my woods load. I reserve Unique for my .44 Mag/.44Spec loads. Why? I don't know ... Just works for me :) . When using Unique/Universal I stick with 8.5g under 250g RNFP or 255g SWC.

Rclark said:
For those who haven't read Brian Pearce's Article on .45 Colt loads using the 45-270 bullet: .45 Colt Article . Just some interesting reading. Unique/Universal has always been a good powder for the .45 Colt. Like it myself. However, been loading a lot of Green Dot for my General loads, and HS-6 for my woods load. I reserve Unique for my .44 Mag/.44Spec loads. Why? I don't know ... Just works for me :) . When using Unique/Universal I stick with 8.5g under 255g RNFP or 255g SWC.

Pretty much my observations, as well. I use Unique or Green Dot with 255-gr RNFPs with total satisfaction.

:)

sixshot

Buckeye
I've used 9 grs of Unique with the Keith bullet for many, many years in my Ruger Blackhawks & full size Bisley's with great success, also taken a few deer & lots of small game with that load. Universal works just as good. Resting the hands between the knees is a more steady position but you must get your cylinder past your pants or use some leather or some other protection or you will burn a hole in your pants, etc. Don't want to burn your legs! This is one of my most used hunting positions & I've taken deer, elk, bear & so much small game I couldn't count it, mostly with some sort of back rest.

Dick